Anyone get Dragon Tamer Lulu?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Oak122

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KínseySíx View Post
I'm a big Lulu fan so I checked out the skin on youtube, and whilst not mind-blowing I thought it was decent skin.

I headed off to the store to buy it - then spotted that it was 1350. I simply couldn't for the life of me figure out why. It's an okay skin, but certainly nowhere near Riot's best work. It's not even on par with more recent 975 skins. I really do not understand.

Needless to say I passed on this particular skin.
I did more or less the same.

LordTobiothan

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I know this isn't my area of expertise, but if you found your purchase worth it and enjoy the skin, is it ripping someone off? I'm not sure I get that.
it just means there will no longer be any skin content for people that cant blow 20$ every week.

Morello

Lead Designer

11-14-2012
3 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorsnuggly View Post
I think the complaints you are going to get are not about the skin. You and Hippa stated that Kha'Zix was a special event and that skins would not normally be priced at 1350. Then soon after there is another 1350 skin (worthy or not). People are worried that 1350 will become the new price point for skins. You need to communicate better what your intentions are. Kinda like with the 6300 champ thing. I have no problem with all new champs being 6300 as long as you reduce the price of some of the older champs. But you went forever without saying anything. Now you have a new price point on skins, tons of threads show up, and you don't say anything.
Alright - this is helpful. Basically, your thought is that a long-standing silence has made this a sore issue, and that sore issue leads to the feeling of unfair pricing on objects if that price is unexpected or higher. In this case, it would be less related to Dragon Tamer Lulu, and more with our historical messaging about pricing?

I know Hippalus has talked about a lot of these issues, maybe just not this specific one. I don't understand pricing details much myself, but I can see if I can get him to come talk about this one.

Additionally, I know there's some people saying "this isn't worth that price" - I understand that feedback. What I didn't understand was "it's worth it, but I feel ripped off."

HappyDerpy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

it was 100% buy until i logged on and saw the price.

I am sorry but i just can't bring myself to buy it at it's current price.

Tempestphile

11-14-2012

reds are actually potatoes, don't get too excited

YMIG Exclusive

11-14-2012

Quote:
I know this isn't my area of expertise, but if you found your purchase worth it and enjoy the skin, is it ripping someone off? I'm not sure I get that.
The steak i had was totally worth eating, I enjoyed it, But i feel ripped off because they just made $25 profit... (He didnt use the term 'worth it' which would imply The money = Skin.)

Darn. this was just spoken about.

Amiithystine

11-14-2012

Quote:
Additionally, I know there's some people saying "this isn't worth that price" - I understand that feedback. What I didn't understand was "it's worth it, but I feel ripped off."

Sorry if I made that unclear. The phrase "Ripped off" is perhaps carrying itself more strongly than I had hoped. The nature of the message was slightly whimsical, but the point remains.

I don't feel bad about my purchase. I would buy it again in fact.

I do not think the sum of its parts are worth the price it is listed at, but because I subjectively appreciate these parts so much myself I allowed myself to indulge.

Perhaps I am mistaken, maybe as I continue to play with it I will notice the subtle nuances that make you at Riot feel the skin is worth it's current price point, but at the moment I feel as I have paid 1350 for what is a 975 skin.

Once again, I'm not angry with Riot. I wouldn't like to see 1350 suddenly become the new price point (As was mentioned) but if that were to happen I would simply stop buying skins. Sorry for our misunderstanding.

Ishinokao

11-14-2012

I like Lulu, but I'm not buying the skin because of the price.

Makuo

11-14-2012

I feel ripped off as well but eh :/

Soiyeruda

11-14-2012

Quote:
Alright - this is helpful. Basically, your thought is that a long-standing silence has made this a sore issue, and that sore issue leads to the feeling of unfair pricing on objects if that price is unexpected or higher. In this case, it would be less related to Dragon Tamer Lulu, and more with out historical messaging about pricing?

I know Hippalus has talked about a lot of these issues, maybe just not this specific one. I don't understand pricing details much myself, but I can see if I can get him to come talk about this one.
No. That's what the initial outburst was.

The problem is that 1350 RP pricing was assumed to be something akin to "pseudo-legendary." Dragon Trainer Lulu by herself is barely 975 RP quality and dragon Pix does not make up the 375 RP difference, given how unpolished the skin feels.

I assume it's not incorrect to assume that a 1350 RP skin has most of the following qualities:
- New model
- Some new sound effects
- Some new animations
- New spell/particle effects
- Possibly new voice
- Some new lines
- Likely limited to champions with multiple models/transformations (Nidalee, Kha'zix, etc.)

Kha'zix had all of these. Dragon Trainer Lulu has:
- New model
- Subtle new particle effects
- New dragon pix with animations

New model is a 975 RP quality. New spell/particle effects are a 975 RP quality. I honestly do not believe that Dragon Pix is worth the extra 375 RP. If you made it 1350 RP quality (eg. give Pix a voice, make Whimsy more noticeable on allies, give Lulu a few newer lines, possibly in relation to dragons, etc.), the skin would feel more satisfying.