Explain Elo please?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

adc

11-13-2012

No, it will take a larger win percentage to find your true Elo. If I go 0/10 in placements from 1200 Elo, I'll drop to 700 or so. At 700 Elo, I'll need to win 108 games more than I lose, roughly (assuming 12 Elo per win and loss), to get 2000 Elo. However, if I go 10/0 in placements, I'll go up to 1700 or so - so I'll only need to win 25 games more than I lose to get to 2000 Elo.

deirin

11-13-2012

1 sentence...quite easy to understand...: the more u climb in elo, the better the player are, the harder it is to win...

LogicalTautology

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
No, it will take a larger win percentage to find your true Elo. If I go 0/10 in placements from 1200 Elo, I'll drop to 700 or so. At 700 Elo, I'll need to win 108 games more than I lose, roughly (assuming 12 Elo per win and loss), to get 2000 Elo. However, if I go 10/0 in placements, I'll go up to 1700 or so - so I'll only need to win 25 games more than I lose to get to 2000 Elo.
Yes, but if you are a 2000 Elo player (in terms of skill level), and you drop to 700 Elo due to random bad luck, you will probably not drop a single game until you get back to at least 1500 Elo. Not a single game. I'll also note that if you're a 2000-level player, you won't go 0-10 from a starting Elo of 1200 if you are trying to win. I don't think you could even go 8-2 unless you purposefully threw a game.

adc

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalTautology View Post
Yes, but if you are a 2000 Elo player (in terms of skill level), and you drop to 700 Elo due to random bad luck, you will probably not drop a single game until you get back to at least 1500 Elo. Not a single game. I'll also note that if you're a 2000-level player, you won't go 0-10 from a starting Elo of 1200 if you are trying to win. I don't think you could even go 8-2 unless you purposefully threw a game.
But that doesn't change the fact the system will make it more difficult for you to get there because of that.

Also, for statistics sake: A 600 Elo difference gives the higher player a 99% chance to win.

OddGreybush

11-15-2012

for me, i was around 850 elo ending season 2, i just started playing lol a few months ago and when I started playing ranked I was unaware back then of the elo loss for dodging ranked which put me in a big hole to dig out of (before the elo loss change for dodging).

I went 5/5 in my placement matches which put me at 1040, and have gone 4/0 since then and climbed up to 1153. The large elo gains and losses in these early games are helping me climb out, so even after your placement matches if you keep winning early you'll climb fast.

7-1 with Sona so far...wonder how many people have climbed out of elo hell with a support champ hehe.

Soraka Goes Mid

11-15-2012

Let me explain this in layman's terms.

You are facing against 1400 elo players with a 51% win rate. The General is facing against 2400 elo players with a 51% win rate. Because he's going up against much tougher opponents and still winning the same amount of games, he deserves the higher elo.

KingSnafu

11-15-2012

elo is just a measure of the amount of time you spent and how consistantly you play and very little to do with how good you are. Higher elo isnt harder as far as the skill of the players 1400 and 2400 about the same the difference is 2400 players pay a lot more attention to there map and entire teams movement whereas in 1400s its just a bunch of people running around