What do you think?

We need more badass females 637 28.88%
We need more crude, unrefined, gritty females 313 14.19%
All above. 858 38.89%
NO. 398 18.04%
Voters: 2206. You may not vote on this poll

@IronStylus/Morello: [Subject] The type of female champions we're missing.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bad Luck Braum

11-19-2012

Vayne /thread

facetious

11-19-2012

Draaaaaaven.

G1aD0S

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan2swan View Post
I disagree. I think that despite the heroic aspects that the ladies of the League initially display, there's usually an underlying level of "mwahaha" (as I call it). Just check Leona's taunt. And her joke. She's got this sweet, motherly, friend-to-all-the-world's-creatures outward appearance, but she's also got this streak of "Bring it on, punks."

Also: Fiora. "Submit. You have already lost." "I like you. I hate to kill you." "I long for a worthy opponent." Disdainful, haughty, but composed...granted, she doesn't have scars, but that actually makes her a little more impressive and lends itself to her character. How she would react in a story, though, if she DID get a scar, would be a rather interesting story. She strikes me as the type who would hate to have a sign that she had failed in any way.

Katarina's got you covered in the scar department, though.

Yes, they're elegant and graceful, but that doesn't detract from what you're looking for. Check Syndra, too--SO MUCH UNTAPPED POWER. Sivir will strike you down. Sejuani has no pretense of grace or style, either; she wears rags, has a broken horn, rides a giant tusked monster, and has her hair cropped short as she wields a giant mace and chain. There is absolutely nothing delicate about her (though, yes, she could use a bit more bulk and clothing).

And they HAVE promised a barbarian woman. She's coming. Be patient.

Shyvana also has none of the traits you described. High society? She's a blue-skinned freak who is mistrusted and feared by many. Heroic? She's Demacian, yes, but she always goes on about rage and terror. Refined? No. Elegant? Well, yes...but in a draconian fashion. She doesn't strut along, she races with her claws outstretched in armor that is torn and piecemeal. She has that monstrous grace, too...but you won't see her in any ballroom. And as for being honorable, well, her preview said that justice is sometimes savage, and she outright mocks her opponents--"Think you're a dragonslayer? COME HERE AND TRY." She sees everyone else as inferior to her in terms of strength--they are nothing before her. Honor is nowhere near the top of her list.

So, Shyvana and Sejuani both defy your list. You asked for three, though. Diana could be the third; it could be argued that she seeks respect, but she really is just a cold killing machine. I don't think she cares about respect anymore, really...it will never be enough. Miss Fortune isn't that recent I suppose...but what about Katarina? She was just remade. So she counts. Katarina, Sejuani, Shyvana.

BAM. I solved your puzzle. NEXT CHALLENGE.

dude, half of the champions you named are over a year old.

Sejuani, Katarina, Sivir, etc.

When i say recent, i meant ones within the past year.

The early champions dont really count because Riot had MUCH to explore at the start of the game rather than they do now in terms of types of females that they can bring in.

You have to admit, take 5 random newer (within a year) female champions and compare how different they feel from each other.

Now take 5 older female champions and compare how much more different that is.

Rhaban

11-19-2012

Asking for badass females and then listing anime/manga female depictions in the same post? My irony detector just exploded. All those sexed up dolls is not what I call badass. The very opposite actually. I don't care about their character for this discussion because it's not important or displayed prominently in LoL anyway. So I'd rather have something like this:

Lady Brienne
Sheablo
Barbarian

chumbler

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaban View Post
Asking for badass females and then listing anime/manga female depictions in the same post? My irony detector just exploded. All those sexed up dolls is not what I call badass. The very opposite actually. I don't care about their character for this discussion because it's not important or displayed prominently in LoL anyway. So I'd rather have something like this:

Lady Brienne
Sheablo
I'm not familiar with the first character, but wouldn't have a problem with her at all. Sheablo is cool design-wise, but kind of runs into the problem of "girl-in-monster-suit" that Riot has. Though nowhere near as bad as Riot does it, since she has a ton of other stuff going on besides that, and her face isn't just a human face. Still ridiculously proportioned, though.

I think it says something about the community at least, and possibly also Riot, that characters as uncontroversial and generally well-received as The Boss and Lightning or Fang are apparently considered too ugly or uninteresting to put in the game. A character like The Boss probably gets passed over for being too old or something stupid like that, and is ignored as a possibility by the people who think there is no middle ground between sexy lady designs and fat hambeast designs.

Rhaban

11-19-2012

For example. It would have been awesome if Jayce would have been a female. Just add a female head and done.

Morello

Lead Designer

11-19-2012
1 of 14 Riot Posts

Could not agree more here - big hole in this archetype, and one of my favorites. Makes me think of Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica.

You will be very pleased with our final release of the year

FrozenXylaphone

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

Need a muscled up woman with dirt all over her. Make it gritty like new Tomb Raider.

chumbler

11-19-2012

^^^^ I'm not sure spending money on this game really impresses women. Sorry, Riot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaban View Post
For example. It would have been awesome if Jayce would have been a female. Just add a female head and done.
It would have been more awesome if they had made Kha'Zix female. They wouldn't have to change a single thing about the champion except the pronouns used, but it would show a commitment to improvements on this front.

Heil Teemo

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Could not agree more here - big hole in this archetype, and one of my favorites. Makes me think of Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica.

You will be very pleased with our final release of the year
She's going to spit and scratch her butt, isn't she?