@Red Summoner Names

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MCXL

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-21-2012

I for one am glad that there won't be a "Black Friday" sale. I find the growing public fascination with the corporate holiday is quite simply, disgusting.

Looking forward to spending more RP this holiday season, and beyond. Hippalus, you are the best.

PerfectPrototype

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-21-2012

I'd love to see some of the earliest legacys make a return, like Dragon Morde.

Skipper13

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
The announcement of the normal Friday sale is already locked in and ready to go. I'm not going to ask people to work Thanksgiving Day for this, even if it would make Riot a few bucks.

But I understand the excitement around a big sale, so we'll do it in January once the holidays are done and we can plan appropriately for it.
This really makes me sad I was hoping that we would get some of the old skins back. For the January sale can you guys bring back the skins that were retired and make them super cheap so I can pick most of them up

Hippalus

eCommerce Director

11-21-2012
12 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxie View Post
Look I know this is pretty much borderline a personal insult, but how could you have possibly not known about Black Friday? I'm not a Riot employee, and I'm also fairly new (started in May), so I've never been here for a Black Friday but I still knew about it. How could one of the biggest commerce days in the United States "not even cross your radar?" Did you even ask other people that have been at Riot longer about Black Friday? I don't know the first thing about being an eCommerce Director, but I would think that "a possible sale on Black Friday" is pretty standard stuff for companies that sell stuff.

And if you don't want to ask people to work on Thanksgiving, I'll volunteer my services.
I don't mind borderline personal insults, as long as they're tied to constructive comments or questions. The main focus of my job is to bring new ideas to Riot and drive them forward. Things that wouldn't happen otherwise: like gifting, ward skins, new summoner icons, new bundle technology, new types of sales (rune pages, summoner name changes) and more. That is where I spend my time. Week to week champion/skin sales and prices all happen the same way they did before I got here and don't need my involvement 99% of the time. That will likely change over time as I build out the eCommerce department and get more involved in those things, but I get more excited about the new stuff, and I think players will too at the end of the day.

And yeah, I get stuff wrong sometimes. Holiday ward skin rentals made sense to me at the time as a new way to liven up the holidays, but the reaction was more negative than I expected. I probably could have paid more attention to traditional eCommerce events like Black Friday. Most eCommerce companies consider Black Friday an opportunity to take advantage of lots of shoppers looking for deals, and I'm sure if we sold shoes, we would do the same. But, rightly or wrongly, we're way more interested in making the game better and trying new things to see what interests players.

That said, now that I realize players were excited about it and looking forward to it, I'll find a way to make up for it. A January sale event based on player input seems like the best option at this time. Will post more on this Friday.

NaPossible

11-21-2012

I've been looking forward to Black Friday since I started playing this game.

In other news: are there any other methods that you are using to prevent name-hogging/sitting on names?

Sile

11-21-2012

The name I'm seeking is level 6, seven games won, but hasnt been active in 2 years

Would this one be cleared in the upcoming sweep?

Calderweiss

11-21-2012

Why don't you spend thanksgiving actually giving thanks, instead of slapping thanksgiving in the face by going out on a mega spree the next day? Don't call them out, they don't have to do a sale at the same time. They do what they want, kudos to them for not having to be like every other business. You could care less when they have a sale, since they always have one going on. You want a mega sale, but that doesn't mean that they have to do this. You'll still play league, and you will still enjoy the skins you have, so stop being a greedy american like most of the rest of us.

Edgeworth

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel Sile View Post
The name I'm seeking is level 6, seven games won, but hasnt been active in 2 years

Would this one be cleared in the upcoming sweep?
same position as this guy, but mine has no normal wins, should up the cap to 10 imo, youre the deleting everyone who hasn't played for a year anyway

MandyMemory

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
A January sale event based on player input seems like the best option at this time. Will post more on this Friday.
I'd honestly rather you just come up with something. The players always vote on the same things that were just on sale a month before.

That said, if it wasn't on skins or champions, that would be pretty cool too. (Runes, pages, rp, ward skins if they're out, etc)

NaPossible

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderweiss View Post
Why don't you spend thanksgiving actually giving thanks, instead of slapping thanksgiving in the face by going out on a mega spree the next day? Don't call them out, they don't have to do a sale at the same time. They do what they want, kudos to them for not having to be like every other business. You could care less when they have a sale, since they always have one going on. You want a mega sale, but that doesn't mean that they have to do this. You'll still play league, and you will still enjoy the skins you have, so stop being a greedy american like most of the rest of us.
This isn't about national greediness, it's about an annual holiday that League celebrates.