Switching Platinum and Gold Ranked Icons

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CounterSnipe

11-22-2012

I'm confused why people who are 2k elo have platinum, while people who are below that have gold. Platinum is worth less than gold, so not give our top players gold instead of platinum?

IS1f95fd1cb54f44

11-26-2012

You just went full ******...Go google the worth of platinum vs Gold, that is assuming you know what google is.

RiotKiddington

Platform Engineer

11-26-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSnipe View Post
I'm confused why people who are 2k elo have platinum, while people who are below that have gold. Platinum is worth less than gold, so not give our top players gold instead of platinum?
I guess it is more of a historical thing. Traditionally, Platinum's rarity as a metal, with 0.005 ppm compares to 0.5 ppm of gold has caused people to associate it with exclusivity and wealth. "Platinum awards" are the second highest possible, ranking above "gold", "silver" and "bronze", but below diamond.

It is understandable that price of platinum, like other industrial commodities, is more volatile than that of gold. Currently Gold is about $1750 a troy ounce, and platinum is about $1615 a troy ounce, but who knows what the price will be in a few years? Back in 2008 I remember rhodium was around $10000, if that’s the case back then we should have used “Diamond”, “Rhodium”, “Gold”, “Silver” and “Bronze” just for the fun of it.

Frost Unit

11-26-2012

http://goldnews.bullionvault.com/gol...inum-041120126
And platinum is more "unique" and uncommon, so it is only natural that Riot do it the way it is.

Warrikon

11-26-2012

Blue is pretty yellow is ugleh point made

TheWaveWizard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSnipe View Post
Platinum is far rarer than gold. And it is normally more expensive than gold is. It just happens to have a low price point now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapastic View Post
You just went full ******...Go google the worth of platinum vs Gold, that is assuming you know what google is.
Gold is worth more than platinum right now...a simple Google search would tell you that. Follow your own advice.