Calls or Pick Order

Calls 39 19.12%
Pick Order 165 80.88%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

"Shotgun" Calls or Pick Order?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fredgerd

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitaro View Post
Op is fair and unbiased.
I never claimed to not have an opinion. But I'm open to hearing yours and others so please share it and vote.

Nobody is fair and unbiased. Not even Fox news (this may come as a shock to some).

If this is why the thread is being downvoted that's pretty dumb.

NotSid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinnox View Post
Honestly it doesn't matter. People may play whoever they want to play. The meta is not required to be followed.

If you "call" something then you can pick it -- people might not like you, but it's your choice. If you pick something without calling it, that's fine too -- people who called it might not like you, but that's too bad for them.

In essence, play what you want. Sure, people might want to be sheep and follow the meta 100% of the time, but, again, it's not required by the Summoner's Code or any other set of rules.

Though, I voted for "Pick Order" because I'm not fond of people who "call" roles and whine/complain when someone else picks the role they called.
Because having a duo mid is fun for EVERYONE!

Bland

11-08-2012

Compromise is always the best... Check out which other roles who can play so you get a team together. Consider which role/pick is easier countered. Involve others, work as a team, even in champion select.

Otherwise however, ultimately the guy who picks first does have the "power" to decide who to play. You cannot assume everyone to give that power away. Thus, it's best to assume that the guy who picks first can/will take what he wants.
Again, a compromise is best. But if there's no compromise possible, the guy who picks first picks first. There's no way around that.

NotSid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredgerd View Post
I never claimed to not have an opinion. But I'm open to hearing yours and others so please share it and vote.

Nobody is fair and unbiased. Not even Fox news (this may come as a shock to some).

No American media is unbiased.

Hitaro

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredgerd View Post

My problem is that you're influencing voters. Fox news is known for being biased, but they aren't collecting data for a survey.

People who are unsure or close to the middle may be swayed to the side you obviously think is better with this whole thing:

The "Shotgun Call" system is that when people get into champ select everyone scrambles to type in the role they want first and whoever hits enter first gets that role. This can be somewhat confusing since it often one or two players won't connect as quickly and wont have earlier calls in their chat history which can result in heated arguments over who called what first.

The Pick Order system is basically that if you are first pick you may pick whatever role you wish, second pick chooses from the remaining four roles, etc. and last pick gets whatever role no one wanted. This system is very fair mathematically since it means that you have a 1/5 chance of being anywhere in the pick order each game and if you really can't stand being whatever is left for last pick you can dodge and likely pick higher next game. The weakness of this system is that because mid and top are very popular positions they are often first picked, resulting in being counterpicked. This can be reconciled through trading however.

tempnameA461

11-08-2012

Simply autolock champions that can play every (or most) roles.

Boomslice

11-08-2012

Pick order 100%.

If I'm last pick I will tell people the roles I do not prefer, but I will support or whatever the team needs because I'm not going to EXPECT they give up their superior ELO pick-order for my selfishness.

To add to this though, sometimes it is beneficial to save a solo lane for last pick, because it guarantees you can counterpick. Do what you gotta do though, it's solo que.

Hitaro

11-08-2012

Anyways, I prefer a mixture of the two. There are pretty much 3 sections (using blue as an example:

1st pick: 1st person
2nd pick 2nd and 3rd person
3rd pick: 4th and 5th person

Someone in the 1st pick always has priority over people in 2nd and 3rd pick, and people in 2nd pick have priority over people in 3rd pick. If there exists a disagreement withing a pick (say, both 2nd and 3rd person want mid) then I go with whoever called it first, as it provides the same opportunity for the enemy team to select counters and such.

Zedophelia

11-08-2012

You cant be banned for not following the metagame, so pick whatever u want!

Fredgerd

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitaro View Post
My problem is that you're influencing voters. Fox news is known for being biased, but they aren't collecting data for a survey.

People who are unsure or close to the middle may be swayed to the side you obviously think is better with this whole thing:

The "Shotgun Call" system is that when people get into champ select everyone scrambles to type in the role they want first and whoever hits enter first gets that role. This can be somewhat confusing since it often one or two players won't connect as quickly and wont have earlier calls in their chat history which can result in heated arguments over who called what first.

The Pick Order system is basically that if you are first pick you may pick whatever role you wish, second pick chooses from the remaining four roles, etc. and last pick gets whatever role no one wanted. This system is very fair mathematically since it means that you have a 1/5 chance of being anywhere in the pick order each game and if you really can't stand being whatever is left for last pick you can dodge and likely pick higher next game. The weakness of this system is that because mid and top are very popular positions they are often first picked, resulting in being counterpicked. This can be reconciled through trading however.
I feel my explanations where pretty objective, but if you think you can describe them better feel free and I will add your version to the OP as well in a quote box.

Any poll where people can see results is biased because people tend to agree with existing majorities if they have no strong opinion, unless they are hipsters. Also, Fox and most media companies do lots of surveys.

If I was a famous forum persona, I'd be more concerned about biasing results, but since I am not Renekton Bot or Slygoat or a famous streamer, I don't think I have that much sway.