Ummm... What?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TouchMikeHawk

11-24-2009

May I inquire why lol.launcher.exe would want access to every single one of my running processes, especially things it has nothing to do with like Winlogon.exe and Steam.exe and etc.?

Jesse Perring

NOC Technician

11-24-2009
1 of 1 Riot Posts

There could be a variety of reasons, here two possibilities:
-The launcher requires admin access and uses winlogon to verify/accomplish that
-The launcher runs a program called maestro that is used to facilitate communication between the game and your operating system.
Maestro information

TouchMikeHawk

11-24-2009

I was tempted to give it access, but then I noticed it started asking for access for things that are completely unrelated. PnkbsterA.exe? Valve's Steam platform? That just makes no sense to me even if it has to backdoor it through my processes to supposedly facilitate communication between my game and OS.

Raike

11-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMikeHawk View Post
I was tempted to give it access, but then I noticed it started asking for access for things that are completely unrelated. PnkbsterA.exe? Valve's Steam platform? That just makes no sense to me even if it has to backdoor it through my processes to supposedly facilitate communication between my game and OS.
I get the feeling this might just be a bit of miscommunication with Windows. Otherwise I would look into doing a quick malware scan (www.lavasoft.com). The launcher shouldn't be asking for any connection to steam. I would also recommend a reboot.

reapermaster

11-24-2009

typically when stuff like this happens its scanning your computer, similar to punkbuster, VAC, and the blizzard warden, to ensure that there is nothing that could be considered a hack or other application that writing directly to the memory the application is using.