@Nome mage itemization discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

urmamasllama

11-02-2012

i wanted to have a place where we could talk about some mage item issues.

i have a few i want to start with but would love to hear anyone elses opinions

Rod of Ages. it is a critical item on many champs for dom however, because of its build up it is less than optimal and i feel holds back a lot of mages.
my request personally is to make a replacement that scales on level.

frozen heart. to be honest this is basically the item that keeps mages viable in dom however it also holds mages back at the same time because they have to sacrifice a lot of damage to build it.
basically we need an item that give armor cdr and AP possibly built from glacial and a blasting wand or a codex and a chain vest. the only thing i would say about this is that since this requires items that involve mana it would mean manaless mages are being excluded which hurts especially since dfg no longer gives CDR

you are already kind of addressing some of the other mage issues with the new cap however i feel that making Z ring with armor might not be the best path although i have yet to test it so... and i like that you are already covering the MS issue. since new cap covers armor i would request that the new MS item also give CDR

edit: the stat distribution of the new items and changed items was different from what I expected but I must admit, Nome you did a fantastic job of covering the spread and I commend you sir. I am sad to see the on hit vision go from sweeper but it makes sense because that passive was super strong. especially on champs like maokai and teemo.

edit 2 so i got to play on the pbe today and found that i basically called it the mage FH is frozen fist which is basically exactly what i was describing
the only thing i feel is missing now is a dominion replacement for Rod of Ages

HaIfhearted

11-02-2012

Hmm, I have to admit a RoA that doesn't have a build-up would be quite nice on some things.
Would make me feel better getting it, especially as a 2nd/3rd item, since RoA rush is usually sub-optimal.

I don't necessarily agree with you on FH. You can just spend 1500 gold on Glacial and get almost the full offensive benefit (CDR), and when you need more armor just spend another 1250 gold to turn it into FH.
I don't believe that we need an armor/cdr/ap item in the slightest. That is too many different stats rolled into one item. You are trying to create a must-buy item for every mage in all situations. Not cool.

Manaless mages who want CDR can get Ionians/Sweeper, although I guess there is an open niche for that CDR option, but I personally believe it should be kept as a purely offensive option.

If you want defense, FH/Randuins/Thornmail and the new Witchcap do the job just fine.

urmamasllama

11-02-2012

you're right that about the whole FH replacement but i also feel that we are kind of forced into buying FH. its almost too good but at the same time the game would be a lot less balanced w/o it

Risemix

11-02-2012

Sucks that mages seem so staunchly balanced around having a SR tower to run to. They aren't unviable on dominion but being forced to build as AP tanks or bruisers is really annoying.

There need to be cheaper damage-oriented items on this map, seriously. Haunting guise isn't enough.

Nome or Die

Game Designer

11-02-2012
1 of 5 Riot Posts

Let's talk again after next patch

Glumduk

11-02-2012

Oh, you.

urmamasllama

11-02-2012

deal

HaIfhearted

11-02-2012

http://www.reignofgaming.net/news/22...-for-11-3-2012

Sweeper with movespeed and 50 AP?!
Nome, you are making me extremely happy ^_^

Edit: wait, other unique passive where?
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Henry Plainview

11-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
Let's talk again after next patch
Are the S3 changes coming next patch!?

Also, could you possibly explain how the new Blackfire Torch functions? I don't quite understand it from the text description.

Nome or Die

Game Designer

11-02-2012
2 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Plainview View Post
Are the S3 changes coming next patch!?

Also, could you possibly explain how the new Blackfire Torch functions? I don't quite understand it from the text description.
No, S3 isn't coming yet.
Basically, as it is in PBE right now, it works on a charge system.
The item gains a charge every second.
One charge is depleted per buff, per champion, per second.
For 5 seconds after a charge is depleted, BFT cannot gain any charges.

What does this mean?
If I am Soraka, and cast Starfall and hit 2 dudes. I will expend 6 charges (2 champs x 3 seconds). After 5 seconds, I will begin to gain charges again.