FeralPony and Roku Discuss Preseason Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Clockworksummonr

11-12-2012

Is the offensive tree going to give more love to AP characters? The idea of AD being able to go straight down the tree to get stats that easily benefit them kinda seemed unfair to APs who had to choose to put an extra 3 points into something like Havoc (which we all know isn't that impressive), Strength (only really helpful for last hitting) or Alacrity (which mages shouldn't be needing atk speed unless your Ori/Diana)

violetsandpiper

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari Arisu View Post
I'm VERY upset with this.
You're removing it because very few use it, and not doing anything to compensate?
That's infuriating.

Surge has a LOT of potential that people haven't figured out yet. I've been making SO much use of it, in place of Ignite on some of my favorite champions.
With Ignite getting a LONGER cooldown, this just made Surge much better!

Now you're telling me I have to go back to using Ignite like everyone else, destroying my entire Surge strategy? Just because it's under-rated?
Come on.

If you're removing Surge, give us something to compensate. Otherwise, leave it in. I absolutely hate that you're just going to remove it for no reason.
Actually if you've seen any of the math done on surge it is outclassed by ignite 99% of the time. It was underused not because people thought it was bad but because it was too conditional to get the max effects of it and even when you did it barely had more dps then ignite, not accounting for the healing reduction also given by it.

WhiteJarate

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roku View Post
Hey summoners,
Finally, we’ll be removing both Promote and Surge. We’re creating an item with an effect like Promote since it makes sense as a strategic option, and having it as a buy-in strategy means we’ll be able to better balance the effect in relation to its gold cost. Surge is being removed because it isn’t always clear when to use it or which champions benefit from it. In the end, Surge is a competing spell in a niche we’d like Ignite to fill.
No more 5 minute level 4 Udyr dragon solo for me :,( Doing that used to be how I impressed my friends. Now I can't do it anymore, unless of course that machete item is good enough to allow him to do it. I know that, right now, Udyr can level 4 clear the jungle without any items whatsoever.

Okay, just making theories here. Right now, I start boots in the jungle, and after my level 4 clear, go back and grab 2 health pots, a mana pot, cloth armor, and a fort pot for dragon. If, in the new jungle, I start Machete (confirmed cost at 300 gp), I might be able to upgrade to Madred's Razors on the first back. Getting Barrier as my second summoner spell would help with the dragon, too. Only time will tell if that will make the difference. I'm crossing my fingers

Yenotguilty

11-12-2012

We fear change.

chumbler

11-12-2012

Yo Riot, remove flash. None of your changes will matter until you do that.

PS How about instead of just removing surge you make it not a piece of **** that is strictly worse than ignite?

Ekohz

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMIG Exclusive View Post
Ignore them, and do you boo boo. Ive played ad zil multiple times. 800 elo!!!! op gg
well, i sincerely hope Riot fixes the mastery builds to incorperate the use of outer-meta building and role plays.

i lost faith in Riot after i got perma banned for going AP / attack speed trundle.

ridiculous.

CallMeMcMurphy

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralPony View Post
Indomitable is gone and Tough Skin has been updated

You’ll notice the absence of a few of the previous masteries, most notably Indomitable. We also changed Tough Skin so that it no longer grants reduced damage from lane minions. These two masteries trivialized early game minion damage when combined, allowing players to easily “freeze” lanes. Freezing lanes contributes heavily to snowballing and limits the viability of certain champions, so we wanted to make it a more risky proposition.
Correct me if I'm wrong here but most of the champs that would abuse these masteries would be specing deep in to the offense tree while only going as far as Indomitable in the defense tree. Referring to the "Rincent" mastery set-up of 19/11 which started as a set up for bruisers in top lane by the end of the season even AD carries like Aphromoo were running. Because not only can you freeze your lane if you have to but it drastically reduces the damage you take from trades in lane when lots of minions are present.

However I feel like this mastery set-up only became popular because the return from the percentage based damage masteires, Executioner and Havoc, turned out to be lack luster at best when you really looked at the numbers. So in the end throwing two points in the defense tree benefits heavy damage dealers better than taking what was supposed to be the "big reward" for going 21 points in offense.

So my question is will we see significant changes to Executioner and Havoc to make them more worth while? Or will they perhaps be replaced? Since Indomitable is being removed I feel like going full 21 points or more in the Offense tree needs to be made more appealing.

P.S. If you are replacing Executioner consider naming the end of the tree Offense mastery "Tons of Damage" :-D

Boogna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcortis View Post
Will the utility tree include interesting mechanics like removing unit collision or will it generally be about resource management, vamps, exp and gold?

that is an awsome idea..... plz riot. look into that option. my supports will loveyou forever! no more allie minons killing me.

forcemblem

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Barrier is just a "weaker temporary" heal.

Kari Arisu

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetsandpiper View Post
Actually if you've seen any of the math done on surge it is outclassed by ignite 99% of the time. It was underused not because people thought it was bad but because it was too conditional to get the max effects of it and even when you did it barely had more dps then ignite, not accounting for the healing reduction also given by it.
It allows Akali to win early 2v1s. You can't Ignite 2 people, nor does it give any sudden burst AP. 40% ASPD early game is also good on her.
Ignite also has a MUCH LONGER COOLDOWN.