@Ironstylus: has anyone ever rejected your concept art ideas and told you to redo em?

First Riot Post
123456 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BlargCow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

probably happens all the time. refining a concept takes a while i'd imagine

Joseph Dom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

I wonder if he gets drunk and designs a champion concept and then presents it as an option to make another concept look better.

Lime Serenity

11-18-2012

Your question is good. Your conviction, strong. You are the questioner that GD deserves.

Panwar

11-18-2012

There is no way Ironstylus could answer this question in any way other than "yes" or "no". Because this is how it would go.

Ironstylus: Yah I concepted this one cr4p-champion that was like so, but it was turned down for obvious reasons.
Community: OMG! Roit Pls! CR4P-CHAMPIOn WHERE!

Drozzi

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panwar View Post
There is no way Ironstylus could answer this question in any way other than "yes" or "no". Because this is how it would go.

Ironstylus: Yah I concepted this one cr4p-champion that was like so, but it was turned down for obvious reasons.
Community: OMG! Roit Pls! CR4P-CHAMPIOn WHERE!
Not necessarily, could be a concept for a champion that has already been released.

&bump

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

11-18-2012
1 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drozzi View Post
Just curious if there's ever been a champion concept that you've really liked but had it turned down and told to redo it.

Followup question: If yes does the remade concept end up looking drastically different than the original one or does it usually end up with just few tweaks but essentially the same?

Followup to followup question: Happen with any champs in the current roster? If so who?
All the time. The number of champions I've designed that aren't in the game that I have concepts sitting around for outnumber those that did make it into the game. Not to mention all the concept work and iteration that lead up to the final design which may diverge heavily from the original sketched. Graves for example started by looking a lot like Gene from Outlaw Star actually. I know, odd angle to come at it from, but hey, that's where it started.

I've shown in cases like Diana that the concept can diverge pretty heavilly, like this:

http://ironstylus.blogspot.com/2012/...oon-rises.html

In the case of Diana, she very much started as just sort of lame chick-with-big-sword, not much else. It wasn't until I shopped the idea around a lot, and got a lot of feedback, from Morello especially, that I figured out a decent hook for her. I also took cues from a lot of different influences such as the anime Claymore to find an unconventional archetype to latch onto.

Many times concepts start out differently and end up completely tangential. An upcoming champion I worked on was initially ideated to be melee, but halfway through the process we decided to make the character ranged. That and a whole other host of variables can change the outcome of a concept.

Sometimes those variables end up in making the concept not viable. Varrus was a good case of this. I started working on him way back in the day when we had this idea for a "Demonic Hunter" of sorts. We ended up scrapping the idea for the demonic thing and went with "corrupted". I actually stopped working on it at that point and another artist picked it up. He ended up taking it in a different direction which I think worked.

I doubt I'll ever get to show all the stuff I've done that hasn't made it into the game, champions and skins alike, because who knows, they might end up getting used in some way later on.

It can be a bummer when something gets scrapped (see Omen) but usually it's for a good reason. (see Omen) I of course want things that I work on make it into the game, but when something isn't working for one reason or another it's often beyond my control.

But that's the nature of development. Luckily I think that what I've done for characters that did make it in ended up being of good quality because of how much thought multiple people put into it during each character's creation. Sometimes it's a one shot one kill, other times it's a lot of iteration and change. I've definitely seen both sides of it, as pretty much everyone at Riot has =)

Asazen

11-18-2012

What kind of person turns down original parrot work....hmm....HMMM? ): ^(:

PrinceOberyn Fan

11-18-2012

Can u make the sun diana a skin i woukd insta buy O_O

WelcomeToTarget

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
All the time. The number of champions I've designed that aren't in the game that I have concepts sitting around for outnumber those that did make it into the game. Not to mention all the concept work and iteration that lead up to the final design which may diverge heavily from the original sketched. Graves for example started by looking a lot like Gene from Outlaw Star actually. I know, odd angle to come at it from, but hey, that's where it started.

I've shown in cases like Diana that the concept can diverge pretty heavilly, like this:

http://ironstylus.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-sun-sets-diana-scorn-of-moon-rises.html

In the case of Diana, she very much started as just sort of lame chick-with-big-sword, not much else. It wasn't until I shopped the idea around a lot, and got a lot of feedback, from Morello especially, that I figured out a decent hook for her. I also took cues from a lot of different influences such as the anime Claymore to find an unconventional archetype to latch onto.

Many times concepts start out differently and end up completely tangential. An upcoming champion I worked on was initially ideated to be melee, but halfway through the process we decided to make the character ranged. That and a whole other host of variables can change the outcome of a concept.

Sometimes those variables end up in making the concept not viable. Varrus was a good case of this. I started working on him way back in the day when we had this idea for a "Demonic Hunter" of sorts. We ended up scrapping the idea for the demonic thing and went with "corrupted". I actually stopped working on it at that point and another artist picked it up. He ended up taking it in a different direction which I think worked.

I doubt I'll ever get to show all the stuff I've done that hasn't made it into the game, champions and skins alike, because who knows, they might end up getting used in some way later on.

It can be a bummer when something gets scrapped (see Omen) but usually it's for a good reason. (see Omen) I of course want things that I work on make it into the game, but when something isn't working for one reason or another it's often beyond my control.

But that's the nature of development. Luckily I think that what I've done for characters that did make it in ended up being of good quality because of how much thought multiple people put into it during each character's creation. Sometimes it's a one shot one kill, other times it's a lot of iteration and change. I've definitely seen both sides of it, as pretty much everyone at Riot has =)
Original art on Diana is 10x better

blitz4

11-18-2012

IronStylus...That's actually really freakin' good for concept art. How can [whomever accepts concept art] when they want something...else?

That's sorta confusing so let me rephrase that....How do they know what they're looking for because that actually seems really good/ready to animate to me.

123456 ... 11