FeralPony and Roku Discuss Preseason Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheArtemist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2012

@Roku In the last 860 odd posts in this thread i have yet to see a single post in support of the proposed Surge removal, only complaint and commiseration.

What is Riots response to overwhelming dissent from the community?

Shaun

11-13-2012

Sweet!

Lord Azrak

11-13-2012

Awesome update. have a question can u also make an item
with same effect has surge that way we'll figure it out :P i mean
when to use the stuff u talk about....

Palthios

11-13-2012

I guess Im one of the few that will miss Surge. I admit that it didnt work well on most champions. It really only worked if you were playing someone that couldnt get kited very easy. I loved getting it on Yi. Surge + Ghostblabe + Highlander was awesome with Frozen Mallet.

iLuimi

11-13-2012

Since everyone can get that mastery, supports will stay on the same position, because others roles will also get items faster than now.

TheArtemist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palthios View Post
I guess Im one of the few that will miss Surge.
Not one of the few, one of the many. All who used it will miss it, those that didn't, wont notice. Sum total= loss.

KooolPolostream

11-13-2012

Pretty awesome changes, I like them

Doomerdinger

11-13-2012

Is anyone else worried about what barrier will do to Karthus's ult? Will it get a buff in damage to compensate for the fact that in competitive play (draft pick) it becomes very easy to counter for any champion if they so choose?

An Sionnach

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roku View Post
Hey summoners,

Im Roku, Game QA Analyst at Riot Games, and Im here today to fill you in on some of the upcoming summoner spell changes we have planned this preseason. Overall, we want to offer you more viable summoner spells, so that you have plenty of options to tailor your selections to suit your individual playstyle and strategic needs. We hope to accomplish this by equalizing power levels and solidifying unique roles for each spell choice.

For starters, we plan to make Barrier available across all maps rather than just the Proving Grounds. To ensure its balanced it well be increasing its cooldown and reducing its duration. Barrier will require faster reaction time in its new form, but will remain the go-to defensive option against burst damage. To reinforce this change, were also reducing the overall effect of Heal, but modifying it to heal allies for the same amount as it heals the caster. This will solidify Heal into a support role, while making it less useful for baiting opponents.

Next, were making some subtle tweaks to many of the summoner spells. Flash and Ignite will each have their cooldowns increased slightly in order to bring them more in line with other spells. Clarity, Clairvoyance, and Exhaust are set for small changes that will make them more visible during gameplay and emphasize their specific roles.

Finally, well be removing both Promote and Surge. Were creating an item with an effect like Promote since it makes sense as a strategic option, and having it as a buy-in strategy means well be able to better balance the effect in relation to its gold cost. Surge is being removed because it isnt always clear when to use it or which champions benefit from it. In the end, Surge is a competing spell in a niche wed like Ignite to fill.

In the preseason we want summoner spells to be another way to customize your champion to suit your playstyle instead of being dominated by a few, extremely strong choices. Were confident that these modifications will free you up to experiment with different combinations and tailored to your favorite champions.
Ok just now finally got around to cruising the forums and see all these intended changes and wanna give my two cents input as a player:

First off changes i agree with.
Promote being moved to an item. I agree whole heartedly this is a GREAT spell however requiring it to take that summoner spell location is rly difficult to justify when it is needed for early game for certain mids or for strategic heavy pushing of lanes.

The auxillary spells (exhuast, clarity, etc.) being tweaked to provide a better benefit to keep them on par with other spells also much needed.

Now for the stuff i think is absolutely dumb.
Surge being removed: this is my biggest beef. I personally feel that surge is a GREAT summoner spell for almost ANY AD carry. It provides a much needed atk speed bonus in early game to either secure a gank or to severely punish an aggressive harasser. I see some AD use ignite over surge and some i do agree with it however many (such as corki varus, twitch, darius, teemo, or TF, etc.) that have a need for heavy atk speed to get a good bonus from their passives or from an ability to properly deal enough damage surge is still a WAY better option. If they manage to flash away so what at least they now have to leave their lane, and aside from that until lvl 8-9 somethin around there a single health pot will keep u alive thru an ignite... ignite is countered by a 35g item... surge is not.

Barrier being moved and heal tweaked: while i agree with those changes and i believe they would but nice changes to SR i feel that introducing barrier to SR even in a debuffed manor will create the EXACT same arguement for the two as you have with surge and ignite. they will both be filling the same "OH ****. Save me button." niche. heal should be made to heal all targets for the lesser amount but having 2 save me buttons will create the same niche confusion as surge and ignite but to a defensive standpoint.

These r my personal opinions and take them for what theyre worth but i will say surge IS a good summoner ability and it should be left in, as i personally find it a FAR better option than ignite... once again mainly cuz ignite is countered by a health pot.

Roku

QA Analyst

11-13-2012
18 of 20 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbx View Post
I was wondering. Are you guys ever going to make a summoner spell that isn't castable and just gives a bonus passive? Maybe with masteries this passive could be strengthened. I just thought it might be possible for laners that don't like to be as aggressive. Or, if it's an aggressive passive, like bonus damage of some sort, then maybe it's beneficial to take for an early game advantage if you want the risk of giving up Ignite or exhaust. Would there be a way to make such a spell without them being overpowered, and balanced with those Ignite/exhaust?
I'd be a bit hesitant for a purely passive Summoner Spell...because clicking buttons and seeing effects is a really fun thing. You lose gameplay and balancing levers when making a purely passive spell (cooldown, uptime, etc)

However, Heal might gain a purely passive component to slightly benefit the person that picked it.