Leaver Buster Questions (Not trying to get unbanned)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DiminishedAC

11-24-2012

Ok so I'm a bit confused about how this leaver buster system works. I was recently banned for 1 day for leaving games, as my internet connection has been faulty (I live in a little rinky-dink town without much connection to ANYTHING). Once I got unbanned, everything became stable again for about 4 days or so. I had been playing quite a few games (at least 15) so I thought that my leaver level had gone back down. I played a match on my college campus, and the client froze for about 10 minutes. I tried reconnecting, but got a message that the Leaver Buster system knocked my leaver level up to level 3 and I am banned for 5 or so days.

I thought that your leaver level goes down by playing and finishing games? Or do I have to go weeks straight without any sort of mishap? Could anyone give me a little insight here? I really don't want to go through another ban like that because of a faulty internet connection.

Durious

11-24-2012

I think the timeline is a bit longer than you're anticipating. My guess would be it would be on the order of weeks to months. Just get that internet fixed!

WookieeCookie

Player Support Lead -
Player Behavior

11-24-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiminishedAC View Post
Ok so I'm a bit confused about how this leaver buster system works. I was recently banned for 1 day for leaving games, as my internet connection has been faulty (I live in a little rinky-dink town without much connection to ANYTHING). Once I got unbanned, everything became stable again for about 4 days or so. I had been playing quite a few games (at least 15) so I thought that my leaver level had gone back down. I played a match on my college campus, and the client froze for about 10 minutes. I tried reconnecting, but got a message that the Leaver Buster system knocked my leaver level up to level 3 and I am banned for 5 or so days.

I thought that your leaver level goes down by playing and finishing games? Or do I have to go weeks straight without any sort of mishap? Could anyone give me a little insight here? I really don't want to go through another ban like that because of a faulty internet connection.
Your leaverbuster level will go down as you play without leaving. But unfortunately I can't provide specific time frames as to how much time needs to pass before it decreases. Otherwise less... honorable players would try to game the system as much as possible to their benefit.

One thing to keep in mind though is that it is based off of game time played, and not real time. So if you tried to wait three weeks but only played one or two games, your leaver level would not decrease very much.

Durious

11-24-2012

Thanks for the input WookieCookie. Just upvote this if it's less than 25 games per level, downvote if it's more than 100

GhostStalker

11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieeCookie View Post
Your leaverbuster level will go down as you play without leaving. But unfortunately I can't provide specific time frames as to how much time needs to pass before it decreases. Otherwise less... honorable players would try to game the system as much as possible to their benefit.
If you won't. I will. I'm extremely familiar with leaver buster. I used to get nailed by it a lot, until i understood just how much I could step on the line. There's going to be games where you're getting curbstomped, and you aren't having any fun what-so-ever. You'll attempt to surrender because it's clear you cant win. But 2 people on your team won't do it. And as such, you're forced to "play" (if one can even call it that at this point). Generally if a surrender vote fails, people stop playing to their potential anyways.

Here's what I've been following, and it works great.

1). You can leave a game, every 9-10 games you finish and you will not get a warning of any kind.

Following this the above you will not ever get banned from leaver-buster or get a warning, and nobody ever reports you for leaving games because typically they leave it to the leaver-buster (most of the time).

You'll even start to "heal" your leaverbuster status if you keep following this rule.

2). You can leave games 2x in a row, and may get a warning, if you do, play double the amount of games in rule 1 to stay on even grounds.

The more games you play without leaving, the faster your leaver buster status heals itself. It's silly you have to game the system like this, but games are ment to be played for fun, and if your getting wtfpwned or you got trolls in your game, or anything thats ruining your fun (on a reasonable level) then you should leave. If riot says otherwise, they're simply wrong.

GhostStalker

11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieeCookie View Post
. Otherwise less... honorable players would try to game the system as much as possible to their benefit.
Also, you assume just because I want to leave a game that's clearly not fun (on a reasonable level) that I am a less than honorable player? If anything, I'm more than an honorable player. I know when to bow out graciously, and when my opponent earned victory. I'm not going to sit there and get owned constantly. Or if I'm dealing with some nasty people on my team. It doesn't work like that.

If you are not having fun, you should leave. No one should profit off of another players misery. ESPECIALLY in non-ranked games.

RedDevilCG

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostStalker86 View Post
If you are not having fun, you should leave. No one should profit off of another players misery. ESPECIALLY in non-ranked games.
That's what surrender is for. I'm sure you can endure about 7 minutes of farming till 20min comes up.

GhostStalker

11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevilCG View Post
That's what surrender is for. I'm sure you can endure about 7 minutes of farming till 20min comes up.
I typically don't leave until 20 minutes are up anyways, and if the surrender doesn't go through, I leave. Only rarely do I leave before 20 minutes. I think I've only ever done that twice. It's really rare.

mambawarrior0

11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostStalker86 View Post
If you won't. I will. I'm extremely familiar with leaver buster. I used to get nailed by it a lot, until i understood just how much I could step on the line. There's going to be games where you're getting curbstomped, and you aren't having any fun what-so-ever. You'll attempt to surrender because it's clear you cant win. But 2 people on your team won't do it. And as such, you're forced to "play" (if one can even call it that at this point). Generally if a surrender vote fails, people stop playing to their potential anyways.

Here's what I've been following, and it works great.

1). You can leave a game, every 9-10 games you finish and you will not get a warning of any kind.

Following this the above you will not ever get banned from leaver-buster or get a warning, and nobody ever reports you for leaving games because typically they leave it to the leaver-buster (most of the time).

You'll even start to "heal" your leaverbuster status if you keep following this rule.

2). You can leave games 2x in a row, and may get a warning, if you do, play double the amount of games in rule 1 to stay on even grounds.

The more games you play without leaving, the faster your leaver buster status heals itself. It's silly you have to game the system like this, but games are ment to be played for fun, and if your getting wtfpwned or you got trolls in your game, or anything thats ruining your fun (on a reasonable level) then you should leave. If riot says otherwise, they're simply wrong.
Permaban this guy.

GhostStalker

11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambawarrior0 View Post
Permaban this guy.
Not going to happen. I would bet you money that I'm a much less toxic player than you are. By far.