I am tired of having to dodge and wait 30 minutes!

First Riot Post
12345678 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Switcher

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post
Looking at all the posts on this forum, do you guys think a "group finder" function or "Champion Select Chat in Tribunal" can displace the need of a "vote kick" function?
Is the "group finder" function you're suggesting is something like:

You have the option to queue as: Jungle, mid, top, bot, or no preference; and then you match people based off of those selections.

If so, I feel like that would be a nice solution to the problem.

Yaddar

11-22-2012

I think a good idea to reduce champ select problems would be if everyone in ranked was asked to choose three roles of his preference and those roles be shown in their tab at champ select.. (by a color code, for example)

Solo Laner (could be top or bot)
Mid laner
Duo laner offensive (could be bot or top, includes but it is not limited to ranged ADC)
Duo laner deffensive (could be bot or top, includes but it is not limited to support)
Jungler

note that this doesn't specify roles like ("mid AP carry" or "bot ranged adc") you are still open to change meta and positions, but instead one of the 5 places to be, this way...
1.- you guarantee people thinking at least about 3 roles before entering a game
2.- you decrease the number of people playing raked knowing how to play only one role by encouraging players to think about more roles
3.- promotes team communication at champ select
4.- helps to get rido of the "[X role] or I feed problem" - you've already stated another options.
5.- decreases the calling (vs pick order) thing some people find very annoying while some other peopel missunderstands (as they us it as a mean to "securing a role" instead of "calling a preference").. admit it, the calling method is unclear at best.

Ronnie Law

11-22-2012

Quote:
Looking at all the posts on this forum, do you guys think a "group finder" function or "Champion Select Chat in Tribunal" can displace the need of a "vote kick" function?
I feel that the meta being the way it is, a position select group finder would work wonders.
If you want to play top then you queue top and wait with all the other noobs that dont want to play anything else, and will troll if you dont baby them and let them play what they want.

Lasac

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-22-2012

Quote:
I think it would be worth while to have a group finder system that does still allows for changes in the meta. It could be as simple as selecting a lane when you queue or to a more flexible system that would also try to find a best match to the kind of team you are looking for (i.e. maybe want to try a double roaming comp or 3 bot for fun and to be unconventional). I could see that eliminating some of the frustrations with Champ Select. Champion Select in Tribunal would also help with that.

Even with those measures in place issues could still arise, but I think League would be in a better place.

JJ Unbreakable

11-22-2012

Quote:
People want a group finder. But this could stop the diversity of team compositions, locking everyone into the current "meta".
Doesn't that limit gameplay and reduce the number of strategies (not necessarily available but discoverable)?

And would "Champion Select Chat in Tribunal" result in people being reported for being unconventional, even if they're not intentionally trolling?
Does this mean anyone playing Teemo top will now be punished?

DeafCatMoan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-22-2012

Quote:
I would die for a group finder

Threat Level 0

11-22-2012

I vote yay for "Group Finder" and vote to kick "vote to kick".

Also Normal Mode ARAM matches. Go.

Redenbacher

11-22-2012

Quote:
Have you considered the implications of a vote kick system in champion select, and what kind of potential situation(s) it will create if such system exist?
This is probably a poor plan. At it's core, League of Legends is a team game. By implementing a vote kick, even if 'anonymous', you're breaking up the team before the game even begins. Assuming it's indicated in chat.

What if you 'rewarded' compromise, instead of punishing stonewalling?

Case in point, the OP. Three people want Jungle as their first pick for a role. If they were rewarded with honor, or some such system, for taking a second pick and complementing the team composition, players may be more apt to do the right thing.

Then the question becomes, "How do we identify a compromise of that nature?" Also, of course, "How will this be abused?"

Back to the original assumption of the votekick being indicated in chat [2/3 players voted to kick X], would this be something hidden in the background? If enough players hit a button on a player's portrait to kick, they'll be kicked without any notification of success, and none if it fails either. How will that be abused for 'FotM' champion selection, or champions that may currently be unfavorable in the public eye? I think that will make it very difficult for some players who appreciate 'underdog' champions.

Group Finder sounds like a great idea, but it's a system that may or may not change with the meta of the game. For example, what if two top becomes a thing again? Also, queue times. It would have to be an option that players can elect into, and made clear that substantially longer queue times should be expected while the game assembles a team.

Honestly the best solution, in my opinion, is to add the ability to submit a report at champ select, and add an ignore button to each portrait.

Dead Ransom

11-22-2012

First of all I'd like to wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving! Especially to RiotKiddington, our riot representative that's taking time out of his holiday to discuss these issues with us.

Now, I think that everyone has brought up some great ideas and pointed out strong points about the possibilities of each discussed feature. In my opinion, the vote-to-kick idea sounds great on paper, but honestly it would need some work so that it's not easily taken advantage of. I would imagine that the best place for it to be implemented would be in Ranked, and not Normals.. because frankly, the problem that we're having is in ranked queue.
The whole reason for this is to combat the "trolls" who do not want to be team players, which in turn is creating toxic, bad chemistry and hiking up the chances of that team losing their game. To me and a lot of players.. it's just not worth losing the elo that we worked so hard for. With this feature implemented, and a few creative safeguards in place, the affected team could remove the player who is creating the problem and have a much better experience.

Without the vote-to-kick option, we would need an alternative solution.. the simplest one that comes to mind is the champion selection report that would come after a dodge.. because when you report a player, the tribunal only gets the in-game chat log, and anything said outside of that isn't really going to be seen by anyone. This means that any potential toxic players can get away with harassment, etc, even if they never said a word but GG ingame.

Regarding the Group Finder idea.. it sounds like it has a lot of potential. This is probably one of the most played online games, and it carries an incredible community.. a community which Riot has time and time again expressed its dedication to. We've seen a lot of new features geared towards helping us personalize our accounts, with ribbons and borders and skins (oh my).. and something new like a group finder feature would open up even more doors towards opportunity and customization.. and it's definitely something that the community would embrace.

RiotKiddington

Platform Engineer

11-22-2012
4 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galgus View Post
The downside of that solution would be unjust kicks in champion select.

Close-minded meta sheep might kick anyone filling a role with a slightly unconventional pick, and thus stifle creativity.

There is also the problem of people grouping and gang-kicking or just demanding that someone fill a role or get kicked.

(My personal standard for role filling- If you aren't flexible enough to cover multiple roles for your team, you don't get to demand a role for someone else.)
Just to add a minor point, the tricky part is this: the person that got kicked, do we issue him an penalty (of some sort) or not. If we do, then how do we deal with the case of "unjust kicks", if we do not, then the vote kick feature will get abused into a "game disband" feature...

12345678 ... 12