Why should we respect others' religion?

1234567 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Amberleh

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campir View Post
-It just baffles me how your country can't grasp the concept of public education. In Canada any religious symbols are strictly forbidden in public schools. Is your rational population really that powerless?

-Is sunday shopping banned by law in the States? If not, it's off the list.

-Slavery still isn't a relevant law, kind of hard to include it on the list of "relevant laws influenced by Christianity".
Look, Powerstoned met your challenge. Is it REALLY that painful to admit he met your requirements without being a child about it? =/

People are wrong sometimes. I'm wrong plenty. IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL. People will actually, gasp, respect you more if you admit defeat once in a blue moon- This goes for everyone.

Also you asked about Slavery. I elaborated.

standin

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberleh View Post
Look, Powerstoned met your challenge. Is it REALLY that painful to admit he met your requirements without being a child about it? =/

People are wrong sometimes. I'm wrong plenty. IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL. People will actually, gasp, respect you more if you admit defeat once in a blue moon- This goes for everyone.

Keep in mind who you're talking.

Amberleh

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by standin View Post
Keep in mind who you're talking.
Yeah I know. I just felt the need to unleash mom-mode. =D

c4lm

11-14-2012

Quote:

What? I'm asking about relevant laws influenced by Christianity. This is why I troll all the time, you people don't want a discussion, you want a blood bath.

I think I'm being civil, unless you just wanted this to be the usual atheist circle jerk in which case I'll leave.

Amberleh

11-14-2012

Quote:
What? I'm asking about relevant laws influenced by Christianity. This is why I troll all the time, you people don't want a discussion, you want a blood bath.

I think I'm being civil, unless you just wanted this to be the usual atheist circle jerk in which case I'll leave.
He stated relevant laws and you complained and nitpicked and tried to dance around the fact that they are, in fact, laws that are in place. You idea of relevance seems to be whatever YOU decide, on a whim, is relevant. You just can't admit that he gave you 5 or more relevant laws. You also decided to exclude homosexual marriage, for whatever reason, despite that being a very important Christian law.

And I am no athiest- Quite frankly I think athiests are as annoying as any other religion.

standin

11-14-2012

Quote:
Yeah I know. I just felt the need to unleash mom-mode. =D
<3 you mom.
And Campir, you know exactly what she was talking about.
You're the one who wants some sort of blood-bath. >.>

c4lm

11-14-2012

Quote:
He stated relevant laws and you complained and nitpicked and tried to dance around the fact that they are, in fact, laws that are in place. You idea of relevance seems to be whatever YOU decide, on a whim, is relevant

. And I am no athiest- Quite frankly I think athiests are as annoying as any other religion.
Holy fuck, so by asking him to discuss why certain laws are based in Christianity and disagreeing that some are, I'm complaining?

It's a discussion, you're really going to chew me out for civilly discussing something? I don't care if he proves me wrong, I want to discuss the damn thing.

c4lm

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by standin View Post
<3 you mom.
And Campir, you know exactly what she was talking about.
You're the one who wants some sort of blood-bath. >.>
If she's dumb enough to condone your actions on a daily basis who cares what she's talking about.

Powerstoned

11-14-2012

Death Penalty - How is this the the result of Christianity?
Who made this law? Think the old adage of "an eye for an eye" didn't weigh into it?

Jim Crow Law - According to Wikipedia it is a law that existed nearly 40 years ago and largely dealt with racial segregation? Can you elaborate on how Christianity influenced this? Or how this is relevant in current day?
Mixing of the races/people's is forbidden in the old testament, and is never ok'd by the new. The effects of this law still impact living americans today.

Slavery - Elaborate. Also I said relevant laws. I'm fairly certain slavery in the US isn't a huge thing right now.
Slavery isn't legal no, but again, it's impacts people and business still to this day. Having generation after generation of land owners leaving their estates to the next generation to inherit, is incredibely helpful to those following generations, it's how many people go to college, or buy land themselves. My great-great-great grandfather's farm greatly impacted even my father's inheritance, as it will mine. +There's a lot of big american companies that got rich off of slave labor. Really america's standing in the world as the #1 economy is the result of slave labor being legal here longer than in most places, allowing the US to prosper with it longer. Still revelant, +1.

Contraception Laws - Eh, sure. That's one.
+1

Sodomy Laws - I said relevant laws.
There are still anti-sodomy laws on the books in many states. +1

The halting of stem cell research - +1

the teaching of creationism in public schools/the forbidding of teaching evolution in some schools - both failures of US education system, it's laughable either of these things exist.
+1 Evolution is real my friend. It's part of how we classify animals in biology for christ sake. If you take biology in school, evolution is a big part of it.

the forbidding of teaching evolution in some schools - like, say, christian schools? Wouldn't that make sense?
If it was only christian schools sure, but the fun state of kansas has repeatedly outlawed evolution taught in public schools. You should look into the many recent Kansas state supreme court ruling and you'll wonder if they stuck in the year 1812, not 2012 +1

school prayer - once again a short coming of your education system.
+1
defunding of planned parenthood - I guess, I'm not an American so I don't understand it fully.
+1
Barring women from gainful employment in churches - What? Women have no trouble gaining church employment, just not as priests in most denominations. Kind of like how church doctrine might forbid abortion or enforce chastity. If the woman doesn't like not being a priest, switch denominations.
So...+1 then?

Churches exempted from property taxes - eh, sure.
+1
Liquour stores closed on sunday - most stores close on sunday. Nice try, atheism.
Most stores close early, they're not legally forbidden from being open, and it's not like people don't want to buy alcohol just because it's sunday. +1

Want more?

Amberleh

11-14-2012

Quote:
Holy fuck, so by asking him to discuss why certain laws are based in Christianity and disagreeing that some are, I'm complaining?

It's a discussion, you're really going to chew me out for civilly discussing something? I don't care if he proves me wrong, I want to discuss the damn thing.

Annnd you continue to dance around the point Campir. I'm going to bed/eating/doing art or something more productive than this.

<3 you Standin!! <3 <3 <3

1234567 ... 8