Barrier destroys gameplay, here's why.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Division Two

11-06-2012

Barrier is OK on Murderbridge because you can't go back to the base and heal. If barrier is on SR, theres no use in taking ignite anymore so bot lane is just gonna be more of a farm fest unless the other bot lane has a clear advantage over the other.

I thought Riot wanted more action, but if Barrier is being put on SR and ignite is being nerfed when whats going to happen to bot lane???

Tozaki Hashizawa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Let me give an example. Shen Ulting a adc with Barrier, with a Mid Lux,Lulu,Janna,Karma, a Support Lux,Lulu,Janna,Karma, with a jungle Lee Sin.......

jokod

11-06-2012

Idea:
The ignite effect half the Barrier.

ComanderMolander

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Pro tips you can replace the word barrier with flash and the thread will still make perfect sense

Adult Male

11-06-2012

I hate barrier and I don't want it to be in SR. It really does promote passive gameplay. I wish it was removed from PG as well.

Morello

Lead Designer

11-06-2012
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox P McCloud View Post
I mean no offense, Morello, but how can S3 make burst mages way better (as you've said it does) with certain changes and have barrier in existence too? There's no way to counter barrier, it's just a free "X" number of extra health for quite some time---this seems to contradict your first statement of "no hard counters" a bit.

Also, on that note, why are hard counters undesirable? Doesn't this just lead to mediocrity and staleness, since generally everyone can lane against generally everyone?
No, I prefer soft counters. Hard counters remove options with a choice; soft counters add additional decision points to a choice.

If it lasts for a very short time, and takes awesome timing to save yourself...seems like a pretty good skill to me

It's hard with missing information to craft a complete picture. I'll assure you of this: we're not putting the shield that "just gives you health" with no gameplay on SR. There's more here to look at than "I don't like Barrier on ARAM, therefore it has to suck on SR". And since this is super-loose, if it does cause issues it's easy to remove.

Unknown Menace

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
No, I prefer soft counters. Hard counters remove options with a choice; soft counters add additional decision points to a choice.

If it lasts for a very short time, and takes awesome timing to save yourself...seems like a pretty good skill to me

It's hard with missing information to craft a complete picture. I'll assure you of this: we're not putting the shield that "just gives you health" with no gameplay on SR. There's more here to look at than "I don't like Barrier on ARAM, therefore it has to suck on SR". And since this is super-loose, if it does cause issues it's easy to remove.
This is all fine and dandy morello..but I don't suppose you can hint at the items you have in place to help Melee Carries rather than just AD casters ( Dont get me wrong..it'd be nice to have itemization options for them..but Melee carries should be viable too..they're a fun class, a really fun concept in getting into the thick of a fight and taking out a carry and being able to go up against a tank head on..rather than from far away). Also, any more hints on items or balance concerning burst mages? (Annie's the main one i can think of here..the staple burst mage..how do you plan on fixing the staple burst mage? :O )

Edit: I remember you responded to me in a post some few weeks ago about how Melee carries are a harder class to look into fixing..but how would the new items, in theory, help melee carries reach the back line without dying instantly? Also..build tanky on a character that doesnt have tanky stats...forcing the bruiser build onto a melee carry, as we both know, just doesn't cut it..because you shouldnt FEEL like you're playing a bruiser, you should be able to feel the trade off of being less tanky, but being a substantially larger threat (possibly the largest threat in the game in terms of continuous dps and damage), but if you can never do any of it, what's the point? I'm not sure how you'll go about fixing this, but i'd like your input~

Snightx

11-06-2012

hmmm Darius with a Barrier? Guess now he has become even more OP... what else is new....? What about a Mundo with a Barrier.... or a Kat? OMG!!! GG T.T

Sojs

11-06-2012

I don't know why people are saying it will destroy game play without even trying it. Those people who say it can only be used defensively are wrong imagine all the crazy dives that will happen. I think it will be very strong on junglers especially for securing early kills and contesting dragons/barons

IOSYS Remilia

11-06-2012

All barrier all mid is more like it