what position should our best player be in?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cupricpower

11-03-2012

Hi, I am relatively new to League and I have 4 other friends that are new as well. We play 5 mans frequently and usually lose hahha... Several of us are much better in skill compared to others. My question is, is there a certain position are best players should play and another position our worst players should be in?

Thanks for all answers

Magus Crow

11-03-2012

Each role has some specific strengths and weaknesses to it but overall I'd say your two best players should be in the jungle and mid lane since they can then attempt to help out a lane that may be in trouble.

As for your worst player I'd say its entirely dependant on their skill set. If they can farm decently and follow an initiation I'd put them at ADC, if not I'd try to find a passive support champ for them and get them to focus on map awareness and warding while trying to sustain the ADC as best as they can.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-03-2012

Don't put your worst player as support.

Your best players should be jungle and AP mid. These two roles can have the largest impact on the game. Moreover, it gives one of your two best players a very high damage potential in mid lane, and the other can pick someone tanky enough to serve as an initiator in the jungle.

Your worst players in terms of simply game experience should be your solotop and ADC. These two players don't need to leave lane much during laning phase and can mostly just focus on farming and avoiding being ganked.

Support is the position where you need to put someone who maybe lacks mechanical skills (farming ability or something), but someone who is very good at map awareness and strategies. Personally, when I play support (which is one of my favorite positions, and maybe my strongest position), I make it my job to keep wards up, and call out timers. When dragon has been killed, I type in chat when he respawns (takes 6 mins). Same for Baron (7 mins). Same for if we steal their jungle buffs (5 mins).

Additionally, if the enemy places wards, I call when and where so we know when they have vision of a bush and when that vision has expired.

Invisibleally

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupricpower View Post
My question is, is there a certain position are best players should play and another position our worst players should be in?
Negative.

It's best to identify which champions and positions each of your teammates is most comfortable with and talk with them about which player will cover each position. If none of you enjoy Jungle, you can strategize around this. In this instance, if you have no jungler you'll want to watch your jungle with wards more often so that your team can gank their jungler if they extend into your jungle...or you could zone more aggressively in the lane you have the 2-against-1 advantage in....or smash their jungler early game by stealing their first buff...Whatever you can think of to turn the negative into a positive.

Just because the masses blindly follow 'the meta', that doesn't mean you have to. Force the enemy team to play on your terms, go all mid :P

Meshly

11-03-2012

Just let em play the role they want to play instead of forcing a role every game, boasts morale.

Crazy Crann

11-03-2012

Your mid should definitely be the strongest player on your team in that position. But you can't make a square peg fit a round hole, either; sometimes the person everyone on the team sees as the "best" player is, in fact, only the best when playing ADC or Support.

It's all relative. Best advice is to have everyone experimenting with champions until they find one that fits their style. And then you expand your kit by looking at other, similar champions, and developing skills with them, as well. You don't want to pigeonhole anybody on your team into a role they don't enjoy; if they don't like what they're doing, chances are, they won't do it well.

Meshly

11-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Crann View Post
Your mid should definitely be the strongest player on your team in that position. But you can't make a square peg fit a round hole, either; sometimes the person everyone on the team sees as the "best" player is, in fact, only the best when playing ADC or Support.

It's all relative. Best advice is to have everyone experimenting with champions until they find one that fits their style. And then you expand your kit by looking at other, similar champions, and developing skills with them, as well. You don't want to pigeonhole anybody on your team into a role they don't enjoy; if they don't like what they're doing, chances are, they won't do it well.
Sums it up.

cupricpower

11-04-2012

Okay thanks guys for all the input!

rekkless

11-04-2012

dont forget the importance of personality and preference. if people get pushed into roles they dont enjoy they may unederperform, likewise if they stick with the role they like most they could learn and do better. personally i play jungle 90+% of the time not because i view myself as more skilled but its what i enjoy and when i started playing jungle almost exclusively i started doing far better both in ranked and normal

Lethadind

11-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus Crow View Post
Each role has some specific strengths and weaknesses to it but overall I'd say your two best players should be in the jungle and mid lane since they can then attempt to help out a lane that may be in trouble.

As for your worst player I'd say its entirely dependant on their skill set. If they can farm decently and follow an initiation I'd put them at ADC, if not I'd try to find a passive support champ for them and get them to focus on map awareness and warding while trying to sustain the ADC as best as they can.
I want to attempt to squash this rumor. The whole "AP Mid and Jungle have the biggest impact on the game" is situational. Any role can have a huge impact on the game, it all depends where the weak link is.

If it were me I'd stick your best players at ADC and either jungle or mid. Your third best as support, and then the last two as top and jungle/mid.

You need presence in all three stages of the game. Jungle/Mid have the strongest early game presence and can help snowball the team. Support/top/sometimes mid have the strongest mid-game presence as warding and downing priority targets becomes huge during the roaming phase, so does sustain. ADC and your tank have the most late-game presence in the game. By setting up all three phases of the game you should have better success.

As evidence, when I duo queue with people that I trust, one of us will take ADC and the other will take one of the lanes/jungle. When this happens we win about 70% of the time or more, but when we take top/mid or mid/jungle or jungle/top or a lane and support we end up winning 50-55% of the time instead. Food for thought.

EDIT: My advice is assuming a vast difference in skill. If you are all about the same but two of you are slightly better, then you should all just play your comfortable roles. But assuming that two players on your team can play ANY role better than the rest of you can, then this is the plan I would follow personally.