Item idea: Ruby Slippers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redeemed RivĂȘn

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglshGentleman View Post
HP into bonus movespeed? This pleases Singed.
Yeah first thing I thought of too, breaks singed too op.

Meserion

11-09-2012

these boots would be op, why? somebody like voilbear would be utterly broken you would never have prayer at getting away from his fling

any tank or anyone that builds any hp gets way to strong with this

FearAzrael

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meserion View Post
these boots would be op, why? somebody like voilbear would be utterly broken you would never have prayer at getting away from his fling

any tank or anyone that builds any hp gets way to strong with this
You can't really say that an item like this would be broken without talking about concrete math.
If the boots were to give the wearer, say, a 10% boost to speed based on their bonus health, that would be overpowered. But if the boots were to give .01% movement speed based on bonus health that would be under powered.

So, like with all things, balance must happen. But I feel that the core idea is a good one and on par with the power of Merc Treads.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearAzrael View Post
You can't really say that an item like this would be broken without talking about concrete math.
If the boots were to give the wearer, say, a 10% boost to speed based on their bonus health, that would be overpowered. But if the boots were to give .01% movement speed based on bonus health that would be under powered.

So, like with all things, balance must happen. But I feel that the core idea is a good one and on par with the power of Merc Treads.
Actually, yeah, it's very possible to do that.

For an item design like this, or for an AP Atma's, or for an anti-magic Thornmail effect, or a lot of other similar effects, it's possible for the effect to be broken without a concrete number. There are some item concepts and unique ability concepts that are conceptually too powerful.

This would also be one of those effects. You've got a self-stacking HP buff and then bonus MS based on your HP. This effect can only go one of two ways; either it would be balanced with higher HP champs like Mundo in mind, and thus be weak for almost everyone else, or it would be balanced based on the lower HP spectrum and be overpowered as hell on Mundo and company.

It's bad enough that, with the math I provided on the first page, I proved this item is as effective at increasing EHP by itself as is Mercury Treads and Ninja Tabi (except for the situational defense bonus Ninja Tabi gives against auto attacks), but adding an extra move speed passive on boots that scales with HP--on boots that already have a self-stacking HP buff--is definitely too much.

tralfalmadorian

11-11-2012

id love and abuse these boots...i think this means they would be too strong. Maybe if you nerfed their base move speed to 1 instead of 2 so these would set you behind early game they would be less op or gave them a really expensive combine cost (like making them be 2k gold total)

3rdStorm

11-12-2012

Its doing things that other items already do. Speed boots exist. Ninja tabi are the tank boots. and to a less extent merc treads. With boots your making a decision where to be strongest. Balance talk aside this item would only fit a small niche crowd and for that reason i think its not a good idea.

The wizard of oz name also seems silly to have in lol. slippers on a tank?

PigCheese

Recruiter

11-13-2012

I think most people are looking at this post the wrong way the idea is the concept not the numbers the numbers can be changed by riot to whatever works the best.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigCheese View Post
I think most people are looking at this post the wrong way the idea is the concept not the numbers the numbers can be changed by riot to whatever works the best.
Quite the opposite, actually. I've seen the concept, and I'm using the concept's current numbers to show how it's not balanced. This should prod the creator into designing other stat numbers that they think are more balanced, so then I can prove that those numbers wouldn't work either.

See, the point is that the concept isn't balanced. I use the math to show how the numbers suggested aren't balanced, but the point I'm trying to make is that the concept doesn't work because (in this specific case) it either ends up being much stronger than the current defense focused boots, making the older ones inviable, or it ends up being much weaker than the current defense boots, making the new ones inviable.

Seriously. Tweak the numbers around and tell me when you get to a point where it's perfectly balanced, not redundant or overpowered.

foxfire100

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearAzrael View Post
Ruby Slippers
+200 health
Unique Passive: Increases health by 5% of max health.
Unique Passive: Movement Speed increased by 1% for ever 1000 health
Unique Passive: Enhanced Movement 2

Built from Ruby Crystal and Boots of Speed.
Dem Mundo boots...

Just increasing health by a percent (and exactly what percent can be argued) I can understand. The general idea behind boots is "a little bit of one stat plus MS" - so instead of MrP, AS, or armor... the "one stat" would be health. That's cool.

But 6% more MS on a fully built Mundo? With initiator and MS support masteries you're talking about a Mundo with ~440-450 move speed.

I say drop the second passive and you're golden.

FearAzrael

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdeadman View Post
Quite the opposite, actually. I've seen the concept, and I'm using the concept's current numbers to show how it's not balanced. This should prod the creator into designing other stat numbers that they think are more balanced, so then I can prove that those numbers wouldn't work either.
Seriously. Tweak the numbers around and tell me when you get to a point where it's perfectly balanced, not redundant or overpowered.
Like I said earlier this forum should only be for concept, numbers should be tweaked by Riot so I am not going to do that.
I will, however, speak to the conceptual place of the boots. Merc treads exist for the purpose of reduce magic damage, Ninja tabi for reducing physical damage, their bonus being that they respectively reduce CC and auto attack damage.
As many, unfortunately not all, people understand when you are against a split damage team, health is your best option at survive-ability. These boots would fill the void of tanks who are wanting to mitigate split damage as well as roam/initiate.

If you have negative feedback from a conceptual standpoint I would greatly like to hear it.