FeralPony and Roku Discuss Preseason Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CragBlade

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Visions View Post
*cough* Darius *cough*
Mainly Irelia and Jax, not so much Darius. He already has the highest starting armor in the game.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

So....any plans on removing or revamping Clarity?

Why put a noob trap into this game? Why not just remove it and put it on an item like Promote? Why not just outright remove it like Surge? Or atleast disable it for level 30 games? By that point there is literally no excuse for not being able to manage your mana.

I was a newbie once at level 1-30, did I ever use Clarity? No. Why should anyone need Clarity? I got around fine without it at early levels!

StealthAxl

11-12-2012

Glad their now adding in a little more verity in the masteries and it doesn't feel so...WoW-ish anymore

I Concede

11-12-2012

I can understand why you would drop surge but the reasons you gave were pretty weird o-o

CheeseNOnion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Barrier > 4sec
Heal > permanent -_-
and why compare Surge with Ignite, a total miss there. Heck, I think even Promote has its uses combined with teleporters for split pushing (while team fighting of course)

Edit- So okay the Barrier counters the Ignite, but still... Heal and Barrier kinda do the same thing. I'll still take it though XD maybe even both of them at the same time.

2pudge1cup

11-12-2012

i hope the duration of barrier is less than the duration of ignite.

FeralPony

Live Balance Designer

11-12-2012
8 of 20 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnykine View Post
I am so excited now, especially about the utility tree.

Also, how many sugar cubes does one need in order to ride the FeralPony or is it more of a height issue?
I will never be tamed for mere sugar cubes. Cookies do work reasonable well though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schplat View Post
Does this mean that I will have to redo all of my mastery pages? This is the first big change to the mastery tree since I started playing, so I'm asking in all seriousness.
Yes, we will be resetting everyone's mastery pages. Sorry

GrizlakMonger

11-12-2012

Barrier is the most game slowing, stupid spell in the world. It reduces the fun of ARAM's immensely and feels just like a noob-friendly ability so that out-playing someone isn't as important. When playing with all people I know, we don't play with barrier in ARAMs. That being said, it will make summoner's rift feel just as gimmicky if people are popping that thing in key battles. Please Riot, who are you trying to appeal to with it? The ARAM players who have never even touched a ranked game?

Also, I'll save judgment until I see it, but it sounds like no one will be putting 9 points in defense any more. Currently there is actually more variety in competitive masteries than you make it sound like, but nerfing the defense tree so hard makes me think now that variety will disappear. No more 18/12/0, 19/11/0, 21/9/0. If anything is remotely close, we'll be back to everyone running 21/0/9 (which is still a super strong page currently, its just the way masteries were set up allowed more variety than just that). Also, we see mages going 21/9/0, 21/0/9, 9/11/10 (used by Azubu Ambition throughout MLG Dallas). Now, just because you don't see much variety in solo queue doesn't mean you don't have a flexible system. It simply means everyone is afraid to truly try different things. Also, getting rid of one of the actually viable nonstandard summoners (Promote) and nerfing the other non standard summoner (Heal) to increase summoner choices? OK, Ignite flash/ Exhaust flash it is..., unless you actually stick with barrier, then its just stupid heal barrier or flash barrier in every lane on every champ. Sounds boring, slow, and anti-skill.

Mo shaggin

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralPony View Post
I will never be tamed for mere sugar cubes. Cookies do work reasonable well though.

Yes, we will be resetting everyone's mastery pages. Sorry
womp womp

Voliboar

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voliboar View Post
What I don't understand is:

Is the S3 Mastery Tree overall made to help champions early game or to multiply their stats late game?

Is the S3 Utility Mastery Tree for early game or late game?

If you go 21-9-0, you do tons of damage while having a bit of survivability, and do even more damage late game (?)

If you go 0-9-21, I'm assuming that you get some sustain, regen, cdr, movespeed, exp and gold bonus.
But you would lose a lot of damage, so it's not beneficial early game.
Late game the regeneration is terrible and exp/gold bonus is useless because you're already level 18 and fully built. The movespeed, cdr, lifesteal/spellvamp are left. Movespeed and cdr are fine, but if you're getting lifesteal/spellvamp anyway, then more damage means more health gained back.

Which means, Utility is worthless early and late game.

Does it help mid-game? No, it just helps you get there faster and safer, but since your early game is worse, good enemies would take advantage of that.

Wait, so you sit back and farm? Is Riot encouraging boring passive playing? Farm until 20 minutes then team fight?

I'm confused about the purpose of the Utility Tree, on anything other than support. Junglers also take more damage now so I'm sure 21 points in Defense, or at least Offense, is necessary.