I'm RiotGypsy. AMAA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spitsonpuppies

10-12-2012

Hey. Is that Karma rework EVER going to happen? I remember it was news like 6 months ago that it was making progress.

Talbat

10-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsonpuppies View Post
Hey. Is that Karma rework EVER going to happen? I remember it was news like 6 months ago that it was making progress.
It was announced well over a year ago actually. First mention I heard of it was in June or July of 2011 I think.

Wyl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord
I guess what I was getting at is I don't think the core idea behind the mantra system is her problem. It's instead the thing that makes her unique and interesting. It's not about "evolving" it's about "empowering."

I'm not on live so this is just speculation, but one way to solve may just be to make mantra's feel more "ultimate" in nature. Maybe make her base abilities more satisfying on their own and then give her big moments where she gets to use a SUPER SPELL.

Don't get me wrong, your good and evil ideas are cool, I'm just cautious about departing too far from the source material.
As for mantras, "empowering" is still off of the thematic.

The idea for a more "ultimate feeling" could be a possibility, although that would probably mean putting way more elements on her spells.

I feel like the best way to know if that one rework displeases those who play Karma because they love her design is simply to ask them. I for one play Karma on a regular basis (AP) and while i like some parts of her design, it wasn't enough to justify not creating such a rework. Karma has seen ~9000 games played in the last month being the least popular champion at the moment.

Is there a way you could forward this to Guinsoo, or a way I can show my ideas to him ? He's the one doing the main rework of Karma and since he's the most concerned about her at the moment I would love to have his impressions.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my inquiries though.

Sincerely.

KarlWayneJenkins

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2012

How much do you like Trundle? (better be a lot) Is it more than you like that toxic little mouse?

ashxu

10-13-2012

Would a shield that blocks projectiles in a line work in LoL or is that too complicated to implement?

What I mean is something like Anivia's wall except it blocks projectiles. A deployable shield.

Raynesong

10-13-2012

Is There another Ranged Hybrid DPS in the pipes at all?
I know its not the most popular role, but its really lacking right now. There is really only Kayle and Teemo. Could really use someone new in that department.

BlackMystic

10-28-2012

Still pretty sure Nid is black with pharaoh nid and the bones and spear

gypsylord

Champion Designer

11-05-2012
39 of 65 Riot Posts

44:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yfrappefort View Post
Hey Gypsy! Can you look at my rework again? Version 2. Tought a lot about it. Thanks .

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...5#post28176615

Edit : Also, how do you feel about Teemo dying 324% more then last year?
Teemo deaths are appalling. I don't understand how our community can be so cruel.

This is greatly improved from your original concept. Quick point of feedback:
E - Cool, but what if you're never around bush (mid lane or in base). Then you have one ability that doesn't do anything. Feels bad. Wrengar's passive is the same way. Classick solved this letting him leap out of ult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uracle View Post
Here's something I'm always wondering. How does the design process go when it comes to champs? Does it start with Lore, Concept Art and then gameplay mechanics or is it random?
Depends on the champ. Draven started as a personality. The champ I'm working on started as an amazing piece of concept art. Some champs have started as a bunch of gameplay mechanics. If we find something cool we try to get it into the game, whatever the form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummin View Post
do you enjoy the show supernatural? Perhaps all the things they discover can become ideas for skills/champions in the future! Did you watch poke'mon as a child too?

Do you think riot needs people who do very well with customer service? Or someone to be the voice from riot to the people on the forums so they can generally be informed or have someone who's ment to be there to put out fires of severs going down, op/up champs threads, ideas. Because alot of people dont think they are heard. I guess this is a long question, sorry. :/
Never seen supernatural

Pokemon first season was amazing. James is one of the best characters in any cartoon ever.

I'm not sure. I know we used to have the Riot Ambassador program. We try to answer relevant threads but there's a ton of people and only a few of us. Plus, I can't go answer server questions, stuff like that further narrows the number of reds able to answer a given topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme jd View Post
Nice to see a fellow JDHS graduate works at Riot! I graduated in 2008 as well. Anyway, I just started playing League last week. Which champion do you recommend for learning the fundamentals of support?
Start with Soraka then move to Taric.

Both have simple kits that are easy to play.

Soraka will help you learn how to properly babysit a carry. Ward lane, keep him health, call objectives and maintain map awareness.

Taric will teach you how to go agro on your opponents. Stun + shatter combo when you and your carry are in position for epic wins. Bonus points if you can call in Nocturne airstrikes from the jungle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not5id View Post
Furthermore, what's a typical day of champion designing? Do you do the number crunching? The mathy stuff? Or do you just work on mechanics like "this guy's gonna have a dash!" and let other people sort out the number part of it, or is all that done by you (for the champion you're working on)?
I get up in the morning and do a playtest with all the new champs we're working on in it. Sometimes I play my champ, sometimes I play champs that other designers are working on. After the playtest I collect and give feedback on the new champs. Then it's lunch time! This usually involves food trucks and gaming. After lunch I iterate on my champ taking into account the feedback I got in the earlier playtest. Also fix bugs, think about balance, and give feedback to artists about stuff like her particles and animations. Then its another playtest and more iterating. Day ends around 8-9 (I will often work later). Usually stay at the office till 10-11 playing games.

In terms of what I do, my job is to make sure everything about my champ is awesome. I primarily do this by making her fun to play through solid mechanics. This is part numbers and part "this guys gonna have a dash."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyReborn View Post
i feel like i was skipped in the process of you answering so imma post again even though its not even remotely relevant.

are you or will you be my big brother?
Certainly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomach God View Post
A question for you good Sir, Does one know anything on the plans for Karma? when she might be reworked/buffed? (would prefer the later tbh)
All I can say is that we're still working on it. She hasn't been forgotten but there's no ETA that I can give you.

Grellmax

11-05-2012

Hi RiotGypsy
I look forward to your contributions to what is an awesome game.

If you'd be so kind, please check out this champion I did a concept for for IronStylus, who hasn't seen it yet it seems

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...2#post30882492

I'll be adding another one shortly - hope you can check them out

Cheers!

RIP Bankplank

11-05-2012

why do none of the reds ever post on the champion feedback forum?

i've been writing a weekly essay for two months now and i've never seen a single red post in any thread on that forum

my most recent one is probably my weakest but i'd still love to see that something i made was at least looked at