@WhattayaBrian What is your job?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skoron

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
Language features, naturally, are just the tip of the iceberg. You also need good architectural skills, and algorithms and data structures are a major part of that. You should understand all the major STL containers: vector, list, map, deque, string, etc, and you absolutely must have a solid grasp of algorithmic complexity (big-oh notation).
What are your feelings on cout vs. printf?

Also, would RIOT hire me if I said that I could make a sorting algorithm that ran in linear time?

Axl4002

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

He's also an amazing shoutcaster.
;D

F5 Zarozz Mid

11-12-2012

When you say an "associate" role, is this referring to graduates? If not what is expected of graduate soft ware eng's at riot.

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

11-12-2012
5 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoron View Post
What are your feelings on cout vs. printf?

Also, would RIOT hire me if I said that I could make a sorting algorithm that ran in linear time?
I'm sure you could just use your infinite money to do whatever you wanted at that point. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarozz View Post
When you say an "associate" role, is this referring to graduates? If not what is expected of graduate soft ware eng's at riot.
Yes, the general three-tiered hierarchy is Associate, Mid-Level, and Senior. Everything I described would be expected of people without prior experience in the industry.

LightEcho

11-12-2012

Quote:
I'm sure you could just use your infinite money to do whatever you wanted at that point. :P

Yes, the general three-tiered hierarchy is Associate, Mid-Level, and Senior. Everything I described would be expected of people without prior experience in the industry.
I can make infinite money from making a counting sort oh boy.

Dreggon

11-12-2012

Quote:
Why is Xypherous only an Associate?

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

11-12-2012
6 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightEcho View Post
I can make infinite money from making a counting sort oh boy.
Ugh fine. "...by which I mean a comparison sort on generalized data."

BuilderBob93

11-12-2012

Quote:
Ugh fine. "...by which I mean a comparison sort on generalized data."
Im a Chem engineering major, but I'm curious about computer programming as well. Is Python a good language to start learning?

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

11-12-2012
7 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob93 View Post
Im a Chem engineering major, but I'm curious about computer programming as well. Is Python a good language to start learning?
If you want to get into it as a hobby, or for practical applications, Python is magnificent. It's incredibly easy to use, and it forces you to write it in an easily-readable format (to more experienced programmers' chagrin :P). There are tons of utility libraries for you to use out of the box as well.

YOLOUnlessZilean

11-12-2012

lol