Pet Champion?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

11-26-2012
8 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Pikmin View Post
Griftrix, you forgot to mention that you aren't a designer!
But I'm just asking for clarification from people. I'm trying not to give editorial (but a little sneaks by now and then).

Draconis85

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
But I thought the main issue was pet control, which is what I was asking about. I've heard people don't like the control of Orianna (some do) and others don't like the mindlessness of Yorick pets. Orianna's ball has VERY cool special abilities, but some people got mad when I mentioned that, so I want to know what CONTROL options are important.
I think what most of the community wants is an option that fulfills the role of control, yet throttled back to a point as to not allow for the champion to play too well or too badly. In other words, some of the better players in the community could take advantage of inherent exploits via their better multi-tasking, while more novice or less advanced players could become inundated with having to many options and fizzle with the champ every time. So allow the movement and targeting aspects to be controlled while limiting any built in abilities the pet may have to auto-casting or chosen aspect via leveling up, then limit the energy source the pet uses to limit potential exploitation.

Spitsonpuppies

11-26-2012

Nunu.

I Am Tolan

11-26-2012

Can i throw an idea out in the blue?

K, so what if The "pet" champion's abilities where to call out (using a whistle of sorts) that would activate pets, sort of like what udyr does but with a pet at your command.

Q - Command Hawk [Summons a Hawk at your command that inflicts bleeds with auto attacks (can only be activated once every 3 seconds)]

W - Command Bear [Summons a Bear at your command that Inflicts a 1 second stun with auto attacks ( can be activated once every 5 seconds)]

E - Command Tiger[Passive: increases Chance to critically strike an opponent by X (goes up per lvl) Active: Summons a Tiger at your command that Increases movement speed and attack speed for you and your pet for X and Y seconds.]

R- Summon Beasts[Summons all of your pets for x/x/x seconds that are controlled under one unit command.]

Desmond Law

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsonpuppies View Post
Nunu.
nunu is more a cheuffer than a pet.

Rauron

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
To be fair... Orianna feels like a lifeless extension of power (she's a clockwork).
She doesn't feel that way, though. She feels very alive, just... off. This is especially salient in her judgement (lol what judgements), where she reacts in very human ways, just without all the social information humans have.

Pokeprof

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2012

I think people when people say they want a pet champion, they want it where they've got something like Annies Tibers out all the time. A pet that walks about, you can command and have it auto attack, but is also distinctly separate for the champion in question.

I think the main problem here though in doing that is not only how well can the champion control (since I still find it odd at times to try and control Morde's Ghost through R or Alt, as it doesn't always feel like it responds correctly) but also the problem of health. Making the pet being unattackable would make it too strong for it to auto attack and making it have health would make it the champion too weak if he's reliant on keeping his pet alive to do damage, which has actually always been one of the main problems in World of Warcraft when it's come to the hunter class.

I honestly don't see a way for it to really work in League of Legends.

Desmond Law

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauron View Post
She doesn't feel that way, though. She feels very alive, just... off. This is especially salient in her judgement (lol what judgements), where she reacts in very human ways, just without all the social information humans have.
I know what makes them tick... I know how to make the ticking stop.

ottoawesome

11-26-2012

Malz voidling :d

d4o5i

11-26-2012

When I think of a completely dedicated Pet champion, I think of Yorick's ghouls with Tibbers' control, with an infinite duration. Each spell would have an activation component, and during the ghoul's life would be commanded with re-"casts" of the appropriate spell. After dying there would be some cool-down, and then you'd repeat the process.
In my opinion, this would work best with an Udyr-style level-up system, where the R is just a different kind of basic minion.
The champion's minions could be enhanced differently depending on gear, and that would allow the champion to fulfill multiple roles depending heavily on items. A mini-AD carry minion scaling with Bonus AD, a mini-caster minion with AoE scaling on AP, a mini-tank minion with scaling Armor/Resist/Health based on the champion's, etc.