Preseason Itemization Preview

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yook

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Well - Yeah. But then you run up into a 3k HP Mundo/Singed with 80~ armor and massive regeneration and you're like 'Wait a second, you didn't build any armor! ABORT. ABORT. I REGRET EVERYTHING.'
So now its just a matter of building only damage until the enemy stacks armor, instead of anticipating the armor stack and building LW or something preemptively. I could see how this would fare better for casters

EarthruneSkarner

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girnt View Post
So, Miss Fortune's ult can now apply AOE armor reduction? That might be really good... I'll try it when it comes out!
So can Irelia, except Irelia's cooldowns are shorter. :P

Lord GiantR

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

Soooo how will Kha Zix be after this.

He has his W for AOE shread and his leap. He looks like he might actually be able to kill stuff.

Xyph can you give us a little bit more info... Something like Haunting will it be getting other build paths as well ?

Lukiner

11-07-2012

Quote:

2. Brutalizer builds into more than one thing

Quote:
The Black Cleaver
  • +45 Attack Damage
  • +10% Cooldown Reduction
  • +10 Armor Penetration
  • Passive: Dealing physical damage to an enemy reduces their Armor by 5% for 6 seconds. This effect stacks up to 5 times on the same target.
Let’s dig down into this item a little more. First off, the Black Cleaver now triggers off all physical damage. This means that spells and abilities can trigger the passive. In fact, let’s look at a couple of our AD casters and see how this item works differently on them:
soooooooo you pointed Brutalizer / The Black Cleaver on Panth... but it will be viable on Talon? or you plan to add more specific/aimed items for AD assassins/casters for champs similar to Talon so they can shine in more serious games

ploki122

11-07-2012

Quote:
Garen, the Might of Demacia

Decisive Strike: Will trigger Black Cleaver once, on a single target.
Courage: Will not trigger Black Cleaver, as it does no damage.
Judgment: Will trigger Black Cleaver up to 6 times, in a circle around him, as it does physical damage 6 times.
Demacian Justice: Will not trigger Black Cleaver, as it does magical damage.

-Xypherous
Dat Garen buff... it's like having a perma -25% armor aura...

FMI

11-07-2012

Xypherous, I am concerned that the nerf to flat armor and MR at the beginning of the game will result in skill being too much of a modifier for the early game.
A lot of games use skill caps that allow worse players to overcome better ones in certain circumstances - I'm talking something like 5% of the times. An example is MTG's land flooding or screwing, or the randomization in items in Mario Kart.

Now, I'm not saying that skill shouldn't be what ultimately decides a game, because it certainly should, but maybe armor and MR level the playing field for less skilled players to gain a reasonable footing against more adept ones.
In the long run, skill will overcome and the better players will take the game for sure. But giving less skilled players a fighting chance, in something as moderate as armor and MR, doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

EXTRA THING ON ANOTHER TOPIC:
- Use for Cloth Armor for AP junglers plox.
- Glacial Shroud building into something other than an Aura item plox.

Yook

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthruneSkarner View Post
I can't recall if it does damage all at once or in instances, in either case, it does proc items 2/3x, and that's all that matters.
This item is nothing like any item you have ever seen. Other items like wits end are on hit effects. This item is an on damage effect, so its completely different and you dont seem to understand my quandary lol

Xypherous

Systems Designer

11-07-2012
8 of 29 Riot Posts

Quote:
Will these new items affect armor pen quints/red runes????

It seems like since you adjust how you calculate flat armor pen vs % armor pen you'd also want to nerf flat armor pen runes to compensate.
Yes, we'll be doing a pass on all flat / % penetration sources to get them in line with the new formulae.

Currently, max ar pen is too binary in lane, while Last Whisper is *far* too strong because of how it anti-synergizes with flat armor penetration.

The values aren't too far off - in the ballpark of ~ 5% or 5 points for adjustments. Basically, if you only had one source of penetration, you'll see your penetration values go down as a whole because those were overtuned to be independent systems rather than interactive ones.

Quote:
Xypherous, I am concerned that the nerf to flat armor and MR at the beginning of the game will result in skill being too much of a modifier for the early game.
A lot of games use skill caps that allow worse players to overcome better ones in certain circumstances - I'm talking something like 5% of the times. An example is MTG's land flooding or screwing, or the randomization in items in Mario Kart.

Now, I'm not saying that skill shouldn't be what ultimately decides a game, because it certainly should, but maybe armor and MR level the playing field for less skilled players to gain a reasonable footing against more adept ones.
In the long run, skill will overcome and the better players will take the game for sure. But giving less skilled players a fighting chance, in something as moderate as armor and MR, doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
A little confused on this. We're going to hit flat armor / mr penetration values early game - because right now if you don't do flat armor and magic resistances early - you essentially have zero armor or magic resistance by 6 minutes into the game.

Narcomancer

11-07-2012

Booyah!

Bowieneko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krunxor View Post
It also does damage all at once( or maybe thats just how it is displyed) and the black cleaver shreds based on number of instances of physical damage. I know how on hit works, this new shred on ad dmg is strange and I'm not sure how it would work. After seeing xypherous say that graves 3 shot buckshot adds 3 stacks, I could see renektons W adding 2-3 stacks as well, becuase grave's q deals its damage at once in the same way
It's only one number because the damage happens really fast. Look at Lulu's passive, and it'll give you one or two numbers based on when the bolts hit. You're still hitting multiple times.