Calls or Pick Order

Calls 39 19.12%
Pick Order 165 80.88%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

"Shotgun" Calls or Pick Order?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fredgerd

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodan View Post
I believe a Rioter said that Pick Order is more correct. At least, that's what's been spread on the forums.

In any case, even if we thought calling should be honored over pick order, there's no real way to enforce it. If you call a role someone can just ignore you and take the role because they get to pick before you and then you're stuck with the choice of either sticking to what you called or messing up the comp. Even though its technically the other person's fault for not talking to you about it, he's forced you into a situation where you'll look like the bad guy if you do pick what you called.

Obviously like you said talking it out would be better, but people are just going to pick what they want. Pick order is coded into the game and let's them do so and there's not really anything we can say against it.
I somewhat agree, though technically the second guy can just pick the role as well, despite looking like the badguy, and I've seen several games where this hypothetical player's teammates supported him in this decision and reported the guy who picked first.

Who looks like the badguy really depends on who is on your team (and who is on a premade).

If anyone can find a red post on the "correct" way to decide, I'd love to see that! It would be really helpful to sorting this stuff out in matchmaking.

Jinnox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2012

Honestly it doesn't matter. People may play whoever they want to play. The meta is not required to be followed.

If you "call" something then you can pick it -- people might not like you, but it's your choice. If you pick something without calling it, that's fine too -- people who called it might not like you, but that's too bad for them.

In essence, play what you want. Sure, people might want to be sheep and follow the meta 100% of the time, but, again, it's not required by the Summoner's Code or any other set of rules.

Though, I voted for "Pick Order" because I'm not fond of people who "call" roles and whine/complain when someone else picks the role they called.

Khelin

11-08-2012

This is becoming a HUGE problem, especially in low elo solo queue. People are always "calling" their role, then people will troll cause first or second pick will be a TOP champ or something and the lowest elo will refuse to accept the fact that the higher elo has choice over his "called pick", thus making someone or everyone troll....

Fredgerd

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinnox View Post
Honestly it doesn't matter. People may play whoever they want to play. The meta is not required to be followed.

If you "call" something then you can pick it -- people might not like you, but it's your choice. If you pick something without calling it, that's fine too -- people who called it might not like you, but that's too bad for them.

In essence, play what you want. Sure, people might want to be sheep and follow the meta 100% of the time, but, again, it's not required by the Summoner's Code or any other set of rules.

Though, I voted for "Pick Order" because I'm not fond of people who "call" roles and whine/complain when someone else picks the role they called.

This is in my opinion one of the biggest misunderstandings in league. Having two solos a jungler and a duo is not the meta. Its just the best way to play. Sure you can have a roamer but roamer = support for all intensive purposes.

Sure you don't have to have an APC mid, an ADC bot and a bruiser top. You can mix that up in all sorts of ways. And you can also run duo top solo bot under some circumstances.

But all of this only works if your team is on board. So you really can't just pick whatever you want, and if you do, it's ban-worthy under lack of communication.

50West

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinnox View Post

What does this have to do with the meta? Picking a champ and role is picking a champ and role, regardless of how you want to slice it.

Fredgerd

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelin View Post
This is becoming a HUGE problem, especially in low elo solo queue. People are always "calling" their role, then people will troll cause first or second pick will be a TOP champ or something and the lowest elo will refuse to accept the fact that the higher elo has choice over his "called pick", thus making someone or everyone troll....
Ya it's very problematic in normals as well. I wish there were something clear about this in an official Red Post or in the Summoner's Code (there's a possible allusion to it in the support your team bit).

Also if there were a clear stance it'd be great to have a way to report people from champ select.

Khelin

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredgerd View Post
Ya it's very problematic in normals as well. I wish there were something clear about this in an official Red Post or in the Summoner's Code (there's a possible allusion to it in the support your team bit).

Also if there were a clear stance it'd be great to have a way to report people from champ select.
Would be nice for it to say something like "First picks have priority over champs selected, not those who call their lane" or something to that effect below ur summoner spells but above the chat. you know? Then a report button "meta trolling" lol, only in ranked tho

Boats

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2012

What I do is let people play the roles they want because normally that will be the role they're good at. Then I'll just fill in the blank. But there should really be a queuing system that allows you to queue up for the role you wish to play and once every role is found, a game would be created and the role you chose would be marked above your head at champ select. I really think that would be the best way to solve the issue.

Hitaro

11-08-2012

Op is fair and unbiased.

Swiftfantom

11-08-2012

When it comes to matchmaking ranked, I have been thinking for awhile that it should be you choose your role before the game even starts, then it matches you with other players around your ELO that have chosen different roles to fill a team with no fighting in the chat.. no trolls because everyone gets the role they wanted to play..(Since most people feel they are best at one role compared to the others) I know this may increase the time between games due to having to find people that want to play support and jungle.. But i think it would be a nice system to implement into the PBE and see if it works out.. I just feel that it would fix quite a bit of heart aches when you join a game and have to read MID OR FEED.. Just my thought on the picking system.