FeralPony and Roku Discuss Preseason Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fiestero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Any new runes / rune changes??

NinjaInc

11-12-2012

Will elo reset twice?? can you explain me about "Pre-season"

Atlanis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlÝry View Post
This bugs me. So basically instead of making the trip down the mastery tree full of interesting decision points like "do i want this, or this?" it's just, "here are the obvious masteries that I would want in this particular tree, check check check."

Why don't you just have us click Offensive, Defensive, and Utility, and automatically get a talent tree, if you're going to purposefully streamline the trees?

Talent trees are NOT easy to design. Ask Blizzard. They have struggled for years/are struggling with trees that are too streamlined to the point where it's OBVIOUS which talents are best and you'd be a complete fool not to take them, and trees where nothing feels cohesive and people take a "best of" approach and "minor" in a variety of trees.

I feel there are two goals you should strive for when making talent trees:

1. Make the choices within a tree matter. Don't put one junk talent next to one good talent--no one's ever going to take the junk one, why even have it? Either delete it, or think up a comparable alternative.

2. Make talent trees change gameplay. This is hard to do for league since all 100+ characters have the same talent trees, but for example in Borderlands 2, certain talent trees flat change the way you play the game. Mechromancer gaining dmg and losing accuracy on reload, favoring small magazines, and getting a dmg proc on reload? Refilled shields on kill? Bam, suddenly you're running AT the enemy while reloading, to keep your dmg up and to keep the kills rolling in to keep your shields up. A totally different playstyle than you're used to in a shooter--bigger magazines are better, when you need to reload, lay low. Brilliant.

How do your new talent trees measure up to this criteria? Go.
You speak as if those two things are easy to do in any way. How many classes does B2 have? How many champions does LoL have? Is B2 trying to be an esport? LoL?

Darthob

11-12-2012

FeralPony:
I was wondering if the you/your creative group have considered a stealth sort of summoner spell e.g. Your champion becomes stealthed for 4 seconds. Attacking or casting spells ends this effect.

While I understand having such a summoner spell would practically force the opposing team to invest in Vision Wards/Oracles, I think it could add a wonderful dynamic to the game.

The way I see it now, there are only 2 real "escape/engage" summoner spells and it seems everyone is reliant on one or the other (mostly just Flash, however). This could open up the field in so many ways. Just like Flash and Ghost, it could be used both offensively and defensively and can make or break someone's life. It may seem overly powerful at first glance, but if you keep in mind that it can be nearly completely negated by items, I think it's more balanced in the end.

Albeit I DO see the potential problem you could run into with "Team A runs stealth and they use it to get the upper hand on Team B. Team A has the advantage and Team B is struggling to keep up. Team B can not afford to purchase oracles and/or are too weak to defend it. Even if they tried to purchase it, they would be put even further behind team A." ... What if Clairvoyance (or Clairvoyance upgraded by a mastery) reveal invisible units?

Just a thought. Maybe an item that grants the ability?

Anionie

11-12-2012

Barrier on SR means RIP LeBlanc

Vegeta27

11-12-2012

Barrier sounds like its dumb as hell and taking surge out is a horrible idea. These changes suck. I really hope you dont go through with this stupid ass change.

WavesBlade

11-12-2012

Custom games no longer have a game cap for gaining IP?

Yes?

YESS?

pls

DragonsEyeG

11-12-2012

sooooooo bad!!! the summoner spell changes are so stupid.. wth are you thinking about? Go make the game better by adding new champions and skins, we don't need these stupid changes.

ddaimyo

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrrationalNoob View Post
Unless there is counterplay among the trees. For example 1v1 a defensive build should probably beat an offensive tree build assuming same champion and all other factors equal.

Thus a defensive user can be better in lane and a offense tree user can be better at burst damage against squishes. Etc.

However, I agree the current trees do not add such a level of metagame and I hope new ones will.
That's true to some extent, but only for certain champs. Olaf can Mastery full tank because in lane his axe harass and burst with E is so large he doesn't need the damage from the Offense tree. Why would Sona ever go Offense tree? What could they possibly put in there that would make it worth her while over Utility tree. I could see going max defense on a support champ just because not dying is always good.

HeyLPG

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralPony View Post
We're talking about the lifesteal and spellvamp masteries not runes. The runes are untouched as far as I know.

That's correct. Though if Jax wants to spec into Utility for lifesteal and spellvamp to drop offense or defense and not smash your face in while being unkillable I think I'm okay with that
So the utility tree ISN'T viable for every champion then?

Also, I know plenty of people who really enjoy surge and promote. CLG even incoporated it into their strats. Aphromoo LOVES surge on Kog'maw and sometimes even Twitch. They're both really fun summoner spells. I mean I can understand the promote effect being added to an item active that's wicked sick. But what about surge? It's a really fun spell.