thornmail, and why is really sucks

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Snoop Nome

Game Designer

11-06-2012
3 of 4 Riot Posts

Frozen Heart and Randuin's don't hurt your opponent. And both of those aren't shining examples of good item design either.

GurthC

11-06-2012

I use thornmail to passively counter the adc's passive lifesteal

Fresh Snow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Thornmail is directly countered by having above average lifesteal. Meaning, if someone on your team has a zeke's and you have a BT that is stacked, you get more life back than you take in thornmail damage. Meanwhile, Frozen Heart and Randuins kill your attack speed completely, and make it incredibly hard for your peelers to help you at all on the subject of getting away. Thornmail is a garbage item and it misled people into bad item purchases at low elo. Thank you for removing it.

Zerglinator

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
Frozen Heart and Randuin's don't hurt your opponent. And both of those aren't shining examples of good item design either.
For some reason, I feel like this will be reflected in the S3 itemization changes...

Poush

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Thornmail's damage are magic. So just build Malmortius or wits end maybe? I dont see why we should remove something that forces ADC to deviate from their usual BF item+PD build.

Fox P McCloud

11-06-2012

Quote:
I hope you're referring to just 3v3.

Removal of both of these or changing them would likely make ADCs impossible to deal with for bruisers and/or tanks.

Krosan

11-06-2012

AD itemization and physical damage is a bit insane right now, though. Thornmail doesn't do much to stop it, you're right, but...
I don't know, what about a Thornmail that, instead of current effect, does healing reduction or some such?

Noxian Shroud of Thorns;
+armor, inflicts Grievous Wounds on attacker when struck for 1.5 seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox P McCloud View Post
I hope you're referring to just 3v3.

Removal of both of these or changing them would likely make ADCs impossible to deal with for bruisers and/or tanks.
ADC itemization is probably getting adjusted too, you know. I suspect that a lot of the current issues with top lane and bruisers stems from armor itemization being ridiculous, which stems from AD itemization being equally ridiculous.

NotBuzzJack

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poush View Post
Thornmail's damage are magic. So just build Malmortius or wits end maybe? I dont see why we should remove something that forces ADC to deviate from their usual BF item+PD build.
Because you need more than just magic resist to counter it. And Maw is NOT cheap, it's 3.3k.

TOP10 ELO

11-06-2012

Quote:
tell me when there is anything on LOL that is a good design, the new items you will bring on season 3 will be a copy from DOTA for sure

DemiluniS

11-06-2012

Quote:
1. It scales with your opponent's strength, not your own
veigar's ult? why isn't it reworked than?