Preseason: State of the Game

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ecclesian

11-05-2012

I am constantly surprised and happy for Riot's commitment to creating an excellent gaming experience. LoL is my fav game of all time.

Morello

Lead Designer

11-05-2012
5 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelion View Post
58 champions were picked and banned during the World Playoffs and Finals.

Am I the only one to believe this is a major dissappointment within the championship, that half of the champions were actually used. I hope Riot does not see this as something to be proud of. I do love the game, but there are balancing issues which have taken far too long to be rectified, for example heimerdinger, Karma and Sejuani, all of which are universally recognised to be severely underpowered.
There's a few we need to fix (like the ones you mention), but 58 aren't all the good champs, they're the ones that were used. I think the game is pretty well-balanced, with a few people who are really poor overall. It doesn't mean we're done with it (actually we never can be/will be/want to be), but I think the statistics for a single tournament are pretty good.

I don't like the "well since I can name some poor champions, the game is poorly balanced" thing because it's like saying "humanity is going extinct because sometimes people die from diseases." Lee mid was viable in worlds, for example, just wasn't used till MLG. There's more being discovered all the time.

KevinDelMarr

11-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelion View Post
58 champions were picked and banned during the World Playoffs and Finals.

Am I the only one to believe this is a major dissappointment within the championship, that half of the champions were actually used. I hope Riot does not see this as something to be proud of. I do love the game, but there are balancing issues which have taken far too long to be rectified, for example heimerdinger, Karma and Sejuani, all of which are universally recognised to be severely underpowered.
Professional players only pick the strongest, safest and sometimes brokenly powerful Champions. Alex Ich described it perfectly when talking about why he picked AP Zilean mid. Take that how you will. Yes certain Champions need love, and we know some of them are as we speak.

Also remember that Tournament players have a select pool of Champions they can play well, and in the process leave some of the weaker, less desirable ones out. We also can't be ignorant of the fact Tournament play is around team comps, with set-ups around select Champions. Sadly Riot must put some Champions on priority over others, either do to resource constraints or the fact some simply lack the proper itemization. Hopefully Item, mastery, and Jungle changes will have a lasting effect on the balance of all Champions, and not just the "top" 50 or 60 percent

Morello

Lead Designer

11-05-2012
6 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDelMarr View Post
Professional players only pick the strongest, safest and usually broken Champions. Alex Ich described it perfectly when talking about why he picked AP Zilean mid. Take that how you will. Yes certain Champions need love, and we know some of them are as we speak.

Also remember that Tournament players have a select pool of Champions they can play well, and in the process leave the weaker, less desirable ones out. Sadly Riot must put some Champions on priority over others, either do to resource constraints or the fact some simply lack the proper itemization. Hopefully Item, mastery, and Jungle changes will have a lasting effect on the balance of all Champions, and not just the top 50 or 60 percent
Well said

Vax the Fennec

11-05-2012

What, no info and champion skin trading?

I wanna know if its a possibility or not, dangit

And Heimerdinger is by all means not underpowered <_< I hate midding against him and his darned sentries....

The Fr0zen 0ne

11-05-2012

Just gotta say, love the new TT map! way better than the old one and perfect as it is

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2012

Does this mean we might be getting specific stats on mastery, rune, jungle and item changes?

Also, the only champion I have a complaint on balance wise is Nasus---the fact that Nasus players enjoy an OP aspect of him (infinite scaling) and he's held back because of this should NOT hold back 99% of the community from enjoying him or using him in high-Elo or competitive games---he's literally worthless at high Elo as he only semi-counters one champion in the entire game (Yorick)---this isn't health for the champion and it isn't healthy for the playerbase at large (-1 champion to pick).

Fellentier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Well said
Hello Morello :3

Just wondering how excited you are to release all the juicy details. :O

MatRu Go

Recruiter

11-05-2012

@Morello I and probably many, many other people here are asking when exactly the pre-season patch will happen and when the elo will get reset, exactly when on Nov 6?

Dizzy Phantom

Recruiter

11-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatRu Go View Post
@Morello I and probably many, many other people here are asking when exactly the pre-season patch will happen and when the elo will get reset, exactly when on Nov 6?
yeah ppl wana know !