Item Preview Dust Sweeping

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Color Deaf

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflexroar17 View Post
Where exactly does Skarner fit with the change to suppression and QSS. He deals the damage twice?
Skarner's damage is dealt upfront and you can't stop it (unless you use BV or a spell shield). QSS is only clearing off the suppression in Skarner's case.

AntiSkillshot

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyltin View Post
Oracle and pik wards also exist now and people buy wards even when they get cleared again in the next seconds again. Why? cause vision and not dying is more important than this gold. Now people don't have to use extra gold to ward. When the enemy starts clearing wards, the item will get more effective, cause you don't have to buy more wards, you only have to go b a bit more often.

Against ganks you only have to ward all 4 jungle entrances (what is possible with 2 items). Now the enemy can only gank through the lane, what is really hard to do in mid lane and costs a lot of time for bot and top. But these paths also exist now. It is not about being unable to gank, but that this item is so effective that you get all your lost money back after 3-5 mins, and it gets more effective when upgraded probably and when the enemy has oracle (cause giving the enemy another 25g is nothing compared to getting killed).
And as a result, you're tower is the first to fall.

I'm not saying recalling is a bad idea, but to recall only to refill the item's wards is a very bad idea. It's even more troubling for a top and a mid. A support can leave the lane but must return as soon as possible, but even this is risky. As a support, your job to "babysit" or guard/assist the ADC during the laning phase, that "small" window of you finishing recall and returning to the tower is one of the most dangerous things for the ADC (if he hasn't recalled with you or retreated to the tower). As it can turn into a 1v3 or even a 1v4 from a 1v2 in a matter of seconds (if it does turn into a 1v4, not even the tower's going to save him, hell, you might not be able to either even if you're there).

Dreampod

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Generally, we've found that CDR is actually an annoying stat to put everywhere due to the fact that CDR caps at 40%. We have to be very careful about putting CDR on items - because while it's desirable statistics, it makes the items fight each other for space even more so.

An item that doesn't have CDR on it can basically stand on its own because it doesn't fight for space in your CDR cap.
Xyph, when you reply to someone can you use the clever little reply button rather than copy-pasting and then manually entering the quote tags if you aren't going to include enough information in the copy to know what is being discussed?

Xypherous

Systems Designer

11-10-2012
36 of 56 Riot Posts

Quote:
Xyph, when you reply to someone can you use the clever little reply button rather than copy-pasting and then manually entering the quote tags if you aren't going to include enough information in the copy to know what is being discussed?
I actually don't like using the reply button - but I messed up here. I copy/pasta'ed the wrong section. >_>

Mostly because it's one of my eclectic behaviors - sometimes I quote people who are mad or angry and I don't want attention drawn to them, only their argument.

I Am Tolan

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xypherous View Post
it's very hard for non-existent people to tell you that you are a tease.
oh **** ladies this man is duty free! Buy your tickets and stand in line cause we gotta taker!!!!!!!!!

VeryTense

11-10-2012

I'm quite looking forward to the changes.

3 ganking pathes for lanes + Malazahar ulti not being useless due to Qss. (Only worried about my on-hit teemo builds!)

Oh gosh, this will be fun!
This is why I gladly support *Riot

Color Deaf

11-10-2012

Quote:
I actually don't like using the reply button - but I messed up here. I copy/pasta'ed the wrong section. >_>

Mostly because it's one of my eclectic behaviors - sometimes I quote people who are mad or angry and I don't want attention drawn to them, only their argument.
So I take it you like to make fun of people that do stupid things IRL?

Reflexroar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Color Deaf View Post
Skarner's damage is dealt upfront and you can't stop it (unless you use BV or a spell shield). QSS is only clearing off the suppression in Skarner's case.
Seems a bit harsh for him but he will survive, that makes sense.

So I take it with HoG being removed on SR we will not see Lord Vandammes pillager on the rift? Thats a real shame in my opinion it seemed like AD casters were finally getting an item for them.

Vorlik

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2012

Quote:
Yeah, Phantom Dancer has had its' statistics extensively readjusted. It lost a *lot* of movement speed and a little bit of attack speed. It's also slightly cheaper and thus less slot-efficient.

It's been known for a while that Phantom Dancer was just too good but nerfing it would've caused a drastic effect on AD carry mobility / balance for a while. We've shifted some statistics around into other items that AD carries can easily fit into their builds and now PD doesn't have to be the king of both AS, Crit and MS.

On the plus side, it now has Ignore Unit Collision on it though. How useful that passive is, I'm not sure - but it is something that people have been asking for quite a while on their carries.

Not a dumb question at all. It's actually a tricky answer.

Ionic Spark is bad because it has a large set of conditions attached to it, some of which you can't control (whether you are doing well in the game or not, whether or not you can get 4 attacks in or not.)

However, if you fulfilled these conditions, the effect is worth the cost. Shen, for example, can force a situation where Ionic Spark is good for him... most of the time.

However, the problem in raw numerical buffs to an item is that it isn't the effect or the net result that is bad - it's that the conditionals are too harsh. For Ionic Spark specifically - Health is an odd conditional statistic that is great early game and terrible late game. The grouping and 4-hit conditional are really hard to resolve in most cases without the item simply tipping from conditionally good to always overpowered.

You also run into the problem where buffing an item so that more champions can use it well necessitates nerfs to the champion that uses it best. Let's say we buffed Ionic Spark so that everyone else can use it better. Where does this leave Shen, if he's balanced? Shen can buy other items and be good, so he's not completely reliant on Ionic Spark but he can use Ionic Spark awfully well (and in a balanced way.) However, raw buffing Ionic Spark in this context makes Shen a monster - which then necessitates Shen nerfs - which pretty much locks Shen to only buying Ionic Spark to stay relevant - which is kind of a terrible thing.
I just want to point out that Volibear would fit under the shen criteria you described here. Ionic's passive synergizes with his w and r nicely, along with the health from the item for his w scaling. Everyone forgets about poor Volibear =(

Swiftwynd

11-10-2012

Quote:
Generally, we've found that CDR is actually an annoying stat to put everywhere due to the fact that CDR caps at 40%. We have to be very careful about putting CDR on items - because while it's desirable statistics, it makes the items fight each other for space even more so.

An item that doesn't have CDR on it can basically stand on its own because it doesn't fight for space in your CDR cap.
I really appreciate the balancing headache that comes with not wanting to have too much CDR spread around for fear of wasting stats by picking up too much hitting the cap.

That said, I think it is vitally important for build diversity to ensure that each playstyle in the game has a method of realistically reaching the CDR cap without having to choose items that already waste stats.

AD ability focused champions, as well as AP mana-less champions, really need some replacement or new items added in to help them in this area.

Runes, Blue Buff, and Masteries are not the complete solution, as both require significant "pregame" thought, instead of allowing a player to adapt and choose an item build that allows for CDR cap to be reached without wasting tons of stats on either mana or crit.

I'd love to see some significant CDR specific items added in that are either more generalist and perhaps a few very specific ones. Nothing wrong with simply adding a very CDR focused item to the list with little else on it in my opinion, similar to Ionian Boots.