FeralPony and Roku Discuss Preseason Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shined

11-13-2012

That is cool, thanks guys!

Skye

11-13-2012

real

Theurgist Afrine

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysn5 View Post
wtf IS RIOT THINKING NERFING FLASH AAAAAAAAAAAAAGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU MIGHT AS WELLL REMOVE THE SUMMONER SPELLS ALTOGETHER
:| [RANT]
Flashfags.- The people of the game who believe that ignite and flash are the only two Summoner Spells in the whole damned game. No, ghost doesn't mean ****. No, Heal is for newwwwwwwwwwwwbs. And teleport is useless b/c I can't use it to get away!!!
:| [/RANT]

Anywho... I quite honestly believe that the summoner spell flash is far too heavily relied on in the game. Pretty much, gameplay almost revolves around flash. Something where you have to escape? Flash! Want to get that kill? Flash! Flash over the wall! Gank the person who didn't take flash and punish him for his impotence! Flash toward your turret! Flash-initiation! Flash yer boobs! ...imeenwut?

Really, the Summoner spell flash dominates the gameplay. If it were removed altogether, the game would be much less... flash-reliant... much more balanced (yes, balanced as in not reliant on one thing, but rather a multitude of things, not balanced as in fair). Other spells would get more attention and the game would be much more interesting to play. Rather, at least for the moment, everyone takes the almighty flash.

I'm rather interested to see what effect the implementation of Barrier will have on the venerated duet of flash-ignite.

Kristand

11-13-2012

FeralPony, would you be so kind and tell what you think about altering this new Pickpocket mastery to give you bonus gold for attacking enemy champions or destroying a ward? This might be interesting factor to encourage not just sitting in a whole warded lane and farming, but leading some "vision wars" instead. It also might be useful for utility based junglers, who might find oracle ward-sweeping a bit more rewarding

A Feisty Peacawk

11-13-2012

So, when will we see the new mastery and item, changes?

Adderx3

11-13-2012

i like the idea of passive components on summoner spells like the ad/ap boost on ignite

I Support Only I

11-13-2012

Great stuff!

EvilMerodach

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roku View Post
Yes - we do admit that they didn't work well.

Promote was OK for its intended use - but we feel like as a strategic choice it is better fit on an item. This allows us to control the effect in many different ways than a Summoner Spell does (who buys it, when it becomes available in a game, and how much cost you're paying for the effect).

As for Surge - we definitely missed the mark. Originally Surge was envisioned as a team oriented spell, something similar to old Rally. After a few iterations it had to be toned down, but we didn't want to make the user feel worse for taking it. As it stands now, it does come down to which spell is going to give you more damage - Ignite or Surge. In an overwhelming majority of cases, Ignite will actually give you more mileage even if Surge sounds better. This becomes especially true later in the game as Ignite ignores armor / magic resist. Surge was fun to cast, and had good synergy with a particular couple champions - but a majority of the time it was actually a trap. There were some fun aspects of it - turret pushing, clever edge case uses, and getting bigger, but it overall was a false choice.
I shall miss my max stack, Lulu ulti'd,, ghosted, surged Cho'Gath.
But seriously..I understand. I think the spell was only really worthwhile on like...3? champions. Cho'Gath being #1. Hybrid pen, AP/AS Cho'Gath can deal a scary amount of damage in those 12 seconds.

On another note, fortify>promote. Could you maybe consider bringing fortify back as an item active? Like only fortify the tower nearest to you. I'm not even talking about the tower not taking damage, the uses of that as an anti-tower dive where amazing. I used to get double kills with Rammus+taunt+fortify all the time. And I really don't think that was why it was removed. From what I remember the bad part was fortifying to save a tower from a minion wave you didn't have enough map awareness to stop in time to get there.
Which, giving it an item, only usable at short range, would eliminate that problem.
Think about it? Pl0xers?

Edit: Also, in the case of Lulu ulti'd surged Cho'Gath, it was actually pretty useful as a team spell. Bigger size=more slow for Lulu/team.
And a couple times I managed to save allies and get a couple kills all because of the extra damage on surge at the right time (best was a quad with 3 fleeing allies, ghost in, surge, eat someone, pop/silence, chase down with autoattacks, was epic lol's xD )

Dante Sangelli

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus Ellilude View Post
:| [RANT]
Flashfags.- The people of the game who believe that ignite and flash are the only two Summoner Spells in the whole damned game. No, ghost doesn't mean ****. No, Heal is for newwwwwwwwwwwwbs. And teleport is useless b/c I can't use it to get away!!!
:| [/RANT]

Anywho... I quite honestly believe that the summoner spell flash is far too heavily relied on in the game. Pretty much, gameplay almost revolves around flash. Something where you have to escape? Flash! Want to get that kill? Flash! Flash over the wall! Gank the person who didn't take flash and punish him for his impotence! Flash toward your turret! Flash-initiation! Flash yer boobs! ...imeenwut?

Really, the Summoner spell flash dominates the gameplay. If it were removed altogether, the game would be much less... flash-reliant... much more balanced (yes, balanced as in not reliant on one thing, but rather a multitude of things, not balanced as in fair). Other spells would get more attention and the game would be much more interesting to play. Rather, at least for the moment, everyone takes the almighty flash.

I'm rather interested to see what effect the implementation of Barrier will have on the venerated duet of flash-ignite.
I get what you're saying, but removing flash would give blink champions (Leblanc, ezreal etc) too great an advantage. I also feel that the implementation of barrier on all maps gives blink champs an advantage. Other champs may still feel that flash is a better choice while blink champs can use their abilities to allow for barrier. I feel most of the blink champs were pretty well balanced. It will be interesting to see if barrier changes this.

Roku

QA Analyst

11-13-2012
19 of 20 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Master F3 View Post
CURIOUS if Heal is getting a full effect on allies w/out masteries, will Clarity see a similar buff?
Perhaps...