All those threads talking about role-queuing.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeathBringer9191

11-05-2012

imo, bad idea. This would mean one can't try something different than the meta.

KnightxSScarlett

11-05-2012

Riot, please implement this role queue so that I may queue as bruiser top and pick Sona.

Srsly. Don't believe it? Check lolking.net. I probably won't play any games for the rest of the night.

DeathBringer9191

11-05-2012

Viable, dumped on a garen as sona top last week...but got banned

KnightxSScarlett

11-05-2012

The point is, just because you want someone to play a certain way just because "it works" doesn't mean that they should. I chose the champ. I play it how I want to. Not how you want me to.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkyMan13871 View Post
How the **** did people come up with this terrible idea?
WoW LFD.

Wolvenlight

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
Which is pretty much the main counterpoint to all of this.

Any sort of role-queuing, no matter how lenient people dream it up to be, is going to lock certain compositions in, because the system is choosing people who preferred certain roles and pairing them with people who preferred other roles. I mean, if the system isn't doing this and setting compositions up, then what's the point of it?

But if it is, we're getting stuck with a team comp, and the way ranked games are played won't change until Riot has decided on a different meta.
Role queuing: The lose/lose of gaming!

Now, because of the bruiser Sona posts, I'm just imagining a system where people pick by lane preference and not by role preference. I'm not even suggesting it, I just wonder how that would make games turn out.

Top: Fiora
Mid: Talon
Jungle: Yi
Bot: Graves and Caitlyn

Other team: Dead from laughter.

Then again, I play ARAMs a lot, and I've won with a worse comp.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-07-2012

Even if queuing by lane preference was somehow okay, how do I queue up if I want to play ADC/support top lane? How do I queue up if I want to run double jungle?

Nevermind the fact that it still leads to bad team comps, it still locks some sort of meta and doesn't allow players the option to solobot, duojungle, duomid, duotop, or trio, quadra, or penta anything.

Shinigami Kay

11-07-2012

So yeah lol there is a game out there that has this Role select type in it lol. It's called World of Warcraft and you have to select what role you are giong to be before enetering any instant (i.e. Dungeon or Raid) lol. I actually agree to this idea though. It keeps players, kinda, more honest about their intentions and also would, kinda, keep players from trolling. I means i's not that hard to role for, say, mid but still pick a none, meta, mid champion. See there is far too many things to be discussed here on the symantics of the matter, however I still agree with the idea about "Role Selecting"

Last thing to just put out there though about this. Like in WoW you will have longer wait periods for players that really choose the meta such as ADC. Alot of playres play ADC more than any other role so lots of ppl will role for this. I guess you could say that it might just MIGHT force ppl to learn other roles so they can be queued faster. I have had this experience in WoW role as a DPS instead of Heals or Tank.

Last but not least I am not trying to hijack this thread and or debate WoW Vs. LoL. I was only referencing WoW to give example of how I have seen this type of thing to go down. Thank you and Long live this thread.

Shinigami Kay d=(^.^)z

Wolvenlight

11-08-2012

Quote:
Even if queuing by lane preference was somehow okay, how do I queue up if I want to play ADC/support top lane? How do I queue up if I want to run double jungle?

Nevermind the fact that it still leads to bad team comps, it still locks some sort of meta and doesn't allow players the option to solobot, duojungle, duomid, duotop, or trio, quadra, or penta anything.
Well, you could do all that by just not using it. It would be optional, after all.

Or grab 4 friends and have a blast, experiment, and surprise the enemy with your creativity.

Meta changes don't really happen in solo queue. They are merely copied over from High ELO/quint-queue/pro games. For those rare instances meta would change because of a solo queuing bad ass, there is always not checking a single thing, or checking everything, and getting paired with similar jack-of-alls. Or duo queuing. An optional system could never stifle creativity unless it becomes a mandatory system. Not to mention if you go by lane preference, you can play whatever champion you choose in that lane, it's just expected of you to play a certain one. That's really the same way it is right now already.

For those who want to switch things up, they'd do it the same ways they do now. Queue with friends, not use the system (Since it doesn't exist at the moment we know how that will go,) or for solo queue, wait until champ select to be all strategic with the teammates (Which also happens now.)

Bad team comps happen regardless. Unless you mean something different by bad team comp than I do.

But again, I'm playing one part of this debate while being on the other side of it, so my ideas don't really have the luxury of being backed up by conviction. And I already see two problems with it:

1) Any changes in meta won't be taken into consideration by a role/lane-queuing system until later in time. For combating this, there is not using it or queuing with friends, but that's really it until Riot changes algorithms.

2) It splits up the queues. I don't really know how big of a problem that would be, considering they're already split when it comes to map types and that doesn't affect queue time or anything, but worst case scenario you're looking at doubling the wait time in Summoners Rift queues.

Jushiiro

11-08-2012

Quote:
You queue with friends who are actually open to non-meta gameplay instead of pissing off people in solo queue who are afraid of anything different.

Personally I would love this system because I am tired of every game being
MID
JUNGLE
...ok I'm stuck support well that's fine.

Fifth locks in as a second mid because either they weren't reading chat, or they're too selfish to work with their team.

then the trolling and *****ing begins