[Featured Discussion] Flat health heal on hit item. why not?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ProfDrDeath

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moist Typewriter View Post
This makes sense. Look no further than Shen who has this HoT mechanic (does he still?), and who feels like he has much less sustain than he actually does.

Still, though, it is a decent solution for giving sustain to tanks, for example. Ideally, it would be an endgame item that only appeals to pure tanks and not just tanky bruisers.

However, we have Force of Nature for pretty much just that.
Them green numbers over you once you have completed your FoN...

Xypherous

Systems Designer

11-06-2012
5 of 8 Riot Posts

Hm. This probably isn't a good time to mention that I removed FoN and scattered its various passives and pieces to the wind onto other items.

On the plus side though, Tanks now get to build Warmog's and not feel silly.

Although you'll still be able to build every piece of FoN used to offer. It just won't be rolled up into the particular stat combination. This counts against my spoiler count for the day. :P

exelsis xax

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Hm. This probably isn't a good time to mention that I removed FoN and scattered its various passives and pieces to the wind onto other items.

Although you'll still be able to build every piece of FoN used to offer. It just won't be rolled up into the particular stat combination. This counts against my spoiler count for the day. :P
HOLY JESUS. I love you.

But in an unrelated question, is mordekaiser going to be playable in S3?

axesandspears

11-06-2012

Quote:

Interesting, although Force of Nature was a very good tank item.

Was the magic resistance/healing too much, was it the speed, or was the item lack-luster. Sorry, I just like to know the reasoning behind changes.

Xypherous

Systems Designer

11-06-2012
6 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
But in an unrelated question, is mordekaiser going to be playable in S3?
Quite honestly, I have no idea. There's a lot of moving parts here on changes.

Quote:
Was the magic resistance/healing too much, was it the speed, or was the item lack-luster. Sorry, I just like to know the reasoning behind changes.
Force of Nature served three purposes, one of which we couldn't make good.

1. High end MR item on one item.

We're not sure that a single rushed item should counter mages so heavily. So buying FoN for raw magic resistance was always going to be somewhat of a trap because we could never make it *good* to have this much MR on a single item without it simply being cost-inefficient so it could be slot-efficient.

There are ways to make an item cost-inefficient for selfish MR while still making it cost-efficient as a whole for MR though...

2. Regeneration/Siege

This we liked, but the fact that it was tied to a movement speed item and a magic resist item was a little weird. It didn't quite seem to click, so tanks that had to itemize regeneration kind of picked up a bunch of stats randomly.

Also, the tri-fecta of Warmogs / Spirit Visage / FoN was actually incredibly hard to get a good sense of balance. Mostly because it turns "on" super-late but mostly because they build on each other a little too much. While we like the build of 'I am unstoppable brick wall of regeneration' - we think that right now it's both really hard to get *and* overpowered when finished and we'd really like to see it be a more viable build that's more in line when it does happen so people feel like they aren't taking long-gambits but more of a choice on how to itemize.

3. Movement Speed

The whole paradigm of X class gets a MS item Y is actually starting to show where the faults are. In order to specialize for movement speed, you have to build into a very specific item - which naturally creates this weird power gap where a class that is perfectly catered by item Y gets MS while every other class pays a gold tax of unwanted stats to get the same mobility. This naturally leads to people wanting more MS/X items for a specific class - which seems to suggest that maybe what people actually want is more ubiquitous movement options that don't consume slots rather than a continuous stream of one-off items with MS% randomly on it.

For example, Lich Bane is the AP item with movement speed on it. That kind of screws every AP caster who doesn't want Lich Bane or can't use it well. This leads to this weird case where randomly, some class of characters get faster just because they can use Lich Bane well. While it's nice to have a few items like this - it's probably a sign as a whole that people want to be able to somehow spend more gold to get mobility rather than they want catered items that have MS on the item.

ProfDrDeath

11-06-2012

Quote:

Nop, not a good time. Although bad news NEVER have a good time.

Interesting decision. Makes me even more excited for the weeks to come...

EDIT: Btw, Xypherous, will you be here for a Q&A session once the new items are out? Preferably starting one or two days after their arrival...

Moist Typewriter

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Quote:

That sounds like an improvement. Instead of needing everything else to make FoN a good buy (and now you're at least an hour in), you're getting the bits you want incrementally while building other things you want. I'll be happy about the change.

guptee

11-06-2012

I liked FON but it was a niche item. So wont comment much on it until I see the new items/stats
I am not sure how FON doesnt make sense and they keep bloodrazer, non merc treads tenacity items and nashor's tooth/tiamts in the inventory. Those items should also get the same treatment for the sake of consistency

Duriel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Quote:

mundo has a sad

fon was literally my favorite mr item, especially on singed/cho'gath

V´ejo

11-06-2012

Xypherous what is your opinion on creating champion-specific items (like Rengar's Bonetooth Necklace) for older champions?