My Friends, I Have a Dream

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I destroy noobs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-07-2012

I have a dream that one day there will no need for the Tribunal anymore.

I have a dream that one day players as individuals will learn to respect each other, to care for each other.

I have a dream that one day we will live in a fair world.

Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream that one day we would live in a color-blind, non-racist society... This didn't happen.

In History, many people had dreams...

The truth is... None of them ever happened.

And unfortunately, none of them will ever happen either. Why?

Because humans are selfish by nature, and therefore only bound to serve their own interests through their interactions with others.

Since my ultimate goal is to serve myself, I, as an indivual, can only see others of my kind as competition. As we, humans, are in constant competition with each other, we come to realize but one thing: that we want the same thing, and that if we could, or if we had to, we would fight to death against each other because of that This is what I called the cycle of hatred. It's the process by which humans inherently, unconsciously hate each other.

Now, however, the averagely distributed individual comes to understand very early in his short life that, alone, he is nothing. Because of this, he sees an incentive to create social bounds with other humans around him. Those social bounds are commonly referred to as "lovers", "friends", "acquaintances", etc. As humans realize that their lifetime will not be enough to earn them anything in this endless competition, they start relying on what many people like to call "namesake" instead. Then, lovers become the most important social bound because they are the one that is the most likely to allow them to assure the indirect continuation of their existence.

Now what is the difference between your friend that you're playing with and who is feeding the enemy team, and this player that you don't know and who is also feeding the enemy team? Well, you have a social bound with one, and not with the other. What does this mean? That you are more likely to be rude to the one that you don't have a social bound with. It's as simple as that. This is what whether people insult others or not comes down to.

However, if you feel someone isn't serving your own interests anymore, or if you feel like the negative impact they have on your chances of success in life outweighs the extent to which they serve these interests, then you will get rid of them. A common example of that is dirvorce. In League of Legends, it can be stopping playing with those people or only playing with them when you don't care as much about the outcome of the game, removing them from your friendlists, etc..

So this is why all of these dreams that I as well as other had, have and will have will never ever come true no matter what happens. This is why Marxism only succeeded on the papers. This is why most non-lucrative organizations don't ever have the positive impact that they wish they could have on the world.

This is also why the Tribunal is a lie, as while it DOES succeed at removing certain people from the game, it never meets its goal of "changing people's behaviors for the better". The Tribunal doesn't make people better, it only teaches how to fear better. And if you don't believe me, ask Pendragon, who said more than one time that only 5% of the people who got permabanned have actually changed their behavior.

This is why "respect" like Riot as well as so many people in our world like to see it will never exist, and never existed either. There is no such real thing as "respect".

Now you can downvote me all you want, all of this is true. I dare you to try and counter my arguments.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Verandriel

Senior Member

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustofoblivion View Post
In History, many people had dreams...

The truth is... None of them ever happened.
I had a dream where I ate a cookie.














I ate a cookie.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kelly Price

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

11-07-2012

When I dream, I had magical powers every single time.

When I wake up, I don't have magical powers.

You speak the truth.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I destroy noobs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-07-2012

Bump....


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I destroy noobs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-07-2012

Bump...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I destroy noobs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-07-2012

Too intellectual for GD, I guess.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aisha nyan nyan

Senior Member

11-07-2012

For lines #1~2. This dream has a very low chance of ever happening because there are too many different types of personalities and personalities that are Ok to one person differ from another. So the loss of the tribunal is likely to not happen. What is more likely to happen is a similar system put in place but instead of us voting it would just ban people based on multiple different factors.

#3 For us to live in a fair world in which we don't direct our strengths and abuse anothers weakness would have to have us working together for a common goal. This by itself would be hard considering the differences in personalities, right and wrong, and the likes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustofoblivion View Post
Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream that one day we would live in a color-blind, non-racist society... This didn't happen.

In History, many people had dreams...

The truth is... None of them ever happened.


And unfortunately, none of them will ever happen either. Why?

Because humans are selfish by nature, and therefore only bound to serve their own interests through their interactions with others.

Since my ultimate goal is to serve myself, I, as an indivual, can only see others of my kind as competition. As we, humans, are in constant competition with each other, we come to realize but one thing: that we want the same thing, and that if we could, or if we had to, we would fight to death against each other because of that This is what I called the cycle of hatred. It's the process by which humans inherently, unconsciously hate each other.

Now, however, the averagely distributed individual comes to understand very early in his short life that, alone, he is nothing. Because of this, he sees an incentive to create social bounds with other humans around him. Those social bounds are commonly referred to as "lovers", "friends", "acquaintances", etc. As humans realize that their lifetime will not be enough to earn them anything in this endless competition, they start relying on what many people like to call "namesake" instead. Then, lovers become the most important social bound because they are the one that is the most likely to allow them to assure the indirect continuation of their existence.

Now what is the difference between your friend that you're playing with and who is feeding the enemy team, and this player that you don't know and who is also feeding the enemy team? Well, you have a social bound with one, and not with the other. What does this mean? That you are more likely to be rude to the one that you don't have a social bound with. It's as simple as that. This is what whether people insult others or not comes down to.

However, if you feel someone isn't serving your own interests anymore, or if you feel like the negative impact they have on your chances of success in life outweighs the extent to which they serve these interests, then you will get rid of them. A common example of that is dirvorce. In League of Legends, it can be stopping playing with those people or only playing with them when you don't care as much about the outcome of the game, removing them from your friendlists, etc..

So this is why all of these dreams that I as well as other had, have and will have will never ever come true no matter what happens. This is why Marxism only succeeded on the papers. This is why most non-lucrative organizations don't ever have the positive impact that they wish they could have on the world.

This is also why the Tribunal is a lie, as while it DOES succeed at removing certain people from the game, it never meets its goal of "changing people's behaviors for the better". The Tribunal doesn't make people better, it only teaches how to fear better. And if you don't believe me, ask Pendragon, who said more than one time that only 5% of the people who got permabanned have actually changed their behavior.

This is why "respect" like Riot as well as so many people in our world like to see it will never exist, and never existed either. There is no such real thing as "respect".
Many dreams are bound to fail and this is true. But sadly for you others peoples dreams do come true. I was born as a child who barely had an immune system and also had asthma. While growing my immune system had reinforced itself and also i had outgrown my asthma. Can you guess what my 1 dream was? Of course to become healthy since my chances of survival weren't that high when i was born.

Do us a favor and watch this. This **** still goes on today and it all started from 1 person. http://vimeo.com/39922360
So i don't know about you but you focused down your story on failures on achievements (People landed on the moon that was many peoples dreams). Also respect is something earned through deeds and achievements. No real substance in achieving something in a game don't you think? Unless of course you win a big tournament then you have some good substance.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PB4UAME

Senior Member

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustofoblivion View Post
Snip...
Would you happen to follow the philosophy of Objectivism?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jpue dla yeule

Member

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB4UAME View Post
Would you happen to follow the philosophy of Objectivism?
hum? no? did you even read what he wrote? that bs ain't objective at all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objectivity_(philosophy)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PB4UAME

Senior Member

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpue dla yeule View Post
hum? no? did you even read what he wrote? that bs ain't objective at all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objectivity_(philosophy)
... That is objectivity in philosophy.
Not the philosophy of Objectivism. -_-

You want to look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objectivism_%28Ayn_Rand%29