TT2: The New(ish) Meta [Guide/Discussion]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Undertaker c2

11-15-2012

Disclaimer: I'm not a high elo tt player. My ranked team [IRUV] in season 2 managed to make bronze before the end of season, but that's it. I just have a love for this game, theorycraft, and 3's.

Anyway...
With the advent of the new twisted treeline has come an opportunity to be forging new meta for a significantly more balanced map. Through lots of experimentation in normals and in ranked ranked I've learned a few things about team comp, summoner spells, bans, and synergy, and I want to start a discussion about what other open minded players are trying, too!

CONTENTS
0) [ELOG] List of Edits
1) [TCOM] Team Composition
2) [MAPC] The Importance of Map Control, or "No Wards? No Problem!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ELOG]
11/15/11 Posted
11/15/11 Big rework, rewording, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TCOM] Team Composition

As we all know, three bruisers still works all too well in TT2. Mixing AD with "AP bruisers" like Amumu, Diana, and Morgana can be equally (or more) effective! In my experience, though, that's not totally necessary anymore, nor can it be all that practical outside of pubstomping. The game is significantly more fast paced, gank oriented, and ace-dependant, and with the increased focus in these parts of the gameplay it can sometimes be difficult for bruisers to get the amount of farm and feed they need to become properly invincible (I'm not saying this doesn't happen at all, it happens all the time!). With only three characters to a team, it means your team composition can be a variety of things, but this is your checklist of traits to have for maximum effectiveness. These should be considered when solo queuing and especially when doing ranked. They by no means all have to be met, after all part of the fun of League is in coming up with your own playstyle and teams.

Solid Team Composition Checklist

• Do you have burst damage?
  • Do you have sustained damage?
  • Do you have a mix of damage (2 AD, 1 AP, or vise versa)?
  • Do you have hard cc?
  • Do you have a tank (this is variable, explained below)?
  • Do you have map control?
I'm sure this seems like common sense, to more experienced players at least, but I'll use my ranked team's signature set as an example for those of us who need to picture it in action:

Quote:
My team rolls Sivir, Maokai, and Riven. In this setup we have lots of hard cc on Maokai, as well as sapling utility. Sivir provides high sustained damage, Riven also has sustained damage while Maokai is more bursty AP. After the game gets going, the enemy team decides to spend more of their energy on focusing Riven and countering her and Sivir with a lot of armor, so Riven decides early on to build tanky. This frees up Maokai to, in addition to being the CC monster, build full AP and faceroll the team who overlooks him. In teamfights, Maokai initiates and lays down his R to make Sivir, Riven, and Himself 20% more tanky. The enemy focus Riven, being the decided threat, and being closer to the brawl than the ranged Sivir. Sivir and Maokai attack the squishiest person while Riven works to peel, then move on to the tankier dps. Sivir's spell shield helps to protect her from stray skillshots, and when the enemy tries to escape Mao pops his R damage for the double kill.
Makes almost too much sense, right? This is super-idealized, of course, but more often than not this is how TT games end up working. We'll discuss the itemizing and whatnot farther along in this guide, as it was an important part of said scenario.

This is only one example. With over 100 unique champions in the game there are nearly limitless possibilities for team makeups. If you reference the "Composition Checklist" and adhere to it, though, you will have much better odds of survival on nearly any team.

Now before some one loses their mind at me because I'm not bumping tanky dps, here's the lo-down on that:
Tanky DPS is the original meta for the original Twisted Treeline. You have a Tanky AD, a Tanky AP, and a Tanky Jungler, and everyone is tanky and everyone gets ganked and the game goes on forever because all the ganks on the tanks never kill everyone, et cetera, we've all played old TT. Tanky DPS is still more than viable on TT2. It takes more work and more kills in more skilled games, but it totally works and is TONS of FUN. I'll be the first person to tell you that Darius/Singed/LeeSin is awesome and everyone should try it. That's not the point of the guide, though. We know it works. That team, for instance, does follow the checklist. Go ahead, double check me. :p

More coming soon...

[MAPC] The Importance of Map Control, or "No Wards? No Problem!"

What we're about to discuss is a strategy that wins games. It's called "warding."
"But c2, there are no wards in TT2, wtf are you talking about?"
"It's simple," I reply "You use everything but wards to achieve map control!"

Map Control, for those who aren't familiar with the phrase (especially if it's just something colloquial my friends and I say, who knows?), refers to your teams ability to view the map and walk with confidence knowing you're safe. There's a pretty sizable difference in gumption between pushing the bot turret without knowing from where in the jungle the other team will emerge and actually knowing where they're coming from. You can plan your escape, or square up for the counter-gank, or even do something completely stupid like B.

Again I'm completely aware that there are no wards, as I'm sure anyone else who lurks the TT board here is. LOTS of complaining about how gimpy the game must be because of the lack of wards. I offer three solutions to this issue, and you should take notes. This isn't complicated stuff, but it will save your life.

1) Every single character (okay, maybe not every character) should be building Hextech Sweeper or Grez's Spectral Lantern. These are strong, affordable utility items that make you harder to kill. "Utility Item"? It means that (kinda) like Wriggle's Lantern on Summoner's Rift, they have unique actives that give you 10 seconds of vision. Not only vision, but TRUE vision, which lets you see stealthed objects. At 1920G and 1150G respectively, they provide you with needed damage stats for any jungle/carry, a ward every 60 seconds, and a little bit of tankiness. They're some of the best value items in all of League of Legends and you should absolutely have one of each on your team per game. No exceptions, warding wins games.

2) "Map control utility moves." What's that? Any champion skill that gives you vision for any amount of time. I already mentioned in brief that Maokai's saplings have utility. You can throw them over walls and they'll ward anything with non-true vision for up to 30 seconds. Caitlyn's traps, Nidalee's traps, and Teemo's Mushrooms are a few notable choices in addition to things like Diana's Moonlight (her Q acts like the Dominion item "The Lightbringer"). If you need a pinch ward and your HTS or GSL are on cool down, you'll be thankful you have one of them on your team.

3) The summoner spell Clairvoyance. Clairvoyance is OP on TT2, in my most humble of opinions.

BEFORE YOU GET ALL MAD ABOUT SUGGESTING THAT SOME ONE EVER RUN SOMETHING OTHER THAN IGNITE/FLASH HEAR ME OUT.

Clairvoyance, like utility moves and items, eliminates the need to facecheck bushes, gives you vision of almost an entire half of the jungle, and with 21 points in utility, it's off cooldown way too often to ignore. This being said, it's not for every team, because honestly two ignites and an exhaust are better for teamfighting. Instances where you'd want to run Clairvoyance would be:
  • If you run a team with more than one exceptionally squishy person and REALLY need the gank protection
  • If you're really, really, REALLY want to facecheck bushes and are absolutely against buying HTS or GSL
  • If you want to establish early map control without having to budget for HTS or GSL
  • If you lack a dedicated jungler who is running Smite. As a rule of thumb, Smite is already a sacrifice of a slot and having Smite and Clairvoyance on one team means you're missing out on two summoner spells overall.
  • If, and ONLY if, you have a character on your team that can run 21 in Utility without sacrificing much damage or defense (Examples like Nunu, Yorick, and Maokai come to mind)

The last bullet is most important. The Cooldown is just too long without 21 points in Utility to sacrifice a Summoner Spell for it. Clairvoyance can absolutely be game-breaking (as game-breaking as "being helpful" can get) on the right team and in the right hands, but you really have to meet the right conditions and use teamwork to use it to its potential.

In short, map control is ESSENTIAL to your success on this map. If you can see more of your map than the enemy, it puts you at a distinct advantage. That's fairly basic wartime strategy. Go out and give this a crack, if you apply nothing else from this guide, I guarantee this will help your game improve.

11/15/12
7:36 EST
Whew! I cleaned up this whole original post, off to discuss and answer specific questions in the thread! Expect more soon!

In the meantime, comments? Other fun stuff? What works for you? I'd love to hear what's working for other summoners in TT2!

c2

Gutter Runner

11-15-2012

Nice man! Thank you for this post. Waitin for more. I must agree with Maokai and visions. He is strong pick cause of saplings, for sure, I played him few times and he is just awesome. My best team comp for now is Maokai, Sejuani and Olaf. What do you think about that?

And I will definitely try Clairvoyance!

Regards

11-15-2012

Quote:
every single character should be building hextech sweeper or grez's spectral lantern. These are strong utility items that make you harder to kill and give you vision. No excuses. Wards win games on the Rift, same story in TT. If you're pushing a lane, you can ward every jungle exit for maximum control of the situation.
THANK YOU! I've been saying this for a while, but you can't underestimate how good these items are, and their actives are. I don't think ever champ needs one, but AT LEAST one does. I think this cancels out your Clairavoyance need though. I'd much rather be able to exhuast two champs and focus one down in a team fight.

AForgotten Angel

11-15-2012

My Question is with the New Items like the Hurricane and the changes to Tiamat and so on how is the Meta for 3v3 going to change? Might these coming item changes totally rewrite the book on how 3v3s are done and make Bruisers less likely to be the dominating force they are?

HayabusaZero

11-15-2012

With this, i agree. Those 3 points are exactly what people need to understand to get better in this map.

Also, i have always like to go with a balanced team on 3v3, with at least 1 full AD, 1 full AP and 1 Tank (obviously you can have combinations of this in one character).

And the other thing is that potions are op as hell in this map, so there are affordable comeback mechanics that people forget to use when they are behind.

Great post, OP. Hope more people reads it and give their opinion about it.

Undertaker c2

11-15-2012

I'm pleased to see all of this feedback! I'm running a Pizza Hut atm but I'll be on after five to clean up the op and weigh in on every one's responses from my desktop at home. I do intend to include sections on banning, items, altars/spider, more team comp, and summoners this evening. Like I said in the op, huge posts on a phone keyboard are tiresome lol.

Thanks for the couple of upvotes too <3

c2

Goggris

11-15-2012

I really cannot stress how bad of an idea it is to get clairvoyance. There are extremely cheap items that basically give you that utility on a minute cooldown (except better, since it reveals invisible), for both AP and AD. Yet what item can provide the same power as exhaust, ignite, or an extra escape?

The map simply is NOT big enough to have any questions about where the enemy team is. They aren't in lanes? They are either at vilemaw or jungle. Period. Get the vision items to avoid facechecks and you're set.

Undertaker c2

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggris View Post
I really cannot stress how bad of an idea it is to get clairvoyance. There are extremely cheap items that basically give you that utility on a minute cooldown (except better, since it reveals invisible), for both AP and AD. Yet what item can provide the same power as exhaust, ignite, or an extra escape?

The map simply is NOT big enough to have any questions about where the enemy team is. They aren't in lanes? They are either at vilemaw or jungle. Period. Get the vision items to avoid facechecks and you're set.
+1'd

You definitely make a valid point. My point was that clair, in my experience, can be a very strong summoner in tt2. I do agree though that hts and gsl are better because of their low cooldown and affordability.

That being said, I feel a summoner spell like clairvoyance does deserve mention on this map because it is very useful in it's own right. Summoners are, at times, a matter of preference, and people should know that clair isn't necessarily a bad preference.

Micre

11-15-2012

I am glad you have posted this as a couple of my friends and I are looking to jump into the 3v3 scene. We will definitely be trying out the advice you post, and posting what we find as well.

Undertaker c2

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Runner
My best team comp for now is Maokai, Sejuani and Olaf. What do you think about that?
Maokai and Olaf are super-strong in 3's! I can't personally speak for Sejuani outside of SR, but if it works then you're doing something right! Who jungles/lanes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AForgotten Angel
My Question is with the New Items like the Hurricane and the changes to Tiamat and so on how is the Meta for 3v3 going to change? Might these coming item changes totally rewrite the book on how 3v3s are done and make Bruisers less likely to be the dominating force they are?
I'm sure part of this whole new map and the new items and everything is Riot trying to grab the meta by the face and shake the **** out of it until it changes. As for concrete changes, it remains to be seen!

And to everyone who was cool and said they'd try Clairvoyance, check out the edited OP for tips on when and when not to use it! I know I speak highly of it but it can actually be a bad idea too!