I'm RiotGypsy. AMAA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

oddish33

Senior Member

11-09-2012

Is the new support champion a mermaid? Just based of one question you answered you said that water theme has a lot of flexibility and concepts and since morello said she can't wear shoes, I'm thinking mermaid! On a side note, are you designing any other champ besides your female one? How much progress has you main champ had now that its been at least 3 months?

Bonus Question: Thoughts on Soraka?

Edit: OMG I predicted Nami would be a mermaid


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fallenour

Senior Member

11-09-2012

why does riot not apply the test realm as an actual area for testing prior to release? It keeps spawning UP champions.

They should also use it before NERFING champions, and making them unplayable. why isnt this done?

2nd question:

Why does riot leave champions in a state that makes them completely unplayable for extended periods of time? (rammus, heimer, karma, etc)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

gypsylord

Champion Designer

11-17-2012
43 of 65 Riot Posts

48 and 49:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerKing View Post
Are you going to design teemo's relatives?
Someday I hope to have a yordle in the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhavir View Post
I was wondering if in the near future an Indian based champion would be made as in from india not American Indian. I ask this because many of the champions that are human are white and few are asian, and karma is black? I just think it would be cool if an indian based champion could be made. Cheers
It's possible, but we wouldn't go out of our way to do it. If we happen to make a concept that's awesome and theme happens to be Indian then yeah, that champ will be made and put into the game. Gotta find something that works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokefenn View Post
gypsylord, i have had this idea for a champ for awhile (before syndra, she is very simmiler) what do you think about it? im just wondering (i know there is prob grammar mistakes :c)

Ability's

Passive:

Every time she kill's a minion, %5 chance that she will take controll of the minion using her necromancer ability's
These minions have extra health than basic minions, but less attack and are a bright rainbow colour


Q:
This attack is a skillshot, it will fire 1 of her minions at the enemy, dealing damage and stunning the enemy


W:
She burns up all minions she has, healing mana and health for each one burn'd up
(Because of the fairly large amount of mana it costs for her abilility's, this is needed)


E:Fabrication
She takes damage, and summons a minion under her controll
(This works simmiler to mundo's attacks, costing health to summon a minion)


R:
All minions under her control will attack the target, dealing more damage than normal and have more armour
(This attack has a large cooldown and costs alot of mana, meaning you must use your W to get the mana needed)


Also, the mana/%/dmg things are random really, just ingore them :d
My biggest problem is the passive. You have this kit that works around your passive and does cool things with it, but then you only have a 5% chance to ever get these minions. This is going to create a binary situation where you either have minions and feel AMAZING or don't have minions and feel awful. Compare this to Syndra. She interacts with balls and always has a RELIABLE way to create them (her Q). Would look into making your necro friends easier and to obtain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOODFOOD View Post
What are your thoughts on Jayce's kit? As a Dominion player, it seems like it's very toxic to give so much utility and damage to one champion, and that "love tap" nerf really didn't change anything there. However, in Summoner's Rift, he still seems quite strong, yet no longer OP. Do you think it was a design fail, or something that can be tweaked?
I personally find Jayce to be problematic. We gave him EVERYTHING. Range, melee, speed, knock backs, nukes, poke, brawling potential. The only thing this guy CAN'T do is sustain. I really wish he had some more clear weaknesses. On the flip side, Jayce players tell me he feels VERY rewarding to play, and not just because he's OP. Jayce has some very cool combos that feel great to execute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarz View Post
Saying Zyra is a support because Azubu Blaze play her bottom is like saying Lee Sin is an AP Carry because Froggen plays him mid.
I wouldn't call Talon an AP mid. He is however a solid midlaner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brôccôli View Post
As a recently added employee to the Riot Gaming staff, with no experience in game development or computer science (At least by what you've said in your short mini-bio) what would you say were some of your best qualities / accomplishments that helped you get hired there?.
Degree from a top college, internships at a top hedgefund, friendly demeanor, burning intellect, hunger to achieve, passion for games, knowledge of game mechanics and systems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hito Ryo Don View Post
How's the champion going? Run into any nasty bugs?

Also is she a support!? <3
SO MANY BUGS. She's good though. People like her, she's fun to play, and her feel/flow seem pretty solid.

Not a support. Classick made Nami.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostStalker86 View Post
Why are champions like Syndra and Elise not buffed hard enough? It's like you guys barely adjust them thinking the smallest number tweak is going to have any impact, when it's not even close to what they need.

These champions need more adjusting before you start working on other champions.
I'm not on live so take this with a grain of salt.

I think Syndra and Elise suffer from problems other than "just being bad." They're both rather complex and hard to play champs so for starters you can't just pick them up and do well. In both cases you don't even have an easy to execute "basic combo." If you play Orianna you can always "put ball on man, press W," whereas Syndra requires you to, "Put ball on man, pick up ball, throw ball at man after a short delay." Much harder to execute. The end result of this is that a player new to Syndra will play her, do poorly during his first game, and then never want to play her again because, "she's so weak I couldn't do anything."

It could very well be that Syndra and Elise are actually "balanced" in the hands of those who are intimately familiar with them. I'm pretty sure that Elise is broken as hell top lane BTW. There is not a bruiser in the game who can fight her 1v1 early. Spam Q at range, if they ever close with you go spider and use your ms+as buff to kill them with spiderlings. Jax dodging you? SPIDER TO THE CEILING then proceed with killing him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieros View Post
Do you play Teemo as AP, on hit, or AD Bruiser.

Did you ever play FE : The Sacred Stones for the gameboy?
Depends on the matchup. Usually go AP, sometimes Ad bruiser.

Played sacred stones. It was okay. Didn't like the grinding monster battles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy Beatz View Post
How many champions would you say are "in the works?" As in, if for some reason all champion designers were unable to start new champions, how many months of new releases would we still have?
I think around 4-7. Depends on the number of concepts that have been approved and the number of designers available to make them. I'm currently working on three new prototypes. Wish I could tell you more (Don't worry *name not to be revealed* is still my main squeeze. She's gonna be sick)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkJugg24 View Post
How much do you like Teemo?
I'd measure my like for Teemo to be about equal to 30,000 Teemo units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy Beatz View Post
Dartmouth eh? Please tell me you didn't eat the vomlet.
Heh. That article was a tad overblown. I was in an alternative Co-ed Theater/Gaming frat. We didn't do stuff like that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pandora531

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Can i add you? i have a idea for champion


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hakarl

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
Lasagna. I was a big Garfield fan when I was little.
You are now my favorite red. I was a huge Garfield fan as well and have always loved lasagna ever since.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CNJafet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Bump for justice.
Another great Rioter, if you ask me.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

gypsylord

Champion Designer

11-17-2012
44 of 65 Riot Posts

50 and 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEsoteric View Post
Hey Gypsy!

Are lore-related champs still popular at Riot? For example, I know fans would love to get Kassadin's daughter, Irelia's brother, and Kog'maw's dad. Can you say if a champion that we've already heard about going to be released "soon"(months)?
If we find a champ concept that's awesome and just so happens to be Kassadin's daughter then we'll release her. We're not going to force it.

That said, we like lore and are trying to make new champs feel awesome and have a place within Runeterra. Our IP isn't just a battlefield, it's a living and breathing world with real people having real interactions. Rivalries and relationships like Graves/TF, Leona/Diana and Garen/Lux aren't required for gameplay, but really do help some players get into their characters. Ever pull off a Lux+Garen ult execute? Feels good man. DEMACIA!

It just so happens that the champ I'm working on has strong ties with one of our current champions (she's new, you've never heard of her). Her lore is going to reflect that as well as some fun interactions she has in game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempestphile View Post
How did Darius get through testing and made it into LIVE game?

The mechanics is so boring, and he is so easy to play i bet my cat can do it

And he is somewhat overpowered because of his mixed damage type

What do you think?
Darius isn't OP, he just has perception problems. He's actually run a straight 50% win rate since release. Yes, he's going to kill you. A lot. But everytime he takes a kill that means his ADC or Burst mage didn't get one. He may seem like he's doing all the damage in fights because he gets the killls, but most of the time it's actually the ADC or mage with the higher DPS. Late game he can't carry, he just gets kited to death and stuff like shields, QSS and GA DESTROYS him.

Also, he's actually really really fun to play. Like insanely fun. Feels so good to axe people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile4eva View Post
Black socks or blue socks?

I literally cannot decide.
Wear one of each.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nc0nc13vabl3 View Post
how would you feel about this champion idea? http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...25713&page=224
THE SENTIENT BARN
WE NEED THIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuìce View Post
Will Riot ever release support champions faster than 2 a year?
2 supports a year is a BASELINE. That means at a minimum we will MAKE SURE to have 2 supports every year so our support players aren't left out in the cold. That doesn't mean we won't make more if we have great ideas for support champs.

Gotta say, as a support main I am VERY HAPPY with what's coming up over the next few months. SEASON 3 ITEMS OMGWTFADSFDASFADS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Wise View Post
When will there be a champion with a friendly grip? I played WoW professionally and I feel arena got twice as fun to spectate once that was a possibility(RMP vs RMP specifically.) It would be a lot of fun to watch a champion that had a friendly grip and it would open up so many possibilities. I also wish there was a wizard champion with a cool wizard hat.
Do you mean something like Tiny toss? EG, a moveblock you can use on allies? If so I'd say they're risky but not out of the picture. The key is to make and ally targeted moveblock that they can choose not to accept. Then you don't run into the trolling problems where Tiny throws Sniper into the enemy team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabob321 View Post
Hi could you come up with some kits for a boxer champ because there is a pretty popular thread about it and who wouldnt want something like that in lol
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2126257
So a champ that's about punching people. Pretty cool IMO.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheEnygma

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
50 and 51

It just so happens that the champ I'm working on has very strong ties with one of our current champions. Her lore is going to reflect that as well as some fun interactions she has in game.

.
wouldn't happen to be Lissandra would it? Because moreso than Kass daughter, I want this one


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gixia

Senior Member

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
That said, we like lore and are trying to make new champs feel awesome and have a place within Runeterra. Our IP isn't just a battlefield, it's a living and breathing world with real people having real interactions. Rivalries and relationships like Graves/TF, Leona/Diana and Garen/Lux aren't required for gameplay, but really do help some players get into their characters. Ever pull off a Lux+Garen ult execute? Feels good man. DEMACIA!
While I realize you're probably not the one to raise this issue with, I still feel compelled every time it's brought up. While it's great to have champions with relationships and interactions off the battlefield, that give you room to expand the story in other directions, I still think that it's equally as important, if not moreso, that they still maintain a cohesive reason to be ON the battlefield as well, since, as players, this is where we're going to have our interaction with them. And many champions and their relationships lately give them absolutely no reason to actually be in game. Kha'Zix/Rengar, Warwick/Soraka, Elise, etc. They have relationships and goals which are only obtainable off the battlefield, and thus, from a story perspective, they have no reason to be present in-game. This results in making the story weaker, not stronger, because now you suddenly have conflicts between what we're being told, and what we're experiencing ourselves, and the lore starts to unravel as this conflict causes it to, well... Make no sense.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sylvans

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-17-2012

I've been working on champion ideas for a while, and I would really like to get into champion design or game design, but my degree is going to be in biology, which isn't very helpful for getting into this field. Any tips on how to get into the business?

Also, could you look at my champion ideas?

This is my current favorite:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ghlight=psylus

And all of them are over here:
http://forum.leaguecraft.com/index.p...vans-big-book/