I'm RiotGypsy. AMAA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Orangatang

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-25-2012

1) Are you guys into releasing new champions below 6300, like in the ancient time?
2) What would the lifetime RP purchase rewards most likely be?

gypsylord

Champion Designer

11-25-2012
56 of 65 Riot Posts

64:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox P McCloud View Post
Gypsy, what are your thoughts on how these two characters+archetypes would fit into LoL?

Werewolf (IMO Warwick doesn't fill this archetype/fantasy well, he's more of the "MUST HAVE BLOOD" type)---melee carry pet hero who's slightly more durable than your typical melee carries, but a bit more durable (think Lycan from DotA2).
AD single target burst carry---extremely high burst single target DPS, but low overall DPS and is high incentivized not to build attack speed---falls off mid-late to late game (think Templar Assassin).

I know you're somewhat familiar with DotA, so I figured heck, might as well run these two ideas by ya.
Pet heroes are hard in our game. We don't really have the best controls for them. The durable part of melee carry in DOTA2 comes from the fact that carries get health when they build damage. In our game tanky melee DPS is just a bruiser.

A werewolf/werecat kind of character could be cool. I wrote up a paper kit for a panther type character a few weeks ago that gained MS, AS and Crit the lower health her targets were. Theme was to make a hunter that "got the blood rage" and ripped you apart when it sensed weakness. Would fit on a were-themed character. Would have to be careful for overlap with WW. Just a paper kit though, haven't had time to really implement it and see if it's actually fun.

AD burst carries are already in our game. They're dudes like Talon and Kha'zix. Burst a single guy, low sustained damage, falls off late game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox P McCloud View Post
Don't you think there's a lot of legitimate examples though of newer ones pushing out older ones? Diana largely pushes out Akali (superior CC, tankiness, not gated late game, better itemization, better CC, but effectively does the same thing), Annie is pushed out by most of modern mages (Orianna and Zyra both completely invalidate her existence, for example as they have very similar burst, but vastly vastly superior utility and CC) to name a couple examples.

I realize that not every new champ completely invalidates every old champ, but some of the old champs you've named are incredibly unique and haven't had anything remotely similar to them made---those with a lot of overlap, however, it seems the newer ones edge out the older ones.
You're totally correct. Diana in a lot of ways is Akali 2.0 and Annie does have some problems in lane due to her range vs other mages. I was more speaking to the sentiment that "Riot only makes new OP champs and doesn't care about the old ones." There's examples of characters getting pushed out in both directions. Diana puts pressure on Akali and meanwhile Amumu is putting pressure on characters like Sejuani. All in all release date isn't really a good metric for how viable a character is. It's more about "does this character have a niche. What can they do that no one else does?" If a champ doesn't have that it's going to get pushed out by someone else (or be doing the pushing), regardless of when it was released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBuzzJack View Post
What is the weirdest bug you have encountered while working as a champion designer?
I'd love to tell you but it was on my champion and would give away what one of her moves does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogaflow View Post
Was curious if you could give any hints as to what inspiration you are using for your champion. Such as theme or attitude.
Can't say much about this without giving stuff away :X Badass female (insert role here).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimofo View Post
Do you play Counter-Strike?
No, prefer TF2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRadioGiant View Post
Will we ever get the Mountain Giant Archetype as a champion? Massive tower sized man with a giant weapon. I always loved playing this archetype, mainly because I am 6'10.

I dont mean like a giant slab of mountain, like Malphite. I mean like something fully feasted Cho'Gath size with a giant club, rather rough looking proportions and limbs etc.,

Kinda like this:
Could be cool, no plans for someone like this yet but has potential. Imagine a character who could pick up and enemy and chuck him somewhere. That'd be cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemorselessEcho View Post
Hello gypsy. I have a question to ask.
Why is it that the designers shy away from the more "exotic" concepts for champions?
Things like mana shield with 1 HP, scaling based on other stats like mana (ryze is one), or rather, missing mana. Also more exotic types of playstyles, like a risk VS reward thing with "the lower your health is, the more damage you deal" concepts. I would really like an answer on this.

Also, if you have time, you can check out my EXTREMELY exotic champion concept:http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2355309
I'm sure you'll like it.
Risk vs. Reward mechanics are very hard to implement and make fun while having good counterplay because they tend to be very binary in nature. If the reward is worth the risk it has potential to be way too powerful. Also it just feels bad that you don't get to be at full power without weakening yourself. Not saying it can't be done (characters like Olaf and Trynd do it very well) it's just harder to get right. Guys like Ryze create problems because we balance our mana items around the fact that they give mana, not damage. Suddenly you have this guy who builds tank and still one-shots your carry.

TLDR harder to balance, but not impossible. Unique play patterns are pretty awesome if done right.

Damiya

Technical Analyst

11-25-2012
57 of 65 Riot Posts

Wait Gypsylord, you're the man behind (endofyearchampion)?

<3

Kitten Katari

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-25-2012

Spill the beans Damiya!

Warrikon

11-25-2012

omg wat!!! gypsys got the end of year champ? TELL TELL! :3

also you play tf2! no way!?

have you ever played prophunt/saxton hale?

FergusMacBolg

11-25-2012

I see you know of Angus. My question is, how hard are you pushing for him to be made, and why aren't you pushing harder!?

Also, does your champion have potential for a Pulsefire skin?

Arctic Bro

11-25-2012

Can you guys see my F.E.K. Avatar?

Mirza Says

11-25-2012

Adc in 2012 possible or 100% no?

Warrikon

11-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirza Says View Post
Adc in 2012 possible or 100% no?
probably ap lol

KyrosTheMystic

11-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotDamiya View Post
Wait Gypsylord, you're the man behind (endofyearchampion)?

<3
The teasing... it's killing us. Dx