Pet Champion?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Best Fizz EU

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2012

Griftrix, you forgot to mention that you aren't a designer!

Labcown

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
But I thought the main issue was pet control, which is what I was asking about. I've heard people don't like the control of Orianna (some do) and others don't like the mindlessness of Yorick pets. Orianna's ball has VERY cool special abilities, but some people got mad when I mentioned that, so I want to know what CONTROL options are important.
In the case of Orianna, she does have tons of control over her ball so much so, however, that most people consider it an extension of Orianna and not exactly the typical view of a pet. What her kit essentially is just a list of commands for her pet, she herself does nothing besides throwing gears at people if you look at it that way. Don't get me wrong, she is an awesome champion, I think most people just started flipping tables when you tagged her as a pet champion.

For control options in an actual pet champion, I would like to see:

1) Independment movement control. You already have the command set in for pets to be moved with Alt+Click, so it's not a stretch to have a champion wrapped around this.

2) Set, maybe Changeable Behavior. This is what'll make this guy feel like an actual pet champion. Maybe it's just "attack nearest champion" or maybe it's more intricate (as it should!) than that, but this is probably the key point. If you could change how the pet behaved (Via side effect from a skill or something) that would just serve to add depth and coolness!

3) Skill Interaction. This is where you uniquely tie the champion into his pet. Maybe you have a Lee-Sin styled skill set, where you can dual activate skills, and the second one pertains to your pet. Or Maybe you have the dual skills, but you can cast each other independently (With Alt+QWER?) for an even better variety of combinations.

I.E. Quick archetypical hunter w/ pet skill

Q: Blood-Seeking Shot / Frenzied Tackle.

I. Fire a skillshot in a straight line, until it hits an enemy unit. If the enemy unit is a champion, he is marked with blood.

II. Sends your pet into a frenzied tackle, making him dash a few feet in the direction of your cursor. If he hits a champion marked with blood, he deals X amount of damage and slows. Enemy units hit by this skill get slowed for X seconds (just to make sure it's not useless if you miss your skillshot completly.)

Doxkid

11-26-2012

Draaaaaven?

Seachy

11-26-2012

I hope if they ever do implement a champion like this he is a dragon tamer!

Absolute 42

11-26-2012

I think that there are 2 separate pet-champion fantasies that Riot could fulfill.

1. Champ with one dedicated, loyal pet. This pet would have stats, a personality, and the ability to attack a different target than the champion or attack while the champion moves. The champion's abilities would probably revolve around the one pet, which is necessary for max damage, and it would really hurt if the pet died (long CD pet revive or something). For this fantasy, think WoW hunter with trusty pet companion.

2. Champ with an army of pets. For this fantasy, think a necromancer that summons a horde of skeletons to attack enemies. These pets wouldn't last forever and would have low health/stats, but you could summon a lot of em. It would be you roaming around the map/lane with a murder gang or the potential to spawn one at a moment's notice.

Soliele

11-26-2012

I'm just going to throw some ideas out there, because I understand the difficulty of implementing a pet class into LoL. You can't expect LoL to have DotA style pet classes because LoL and DotA are very different games.

My biggest issue with having a pet that isn't quickly killed (zyras plants or Elise's spiderlings) or on a time limit (yorick and malz) or both is that it creates an extra player. In a 5v5 if you have a pet that has a skill set of its own and decent survivability to have created a 6v5 where the pet and owner have to be killed, because a smart owner wouldn't allow themselves to be too deep in the action.

To combat this I think if there were a lifelink between pet and master, where the master loses at least a portion of the health that the pet loses.

Also I like the nidalee style toggle idea mentioned earlier where the "r" skill toggles to the pets skills and the master and pet share cool downs.

Dragonrend

11-26-2012

Quote:
But I thought the main issue was pet control, which is what I was asking about. I've heard people don't like the control of Orianna (some do) and others don't like the mindlessness of Yorick pets. Orianna's ball has VERY cool special abilities, but some people got mad when I mentioned that, so I want to know what CONTROL options are important.
It seems he wants a champ that functions in 2 parts. One is the main champs abilities and the other is the pet's abilities. Think Jayce but with an Orianna kind of playstyle. One set of moves for a champ, another for the pet.

Autorevolver

11-26-2012

I think something that would function similarly to orianna's ball would be really cool. For some reason I got this idea in my head of a frail little girl being guarded by her tough burly father (or mother.) You'd move the little girl around and do no actual attacks with her other than maybe auto attacking (throwing rocks) but all of your skills are dependently on where the positioning of her guardian is.

Q could be like orianna's to simply change the positioning of the guardian, and then the skills could either be radial like orianna's ball or target oriented but with the radius centered around her guardian rather than the actual champ. Idk just a thought.

turrdfergason

11-26-2012

Quote:
The pet has a short list of control options:
1) Attack a specific target until told to retreat
2) be set in a mode to attack anything that attacks you
3) be set in a mode to attack anything near it
4) can be taken over completely by the player, leaving the player character basically stunned for the duration

beyond that, they have some abilities that can be auto cast or activated.

Which of these control options are most important to you? Also, if I've missed something about pet control (haven't played in a LONG time) just chime in with that if it's important.
I have though quite alot about having a pet champion in LoL. IMO I don't believe having 4) would be a fun kit to play or play against.

How about a kit like this.

1. Pet can attack anything you command it to attack
2. Pet can be set to auto defend or auto attack
3. Pet can not be controlled directly by the player.
4. Pet's abilities can level up, or champs abilities can level up. Resulting in dynamic gameplay that would allow you to adjust to the type of enemies you are facing. (either more dps, or tanky, etc)

I believe a well made "pet champion" would be very "doable" and could result in a fresh experience and a great champion.

gregorymarco

11-26-2012

Quote:
They mean a "Pet" that is a main mechanic to the character's gameplay. This "Pet" is controlled by the character to a degree, whether it be to attack, defend, fall back, etc. It would have it's own set of abilities that are the main focus of the champ's damage. It would have a health bar. Not like super-minions tough, but strong enough not to be killed by basic AOE. I would assume that this character would have a variety of pets for different situations, and maybe have a massive summon/ult ability. Think malz's final stage voidling, with significant damage&health increase, better AI, and it's own set of abilities. Malz of course would have less damage.