The Crossroads - Chapter One: Be afraid of the Dark.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Luparis

11-07-2012

The doors to the manor open, Aguma holds one open, a minotaur the other. He ushers them in lazily to a room far larged than expected, opening with a long violet carpet to a pair of stairwells with onyx hand rails, numerous paintings, crests and old war banners of ancient family crests on the walls.

The floor of the manor was decorated well with black and white checker tiles, beautifully crafted sculptures, indoor plants growing from small gardens in the middle of the floor. All well lit by half a dozen golden chandelliers.

To the right of the stairwells, upon entering - were a crowd of obvious mercenaries. Clean cut, well dressed, armed, and fierce by all appearance. But everything about them would give one the feeling of "cut-throat". There were 6 of them total, 3 men, 2 woman and one who was too covered be identified. That one stood apart, arms crossed, staring from the faceless mask at the new arrivals.

"Darkeye Manor, home of Lord Magnus. If anything is required, it will be provided by one of the staff. For now, acquaint yourselves as needed." Aguma told them, mustering up as much hospitality as he could. "I will fetch the lord. It may be a short wait."

muggtonp

11-08-2012

Sensing a particularly indignant presence lying beneath him, Cruciatus ((whose profile definitely has a physical description as of perhaps five minutes ago)) rolled to the right as quickly as he could, removing himself from the unfortunate yordle. He placed his hand behind his neck and rubbed it awkwardly.

"I, uh,- ahem," he begins. "My sincerest apologies to y-"

He cuts off, seeing that the yordle is still raging into the ground, apparently unaware that the weight has been removed from her body. For lack of a better idea, he pokes her spastic form.

"Do you perhaps, um, need help getting up?"

ElMelloi

11-08-2012

(( Thanks. I rewrote my post a bit, because.... ))

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggtonp View Post
He cuts off, seeing that the yordle is still raging into the ground, apparently unaware that the weight has been removed from her body. For lack of a better idea, he pokes her spastic form.
The reality of the matter is that her tirade ended the very instant the man began to move off of her, but she was still fuming. The fact that the man poked her did not seem to register with Elysia, but she answered his question by standing up slowly and brushing off whatever dust or dirt may have gotten on her bright sagyusam, perhaps a little too bright compared to the rest of the Shadow Isles.

She looks at the man with a glare, and although she may no longer be raging on the ground, her complaints aren't finished yet. She speaks, not in the devoid-of-sense tirade from earlier, but in a more leveled tone and a more appropriate volume now that her voice isn't incredibly muffled like before?

"The kind of unawareness that one would have to trip over something with an appearance that stands out as much as mine... I just... how can anybody be that stupid when they're this far from Valoran? Granted, I know as much as anybody else on Valoran does about the Shadow Isles, but the amount of carelessness you've shown just now is something that will get you killed here. Why don't you turn off your sight like that again in this wretched land and see what happens to you?!"

Something about the man made Elysia assume he was new here. Not even madmen have ever tripped over Elysia, but... admittedly, this still isn't a first for poor, just-barely-a-meter-tall Elysia, but more like a second. Still, Elysia begins to show serious concern for this person... although it's only because she thinks he's stupid and will probably get himself killed in this strange land. Watching someone die for their idiocy is something Elysia has seen many times, but is there any fate worse for whoever this guy knows than for him to sail to the Shadow Isles and never be heard from again... just because he's the kind of fool who would trip over a yordle that clearly stands out from the rest of the scenery?!

A hushed "Damn!" spontaneously emerged from her. "The name's Elysia," she gives this surly introduction herself with a scowl. "I don't really care who you are, because you're the first person in years to make me that mad, but if you're here for Darkeye's request, make sure to trade out those orbs of jelly in your head for a pair of eyes, okay?"

Arms crossed, the Flame-Head's hair looks as if it will truly become fire unless Cruciatus is able to somehow make up for his mistake. Whatever Cruciatus might say next, she will only reply with a "Hmph!" and turn her indignant little head away from him.

Luparis

11-08-2012

One of the woman mercenaries laughed at the show put on by Flame-Head and Cruciatus. She smirked at the yordle, stifling some comments but visibly reddening from her self restraint. This one, tall, slender, wore mismatched, green and brown leather armor with a black jacket, and fingerless gloves. her hair tied back in a blond pony tail, hanging over her left shoulder.

Her comrade was less controlled and shouted over at them, "Don't go mocking people, little yordle! Get your nose out of the ground, come to yer senses, eh? Telling him he's a fool for trippin, when you come out to the darkest planet on Runeterra like a brightly colored target, for these beasties! Bugger off, I say! Leave the work to us professionals." This man, rugged, tall, slightly more built with long brown hair, an unkept beard, black leather armor, steel pauldrons and leg guards, and a bow slung over his shoulder.

They all laughed at Flame-Head and Cruciatus. "Let's hope we don't gotta work with these sods, eh? Hahaha."

ElMelloi

11-08-2012

The moment she was being mocked by the hired hands of the manor, the tiny Flame-Head's expression and general mood transformed immediately. Not only did somebody trip over her, but apparently these mercenaries don't seem to understand that even if the help that came from Valoran is small, sometimes silly, and only prone to anger when directly wronged, there's a reason why even the tiniest of yordles would dare think to brave the Shadow Isles.

Besides shooting the mercenary an "are you serious?" look, her only response to the mockery was a simple word that reverberated with arcane power. Any living creature in the area that uses the sense of sight will see the area around Flame-Head begin to distort, as if someone threw water onto an oil painting. At first it seems only her skin changed color, but then even her clothes began to morph into something else - what was at first a bright green sagyusam quickly began to change into something black, until eventually she was wearing leather armor with steel pauldrons and leg guards. Her cloak seemed to morph itself into a bow, which remained over her shoulder. As she begins to grow in size, she takes on the appearance of a tall, rugged man with brown hair, an unkept beard, and a fairly built body.

Apparently, she also sounds like a certain rugged mercenary, too, as Elysia decides to stand her ground against the mockery. She was in the company of warriors, so why not fight back if their only weapons are words? They (probably) don't have any license to attack someone just for making fun of them, and even if they did, Elysia was certain she had insurance in case such a thing actually did happen.

"Don't go mockin' people, ignorant whelp! Get yer head out yer behind, come to yer senses, eh? Callin' people out just 'cause they look like somethin' stupid, when ye don't know a damned thing about who or what ye're really lookin' at! Bugger off, I say! Go back ta trainin' with overcompensatin' weapons! I'm sure one day yer sword will be as large as the ones ye were taught ta swing!"

This might seem like a parlor trick, but the entire transformation into his exact likeness took all of 0.4 seconds and she got his voice down precisely... she may have exaggerated his speech patterns, though. It's also worth noting that the type of spell she's using is actually warping the properties of light and sound into something else, rather than simply tricking living minds like she usually does. Undead creatures still cannot be fooled by something as stupid as this, as Elysia knows that they usually only care about the actual presence of flesh and blood, but "those beasties" and surly humans who talk like they know who they're talking to will be seeing these illusions whether they're fooled or not. Only illusions of light and sound work this way, though. Any other senses would require mind-affecting enchantments, which can be resisted and/or ignored by those who know how.

After having the illusion extend a rude hand gesture towards the mercenary talking out of his proverbial hat, she dispels it... mostly. In order to keep her point forever into the head of anybody else who would judge by her appearance, the yordle keeps the (fake) leather armor and the beard, but the bright flames people call her head stays perched atop her cranium.

Because the mercenary annoyed her that much, she casts another spell while continuing to maintain the one that's on her. The light around the man who opened his mouth so quickly would begin to distort as he would seem to take on the appearance of a decidedly unattractive, unreputable-looking woman for about four seconds.

"How's that fer dressin' like a professional? But the question is: a professional what?" taunted Elysia, still using the man's voice to add a touch of irony to the situation. Maybe Karthus would not approve too much of Elysia's reaction to everything so far, so she decides to return to etiquette more befitting an Ionian as she turns toward the man who tripped over her.

"I'd like to apologize for over-reacting. Things like this do tend to happen at the worst of times, as we all know," came a sincere tone, free of the illusion magic from earlier. "May I ask who you are?" The bearded Flame-Head asked. Maybe it would be good to go back to square one with this guy. It was an accident, after all....

leirynot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2012

Takuma watched with minor annoyance at the antics of the others, then walked away from the crowd and leaned on a wall, keeping to himself. He didn't care for the others much, he just wanted to meet Darkeye and learn the specifics of his request, as well as the potential risks and rewards. He looked at the mercenaries, analyzing them. Sure they seemed cutthroat, but were they actually skilled? That was the question. If a fight broke out, the one with the bow would probably be the biggest threat to him. People don't tend to know how to handle someone with a whip, and tend to drastically underestimate the weapon.

muggtonp

11-08-2012

Cruciatus watches the yordle with a sheepish grin.

"To be honest, ma'am, where I come from we don't have people of your, ehm-" He cuts himself off before he can say 'height.' "Species. Yes."

He shrugs and looks around, taking in his surroundings.

"My name is Cruciatus, and I-"

As the mercenaries begin to laugh, Cruciatus's jovial expression is wiped away. If the assembled crowd had been able to see his entire face, they would have noticed his flint-gray eyes turn into a rich red. His left hand flexes as he gathers mana, getting ready to sweep these arrogant fools away.

Before he can take the next step, however, Elysia begins her magical display. Amused, Cruciatus lets go of the energy he had gathered. In spite of his bemusement, however, his anger is still palpable and emanates from him in waves. He takes a breath to calm himself, hoping he will not be provoked further. If he is, he may just lose control and leave several corpses scattered about the ground.

Necromonger

11-09-2012

Lizzie's attention was on her surroundings when the yordle and Crux tripped over the other, and only noticed them once the mercenaries were talking. She felt the two could help themselves, that being too outwardly helpful too soon would mark her as naive. She simply observed them, how they'd react to one another, with an inscrutable glint in her eye.

Then the mercenaries mocked the two for their fumble. And from Elysia's retort and Crux's facial expression she could tell they were a bit thin-skinned.

"Let 'em go. Trivial playground teasing is not worth the energy." She could only tell them, her calm, collected warrior ethos preferring to be level headed about being in a foreign, hostile land. She eyed the mercenaries and crossed her arms in indifference- ironically, Lizzie was quite the trouble maker herself in her teen years. Martial training had tempered her to be thick skinned, in more ways than one.

"So... have any of you met this fellow with dark ocular organs?" She asked, diverting the topic.

muggtonp

11-09-2012

"Dark ocul- what?' replies Cruciatus, his features relaxing as he does. "Oh. Darkeye. Ha."

He turns to face the warrior.

"I have not. I'm..." he hesistates. "Not from around here. Have you?"

Necromonger

11-09-2012

Now she was not sure if Crux was speaking to her or not. Regardless, Elizabeth found small talk calming on the nerves.

Lizzie was wearing the very distinctive, very red with silver decor armor of the Ionian Guard. She carried a katana, as well as a folded baton and a folded razor-rang on her belt- which had space for many more items. "I know it's hard to believe, but I am from Ionia. I am almost proud to say I used to be of the Guard. And no, I have only heard of, but not met Darkeye. If his eyes are dark, does it mean he's blind, er, visually impared?" Lizzie was also trained in the art of political correctness.