Statikk Discusses Preseason Jungle Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HolyChalice

11-09-2012

Can you let us know a few of the new jungle starting items stats so we can get an idea of how the new jungle will work out for instance like the stats of Hunter’s Machete. Something like what Xypherous did.

Thanks for taking the time to write all this by the way Statikk.

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

I've made a thing of giving all my junglers "superleashes" (where you make the golem dance by dashing back and forth across the midline). It's fun!

That said, I have to agree that leashing isn't a great mechanic. Total "tribal knowledge" and not very interesting. As long as you're consistent, and really do make it impossible to abuse their pathing, I'm all for removing it. Everyone ganging up on the monster feels more natural and still conveys that "teamwork" tone.

Is anything different happening with reset ranges?

What happens now if Annie hits the golem and runs away while Warwick attacks it at melee within its camp? Does it re-target Warwick when Annie escapes, or does it reset?

I really dislike the reset mechanic in general. I understand its point, but perhaps there's a better way to accomplish it? It really confuses newer players, and it's frustrating because it's hard to anticipate. "If you cross this invisible line, you screw everything up for your team." To most new players, it's even more frustrating, because they aren't aware it's about a "line" at all: it just seems like sometimes the monster regains all its health that you've worked to knock off and walks away.

Madcracka

11-09-2012

How will the AoE changes effect Maokai? considering all his abilities are AoE, (aside from W) will he clear times diminish greatly? hes easily my fav. as far as jungle...so...?

Thanks for this thread btw awesome info love it.

Statikk

Live Balance Designer

11-09-2012
8 of 48 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfHearts View Post
Does this include Dragon? That would be a huge (and welcome) change.
Yes this does affect Dragon. We had to also slightly reduce his Attack Range in tandem so that he would be able to more easily pulled out of his den by the team engaging him. Not sure of the full repercussions yet but I guess we'll find out. =)

SzYm3n

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

What about champions that have pets like elise or malzajar or like shaco with his boxes? It seems like these champions will be able to use their pets/boxes to tank all the damage in the jungle, or am i wrong?

DrHerpDerpington

11-09-2012

What about junglers designed with the current jungle in mind? I'm referring mostly to Hecarim, Kha'zix and Nautilus, as Diana/Rengar have high single target dps and strong sustain. Kha'zix is already very squishy, and while having very high single target dps his sustain is almost nonexistant, I worry that this will push him from barely viable in the jungle to not at all. You already mention Nautilus in another reply and that just leaves Hecarim.

Hecarim is my favorite character hands down, and currently suffers from the jungle in that he needs carry level gold. I play him anyway all the time because he's awesome and has pretty good aoe clear as well as strong ganks and ok sustain. So if you took the current jungle and made it give more money and xp, he' be the strongest jungler hands down, no need to play anything else. So I get that you can't do that, but with the focus going back onto single target dps, I worry that I'll be forced into buying wriggles. Currently with double or even single gp10 he's perfect, wriggles has a lot of wasted stats I don't like, he's a bruiser and most of his damage comes from his Q. I don't kow how to deal with this so I'm forced to ask, what will happen to the Doom Horse?

Shade74

11-09-2012

How will the changes affect Shaco? Will they help his late-game scaling?

HayabusaZero

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statikk View Post
You'd be surprised because Karthus does an insanely high amount of single target damage once he isolates the big monster (after the small ones die to the AoE).

He also benefits heavily from the addition of a few new jungle items that are aimed towards AP.
^^ This particular comment makes me happy! Diana can benefict from AP jungle items as currently their is nothing to help her do AP damage while jungling, and that's why you see her more in lane than anything.

All this changes sound really good. I like the idea of giving more exp on jungle while making a little more difficult, which would be more rewarding and will help a lot of lvl 6 gankers on the long run.

Can't wait for this patch!

And it was K

11-09-2012

So actually farming the jungle instead of pure ganking will be a viable strat now? No more "we r 4 and he still jangle!"?

Rueian

11-09-2012

So pretty much every jungle camp acts like baron now but they are mobile.