ELO is a measurement of Unity not skill

12345 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

phatcat09

11-26-2012

Edit: I reached the word limit for the post I will try and restart the topic.

For every upvote you see there's at least 1/2 a downvote so please upvote! Just because YOU already understand this doesn't mean everyone does. You have no right to complain about bad player performance if you're doing nothing to help! End of a game? Link them here.

You are not a Toxic person don't let names define who you are or you'll become it.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Dynamic Entry!

If you would consider upvoting this thread I would appreciate it. It's a common misconception that the game will suddenly be more interesting and exciting as you progress in ELO, past a certain point, this is simply not true, don't delude yourself with the unobtainable and cause added frustration. I want more people to feel empowered to make the better decision when the situation arises by having a set of criteria to think on before engaging haphazardly with your champion. If there is one Metaphor I can give to help those who are even having trouble understanding the text below it's that you are like an untrained fighter. From the streets. You know and have an idea of what hurts and how to do it, and you may be able to perform it very well, but up against a trained fighter you are no match ask yourself WHY. Is it because the other person is stronger than you? No. all things being equal if you as a fighter are of equitable strengths then the only reason you left to consider is that the trained fighter has knowledge you haven't considered because you've just "done" all your life. It's all you know. Bring it back to LoL. Accepting the information below isn't an admission of innate weakness it's a sign of strength to see the limit you've reached and work to defeat the things holding you back which in the context of League of Legends is the Following:

It is Observed:

ELO is not a direct indicator of a players skill with champions or champion roles.

ELO is an Indirect indicator of overall-skill by a correlating series of variables.

Your skill level with a particualr champion or champion type does not cause your ELO to rise. (although I'd love to play a game where it does!)

But rather your efficiency at Core skill areas causes your ELO to rise.

Ergo ELO is a measurement of your ability to perform well in key skill areas as they arise per game, and the measurement of efficiency as a ratio between consistency and mastery, sub-sequentially leading to the greater statement that ELO is an indicator of likelihood of Success. (i.e it stands reasonable to believe that if you play well you are more likely to succeed -- so ELO shows both how consistently successful you are and how good you are at the core skill areas.) and in fact can not independently represent either and must represent both simultaneously because of it.

Defined

Efficiency: [Read observed Proficiency to implement the Core Skill Area concepts (i.e you must do it well, not just understand how) and Consistency in implementing the Core Skill Area concepts (i.e it is not enough to do it right once, you must learn how to do the steps consistently game to game)]

Skill: 1. the ability to do something well; expertise: difficult work, taking great skill 2. a particular ability: the basic skills of cooking

E.G 1 (Miigi has demonstrated great skill in reasoning) E.G 2 (Miigi has learned the Skill HM01, but cut isn't very successful)

"Teach a Man to fish..."

Core Skill Areas In order of importance:

1. Map Awareness
2. Ability to gauge an opponents power level vs your own (Also not falling behind in your farm -- your power level wont increase unless you buy the items to increase your power. Champion levels are not enough and I fall off quickly after level 6 for most heroes.)
3. Analyzing your terrain/path before motioning to engage in a fight. (How to properly start a team fight, how to make the environment work for you, how to not put yourself out of position, how to cut people off)
4. Global Utility vs Champion utility
5. Actual Combat (Lane, Gank, Teamfight, and 1 v 1) [Note: Special case - 5 is considered a Core Skill area;however, it is also the least needed to be TAUGHT for becoming Efficient at playing the game. Playing a champion and getting better with the champion comes naturally with practice, and observation and is easily identifiable by the novice as understand that they need to get better with the hero, but for the purposes of this thread we are only considering 1 - 4 being the underrepresented of the 5. They should truly be taught in order 1 - 5. Otherwise the Status Quo occurs, misunderstandings of what the proverbial "being good" means.

Note: Sometimes sitting down and pounding a way different strategies for heroes helps you grow finding the best play style for your particular personal strengths. I can't last hit to save my life because of the types of heroes I play who don't rely on that ability, but I have a ridiculous sense of map awareness playing Evelynn which gives me great insight into typical player movements

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This is the Breakdown

First and foremost quiet your mind I can already feel 40% of you saying no in your heads. You literally just wrote off my assertions before even hearing my support.

If you're doing this already then don't bother reading because you'll read it under an unfair lens, know I'm trying to help it can't HURT you to try it.

1. Map Awareness

1. Imagine if you will that the entire map was revealed (iseedeadpeople), including stealth units. Ask yourself: "Why would I ever die from a gank again if this was true?" If you can not avoid being ganked for an entire game then inherently you are doing something wrong, because it stands that the only reason ganks are successful is because of the element of surprise. Eliminate the element of surprise and then there is nothing else preventing you from knowing someone is about to gank you. This can be done by taking in other sensory stimulus (auditory and visual) to determine where people are, or more importantly where they AREN'T, it's almost impossible to know the exact location of where someone is at all times, but it is more than feasible to understand where they aren't.

If you have low map-awareness it's probably do to the fact you don't play a diverse amount of roles that require you to be more aware of the map. Stealth Units, Champions with traps, Junglers, and Supports all learn a degree of map awareness that can aid you in determining where the other players are on the map. These roles will give you greater insight into player behavior and movement and help you better judge when enemy champions are coming or where they are jungling.

I can honestly say if you're playing Evelynn and you don't have at least 1 successful kill on the enemy jungle you're doing something very wrong! One of your primary objectives should be stalking the jungle as a counter if applicable to your team composition, that is to say your team can do dual solo lanes while you roam.

In addition you must be aware of where people are on the map at all time including yourself! A lot of people forget that the minimap gives the location of every player indiscriminately if they're in viewing range of an enemy minion. If you show to the enemy team that your entire team is top they're going to take advantage of teh time it will take for you to go to dragon or bottom to secure a tower kill or dragon kill, or any number of tactical advantage type moves.

Never, EVER indicate your presence to the other team you're hurting yourself by doing this! Go the long way if it means you'll stay in the shadows, avoid common warding areas. Out think the enemy, give them a false sense of security. Don't kill of their sight wards immediately lul them in to a false sense of security, and take advantage of their ignorance to create the correct situation for yourself and your team.

Watch your characters auto-movements to destinations, set-up ganks along the common walking paths etc.

The concept is boundless wards are non-essential for having a greater sense of map awareness and if you fail to develop the greater sense of map awareness you become crutched on wards.

If you're only using wards to watch baron and dragon, or to watch for river ganks; you're doing it inefficiently. You can maximize your wards potential by proactively warding areas you want to start fights in, and other techniques that are hard to discuss at length.

It IS possible to accurately locate people even if you don't know where they are by looking for the visual cues (red, blue, dragon respawn) that sense you have when you know the enemy team is at baron is a sense you can hone for knowing where they are/are not throughout the entire game.

Back to the lane:

If you die more than once to a gank from the bushes per game then you are doing something wrong and need to correct it, or you will lose your lane causing stress on the rest of your team. Ward the bush avoid the bush, be ready to escape, keep track of the Jungler, call out to each other different palyer behaviors. Examine when people are intentionally backing off because it could be a signal they're trying to get you to push for a successful gank.

After you've developed map awareness you'll become more confident in committing to taking towers since you'll be able to anticipate their movements better, and you'll never have to worry about the bushes again. So we've already eliminated one thing that holds players back, and you should be happy that it CAN be done! You can be better, but you must actively force yourself to keep track WATCH YOUR MINIMAP!

Inverse this concept in order to Gank more effectively as well. Create the illusion that you aren't there and you can literally gank your own lane. It's a technique I developed where you run in and out of bushes repeatedly making sure to harass the enemy hero, eventually they'll become complacent with that as your "lane strategy" and wont think anything of it if you don't pop out again, they'll just assume you'll likely be there. You can use this time of a bout 10-15 second window to go gank middle or any other lane or to go counter jungle or any number of things.

There are variations of the above technique to overcome others knowledge of its use.

2. Ability to gauge an opponents power level vs your own

2. Never start a fight you're not sure you can't win, if you're saying to yourself as you read this you can never be 100% sure. You're very wrong. This game is a numbers game with practice you can learn a few tricks for checking your opponents power level without the help of a scouter. Here are a few techniques I use while I'm playing that I've since learned to do in my head but you can do on paper, but you really shouldn't....

2a. Rapid Poke test: Test your opponents resistance by poking them with whatever poke spell you have, or basic attack. If there lifebar moves 1/10 with your poke, and that life amount doesn't refill in under 8 seconds it's a safe bet to assume that under the right conditions you will at least be able to damage them in a highly consistent manner, even against their resistances (Health/Health Regen/Defense) if your poke doesn't pass the test then stay the **** away and farm until it works! Always test your damage before engaging

If the odds are stacked against your favor, and of both players have equitable damage dealing classes, then the only difference (assuming all things consistent) comes down to is a players maneuvering ability and to the ability to mitigate damage on themselves -- Summoner spells, support buffs, etc.

These are the things by design that tip the scales of a fight to avoid the deadlock or from having one hero become unbearably overpowered in every fight because of their particular skill set. Exhaust and Heal and Cleanse are perfect examples of defensive damage mitigation abilities -- while Ghost and Flash make great maneuverability advantages. (avoiding skill shots creating distance).

Be extra weary of tank type characters and supports. They by design are capable of mitigating damage inherently and can trick you into a false sense of secured victory (Zilean) Watch for their utility type spells and summoner spells, when palyed correctly Supports are the MOST difficult to kill, don't be tricked into focusing them first (even if they are the squishiest) if their Champion skill level is greater than you ability to overcome it! Create the correct situation for yourself before engaging.

Side Note: Dota achieves a similar process through itemization -- aye all Mobas have these particular core-skill sets.

2b. Defense Check intentionally get hit by the enemies attack compare your own resistance opposite of 2A and make upgrades that will allow you to go in with the resistance advantage, don't just stack straight attack items. It can be in your favor to get health early if you're finding yourself in messy 2 vs 2. At the same time sacrificing defense if you can avoid the enemy players damage while increasing your attack power can help you overcome an enemy who's stacking health, but hitting weak. It's a beautiful balance really.

Apparently I have to mention that if you're not going to be able to 1 v 1 a hero then don't ever do it. Not every hero is suited for direct combat. I really didn't think I had to type this, but I do apparently...

As an Avid Evelynn player I can't stress how many games I've turned around by instinctively leading against the AP burst with exhaust at the start of a fight to render them useless for a window (FU ORIANA), simultaneously saving my team from being bursted down in AOE, while reciprocating with my own equally powerful burst. Massive psychological advantage.

Who you go after is just as important as who you don't go after.

Analyze the opposing teams strategy and prepare to counter!

Which is the perfect Segue into the next topic:

3. Analyzing your Environment before properly motioning to engage in a fight.

3. This one would seem rudimentary and and it's the most obvious of the ones out of the list, but I'm sure you've all have scratched your head about why someone would run along the same path as a champion they're chasing instead of trying to cut them off. Or when you're chasing someone through the jungle and instead of using their aoe's to check bushes they run face first and die almost instantly to a counter gank.

The first thing you need to be aware of when starting a fight is everything.

These are common questions to consider before engaging in a fight.

1. What Summoner Spells do they have up?
2. When was the last time they use their ultimate?
3. Do they have escape abilities and if so how should I prepare to overcome their evasive maneuver?
4. Where is their jungler?
5. What walls can be used to get away and how can I cut them off?
6. Where are the other enemy team members?
7. Do we have a tower to fall back on?
8. How soon until my team mates can get here and can I start the fight before they get here to bait the enemy team into chasing me to kill me at the point of their arrival?
9. Is Dragon up and can I get it?
10. Do I really need to push them now or can I have them push back to set-up a proper gank?

What these 10 questions boil down to is making the BEST decision for your situation. Too often is it observed that players fail to consider any of these things and haphazardly start fights without taking basic risk-reduction precautions. If you can confidently answer to whichever number of questions apply to your situation positively and with satisfactory assurance then you have minimized risk and will be better suited to starting a proper fight.

Every member on the team should be aware of an exit strategy should the gank be misanalysed and go awry. This is not to say every situation has a valid exit strategy, but there are plenty of situations with which to avoid unnecessary causalities and I'm sure a lare sum of you have had those moments where you question "Why in the world would they ever think that's a good idea" well the reason is because they haven't been made aware of it yet.

Common Risk Reduction Strategies:

These are ways of assuring you aren't overextending without a backup plan or ineffciently using your hero abilities (kits).

1. Checking bushes with AOE attacks to get a lead on or potentially prevent a counter gank when chasing through the jungle.

2. Monitor your in game clock for time in order to keep track of Jungler activities A jungler looks for the most deprived lane to gank (low life, low mana, summoner spells on cool down, ultimates blown, etc) so be aware of the image you're presenting while pushing down on the enemy, you may feel comfortable upholding a push, but the enemy team see's it as overextension and will commit to a kill if they see you as an easily executed threat, challenging your skill with a champion in getting "tactfully-retreating" or counter-attacking, avoid this by simply not putting yourself in the situation in the first place. Your death is far more valuable than the few extra cs you may pick up with your heavy push.

3. Provide cover fire while tactfully-retreating with a mortally wounded ally. Don't just run away if you have a mobile-poke (one that won't cause your character to stop for to long). IF you're providing no cover fire your ally your just as responsible for their death as the enemy is. Throwing micro damage at an opponent my deter them from pursuing you both, or at the very least the extra damage your poke provides might be just what your ally needs to launch a big burst spell that was on CD as you ran away turning this hot pursuit into a reverse murder, and reverse murders are the all the rage ---- like planking or listening to Electronic Dance Music. In other words Ever little bit helps. The fight doesn't stop when you run away!

4. Combo your hits. This one confuses a lot of people, but players have a way of perceiving how much damage they're taking verses how much they're doing verses how much more they can handle --- during any type of fight; However, what they have trouble understanding is readjusting their perceptions to account for simultaneous damage burst. That is to say using spells at the same time to out-burst someones ability to perceive and counter a threat properly. Using Evelynn's Ultimate in combination with Karthus, can create a devastating visual affect and damage output that over burdens the enemy with information causing them to improperly act with desicisions to stay, flee, or any numbe rof desicisos that occur when your entire team has just been hit for 30-45% of their life 700 to 1000+ damage At the same time.

5. Combo your stuns and other support spells. To many times do people all use their stuns at the same time instead of saving them to lock an enemy hero down, or counter channeled ultimate (FU KATARINA). Be aware of what types of combinations you can do to maximize your CCs usage. These types of maneuvers shouldn't happen only by coincidence and are easy to enact.

6. Fake-out the enemy team by feigning that your going to assist another lane, or draw the enemies attention in two directions to distract them from whatever tehir goal is, make yourself appear to be a more desirable target when in actuality you wer baiting their attention away, make them THINK they're in control when in reality you're creating the correct situation for yourself and having them fall "right into my trap!"

7. CHILL OUT AND WAIT Just like in basketball make the game move at your pace, you don't have to keep up a push, you can stand still and wait for your cooldowns or life to return to to a healthy level before engaging in combat again. Pretend to leave an area and instead stay in a bush nearby, if done properly you'll fool the enemy team into thinking you've left because you expected them to come for you, but in reality you're taking advantage of their inability to truely know and can return to your tower push after you've come to a safe conclusion that they're far enough away that they wont be able to come for you in time.

8. Place wards over the side of your Base walls, these can help you be more aware of the incoming skill shots coming over the wall that could cause serious initiation problems.

9. Stay behind your tank, to some this may seem obvious, but to others you must understand that outpacing your tank into the fog of war or in intiating team fights can result in your entire teams failure. If you're an ADC then you're making up a large majority of your teams damage in a team fight, if you go first then you're putting yourself in a high risk situation of Not only dyign, but also taking the majority of your teams DPS in a team fight with you. Don't be selfish let the tank do his job! Just because you can take a few hits doesn't mean your the best suited for it, and more importantly consider where you're failing your team at if you aren't doing damage.

10. Don't leave your base if all your towers are down and all your lanes are pushed It drives me insane to watch people throw games away by carelessly leaving their base unattended. If all your towers are down and your base is virtually unprotected Don't leave your base there is no possible benefit in doing so. The enemy team has near full visual of the map so they now can best make every decision because they know where you aren't at all times. The only defense you have is the fact the enemy is forced to enter your base from one of three entrances. Instead of waltzing out into the lanes where the enemy could attack you from all sides and without warning; force them to come form only one direction and with terrain obstacles (narrow base entrances) helping you. Push after you've minimized the threat to your base (number of enemy champions alive, lanes pushed at least mid way to river) or if you're certain they're tied up at dragon or baron and can counter gank them.

4. Global Utility vs Champion utility

4. Just because a hero isn't labeled as support or even if they don't seem to have a "support" skill doesn't mean they can't still support. Rather than telling you what to do I'll list examples and have you find out how to use them.

4a. Teemos blind, running in and out of bushes to trick the enemy team in thinking your in the bushes constantly giving them a false since of map awareness allowing you to go gank unknown to them, using cleanse to block ashes stun of your team without resulting in yourself being ganked (works well with skarner), blocking an enemy's minion wave as a jungler or high-escape hero so that your team can keep up a push on the enemy's tower creating stress on the enemy team, smite as an instant pathing opener for enemies who are using their minions to escape, intentionally swapping your entire damage set to defense in order to bait the enemy team into think you're squishy, but then they blow all their CDs on you expecting you to die, not realizing until it's too late that they were duped, losing the team fight.

There are techniques you can use that not any one hero has that are as valuable as any hero skill if done properly, explore how your abilities can be used in other ways

5. Actual Combat (Lane, Gank, Teamfight, and 1 v 1)

5. Once you can master your Environment then actual skill with your hero comes into play.

There are no SUPER MEGA OP OH MY GOD RAGEEEEEE heroes. They pop up, but that's why balance is a constant process. To keep the "sport" of the game fair. A caveat of non-dynamic Hero systems i.e the heroes don't by design change their skill sets, which would be ideal considering each new challenger would force previous heroes to improve their tactics to account for what new tactics they're using. [/B]

Name any hero and I will counter it for you if you are having trouble message me in game!

If you notice that you're playing your hero well "killing, assisting, etc", but are still a low ELO reassess how you're playing the game in general. Not just how you're doing with your character. What are you doing to help other players?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the conclusion

Low ELO doesn't necessarily mean you're bad at playing your hero, it means you haven't fully recognized how to achieve the character you're playing's maximal potential that will help you beat the other players in 1 v 1 and propel you ahead so that you don't have to worry about 1-4.

Some of you are terrible at Champion Skill though so don't kid yourselves, but for the really frustrated out there heed my advice on 1-4 you'll notice an improvement.

I went from being 30-90 in season to to 11X-12X something by the end of the season and was well on my way to climbing up in ELO.

"But what about the game ruiners like leavers"

Aye, those are there, but the majority of games statistically speaking aren't like this, and you know it, so as long as you play the right way statistically, even if it takes longer, you WILL go up in ELO consistently. There's no denying it.

And if you're going "NO" still then why are you even still playing? These are the realities of the game learn to play the game don't try to force the game to become what you want.

ELO is NOT and assessment of Skill at playing a particular Champion or Class type. You may perform well with your champion in terms of being able to to pull off proper tactical maneuvers, but what is working against you is your lack of Skill with regards to other skill areas that have a compounding affect on your ability to play successfully through the game.

ELO is more accurately described as an ASSESSMENT at being consistently successful with heroes because YOU'VE ELIMINATED THE VARIABLES THAT WORK AGAINST YOU, in addition to understanding how to use a Champion most efficiently. If you're losing out in team fights learn to better understand how to set-up the situation for your FAVOR don't just start 5 v 5 after 5 v 5 and expect the same results (Insanity). Determine the correct out, communicate your damage mitigation plans. Become efficient at the Core Skills[/B]

Don't be discouraged. Recognize the inconsistencies you're making and determine why your matches are resulting as a Loss even though you have an understanding of what to do.

Namaste

The Hobo Lord

11-26-2012

You get higher elo by match making putting all the feeders on the enemy team. There's nothing you can do if the feeders are on your team unless you're like hotshotgg.

FrozenXylaphone

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2012

so 1 v 1 shows true skill?

phatcat09

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenXylaphone View Post
so 1 v 1 shows true skill?
1 v 1 with heroes who are equitably balanced to the situation yes.

i.e 6 Death cap Evelynn vs Nasus isn't a fair fight since she can kill Nasus before he even hits her

But if Nasus can see her he can Exhaust heal and take her out in the half step between her % aoe nukes.|

CREATE THE CORRECT SITUATION FOR YOURSELF, there is balance in the seemingly unbalanced!

Verisimilitastic

11-26-2012

This is an incredibly well thought out analysis.

I'm at a fairly low ELO right now and have been wondering where to focus my attention. I had assumed that I just needed to practice specific champions' combat skills to improve. Your post made me realize that I am missing some basic skills outside of actual combat that need some serious focused work. Item 2, specifically, is something that hadn't even occurred to me.

So thank you for putting this together. If nothing else, you've helped at least one member of the community.

phatcat09

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verisimilitastic View Post
This is an incredibly well thought out analysis.

I'm at a fairly low ELO right now and have been wondering where to focus my attention. I had assumed that I just needed to practice specific champions' combat skills to improve. Your post made me realize that I am missing some basic skills outside of actual combat that need some serious focused work. Item 2, specifically, is something that hadn't even occurred to me.

So thank you for putting this together. If nothing else, you've helped at least one member of the community.

Awwe that's all I need to hear to be happy ^-^

Colinsworth

11-26-2012

ELO is a direct measure of probability of victory based on past performance. I also don't see how the term "skill" is any different from of the actions you just listed...

Olek Skilgannon

11-26-2012

You need to add last hitting to the list.

When I first started playing, it took me about 10 games to understand how to use a champions skillset to defeat my opponent. I was fairly good at combat pretty early on. I thank WoW for this.

I would be in a game, go all out on my opponent and smash their face in. 10 minutes later, I would go in on the enemy opponent and lose. I was like WTF. I was still playing my champion better, but I didn't have the stats to compete vs. them anymore. I pressed tab and bam, sometimes they had more than 4 times my cs.

I had to force my self to play passively and just farm. I started basically playing solitaire. I would completely ignore my lane opponent and focus ONLY on farm for the first 15 minutes of the game. Once I started getting my last hitting down, I combined it with my combat skills and BOOM, more winning.

I actually still see last hitting as my biggest weakness in the game. I feel like if I got to the point where I can get 150+ cs at 15 minutes I'd be playing a whole new game.

phatcat09

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olek Skilgannon View Post
I actually still see last hitting as my biggest weakness in the game. I feel like if I got to the point where I can get 150+ cs at 15 minutes I'd be playing a whole new game.
You mean not forgetting that you need to earn your weapons?

phatcat09

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinsworth View Post
ELO is a direct measure of probability of victory based on past performance. I also don't see how the term "skill" is any different from of the actions you just listed...
This is like saying your fuel gauge is a measure probability of capacity based on weight...

In other words nothing.

Edit: Say things for others to understand not just so you can.

12345 ... 9