For the Sake of Sanity

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Benihime69

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

10-31-2012

Ive been playing this game for a long time now, i have spent a lot of money to help support this game, and the only, ONLY, complaint i have is...

Can i please have a button to silence pings?

I love the music, i love the sound effects, i love the character voices... but every time you start to relax and feel like your in the game and in the zone.... PING PING PING PING PING

You think to yourself... i dont wanna put this player on ignor, because maybe he will say something useful later, or you want to keep open contact for teamwork discussion.
So you ask politely, "hey, could you please keep the pings to a minimum, or not spam?" and their immediate response to that is... PING PING PING PING PING PING PING PING

I am a normal adult, i am alert, and have clear vision with my own eyes. Anything you can see, i can see as well. If i want more vision, i will place wards. If there is a severe enough emergency, i can see the glowing dot on the minimap of where the ping is going on. But i cant turn down the noise of the ping, without ruining my ability to hear other kool sound effects. And i cant get into the mood of the game setting, get tense or relaxed depending on the situation, with the annoying ping ping ping ping ping ping...

All i ask is for the tiniest of buttons. Just "Silence Ping" i am begging you, for the same of my sanity. Please

I will pay Riot Points for it if i have to, just name your price


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheBziur

Member

10-31-2012

if you ignore someone his pings should not bother you any more.
Also If you want to play well, you have to pay attention to them. People ping to draw your attention, because even if you have great experience you can sometimes miss something. It's just easier this way.
Unless it's pure spaming


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Benihime69

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

10-31-2012

im mostly talking about the pure spamming.

I dont like to ignor people, because i still want to be able to communicate with them. I just want the pings silenced. You can still clearly sing the ping alerts on the minimap, even if they are silenced, so they are just as effective. But it should be my choice whether or not i want them to be loud and annoying.

Not to mention, in the past month, i have come across more then a dozen players who rage in the game, and if a surrender vote fails, will ping every single second, continuously until the team agrees to surrender. If you do the pings slow enough, u can do it non stop. it can get really annoying.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

infinite azure

Senior Member

10-31-2012

http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/ga...e-second.xhtml

Your mileage may vary and I haven't tried it myself, but you can go and mod your sound files to change your ping sound to something you don't dislike as much.

Honestly the point of pings are to get your attention, so it being a jarring sound is sort of the point. It seems like you're not having a problem with someone spamming it so much as the sound itself, so I recommend modding your sound files.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

boourns

UI Designer

11-01-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benihime69 View Post
im mostly talking about the pure spamming.

I dont like to ignor people, because i still want to be able to communicate with them. I just want the pings silenced. You can still clearly sing the ping alerts on the minimap, even if they are silenced, so they are just as effective. But it should be my choice whether or not i want them to be loud and annoying.

Not to mention, in the past month, i have come across more then a dozen players who rage in the game, and if a surrender vote fails, will ping every single second, continuously until the team agrees to surrender. If you do the pings slow enough, u can do it non stop. it can get really annoying.
Ask them to stop spamming pings and if they don't, report them to the tribunal. We're unlikely to allow silencing of pings since that is a pretty important part of notifying you of their presence! As you say, we do have ping throttling in place and we don't want to make it so restrictive that if inhibits legitimate communication. I don't think individual ping silencing over complete muting of a player is something you need often enough to justify the complexity of adding it to the UI or the confusion it could cause.

Allowing ping silencing also only fixes the problem for you, personally. That person will still go on to other games and harass other players with their poor behavior. I highly encourage you to report people for abusing the ping system so that the community can let them know we don't find their behavior acceptable. Of course, as always, please use good common sense in reporting folks.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheFlyingSpoon

Senior Member

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Ask them to stop spamming pings and if they don't, report them to the tribunal. We're unlikely to allow silencing of pings since that is a pretty important part of notifying you of their presence! As you say, we do have ping throttling in place and we don't want to make it so restrictive that if inhibits legitimate communication. I don't think individual ping silencing over complete muting of a player is something you need often enough to justify the complexity of adding it to the UI or the confusion it could cause.

Allowing ping silencing also only fixes the problem for you, personally. That person will still go on to other games and harass other players with their poor behavior. I highly encourage you to report people for abusing the ping system so that the community can let them know we don't find their behavior acceptable. Of course, as always, please use good common sense in reporting folks.

What if there's a rare player that only...

hmm I just answered my own question but I'll follow through with it lol.


What if there's a rare player that only spam pings as harassment? The tribunal can't see ping spamming in reviews.

Answer: Then his or her case will have multiple games with a bunch of random players complaining about his or her ping spamming. That alone will show that the reports are valid.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Amariithynar

Senior Member

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Ask them to stop spamming pings and if they don't, report them to the tribunal. We're unlikely to allow silencing of pings since that is a pretty important part of notifying you of their presence! As you say, we do have ping throttling in place and we don't want to make it so restrictive that if inhibits legitimate communication. I don't think individual ping silencing over complete muting of a player is something you need often enough to justify the complexity of adding it to the UI or the confusion it could cause.

Allowing ping silencing also only fixes the problem for you, personally. That person will still go on to other games and harass other players with their poor behavior. I highly encourage you to report people for abusing the ping system so that the community can let them know we don't find their behavior acceptable. Of course, as always, please use good common sense in reporting folks.
While I completely agree with needing to report if they pingspam, having a seperate option to silence an individual's ping sounds instead of that person entirely so that communication can still happen would be a major step forward in the right direction. Yes, people need to be aware of pings, and use them to work together, but even a disruptive individual can be brought into a team effort and turn a game around- which isn't possible if they are completely muted and cannot participate in team strategy conversations. If you don't want a silence button specifically for them, at the very least please seperate them from the rest of the sound effects in the audio options so they can be turned down from the rest of the volume options.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yohan Leafheart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Ask them to stop spamming pings and if they don't, report them to the tribunal. We're unlikely to allow silencing of pings since that is a pretty important part of notifying you of their presence! As you say, we do have ping throttling in place and we don't want to make it so restrictive that if inhibits legitimate communication. I don't think individual ping silencing over complete muting of a player is something you need often enough to justify the complexity of adding it to the UI or the confusion it could cause.

Allowing ping silencing also only fixes the problem for you, personally. That person will still go on to other games and harass other players with their poor behavior. I highly encourage you to report people for abusing the ping system so that the community can let them know we don't find their behavior acceptable. Of course, as always, please use good common sense in reporting folks.

But on the other hand, can we get the inverse? Mute them but still let the pings go through? One problem I have is that sometimes people are harrasing me and I do not want them on the chat, but the pings are useful, so if I mute them the team loses since I won't have their possible help with ganks.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

infinite azure

Senior Member

11-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohan Leafheart View Post
But on the other hand, can we get the inverse? Mute them but still let the pings go through? One problem I have is that sometimes people are harrasing me and I do not want them on the chat, but the pings are useful, so if I mute them the team loses since I won't have their possible help with ganks.
The inverse is how it works now right?