My League of Legends Story

First Riot Post
12345 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RoketScience

10-30-2012

Okay, so this post is mostly just going to be me telling my overall LoL story, and about my problems that I have had with the game, or have seen in the game, in the past few months. So, I started playing league of legends randomly just because some friend recommended it, and I figured I would try it out. Within my first couple games (bot matches, mind you) I realized not only the variation (and more often then not incorrectness) of the difficulty level required to play champions. Some champions who have their difficulty all the way up are extremely easy to play, and some champions who's difficulty is low require more skill and knowledge of the game to play. Naturally, I continued playing, running into people who are better and worse then me, a completely normal game experience.

Then I hit about level 10, and I started playing normal games. This was, shocking, to say the least. I consider myself to be pretty good at video games in general, and this was terrifying. I just kept getting slaughtered, and forced to learn the ACTUAL mechanics of the game the hard way. This gave me a want to get better at the game, so I could start winning matches, it was a challenge. That was when I realized that the game depends less on strategy/thinking/logic in general, and more purely on champion selection, and exploiting the unbalance of champions in the game. Even at low levels (15-20ish) I realized that champions like Blitzcrank, Darius, Katarina, and Many, MANY others are game changers. By that I mean just having those champions on your team can change the course of the game irrationally just because of the champions.

This next part sort of describes my "Golden Years" of League of Legends: I bought Blitzcrank. I had owned champions before, but no champion was nearly as useful as he was in almost any situation. He can be tanky, he can be an AMAZING support, his abilities can completely change a team fight. To be honest, the only reason I liked him was his grab. It was (and still is, after the nerf) extremely over powered. No other champion in the game has a grab like that (except people like Darius and Diana, who have shorter range grabs). It is a long range grab, that has no repercussions (excluding mana cost, which really isn't that much). Other champions who have a similar move, like Amumu and Nautilus, actually pull the person TOWARD the person they are trying to grab, which makes it no where near as powerful as blitz's. Needless to say, I won match, after match, after match, after match, after match, after match, (like, 20 or 30 normal games in a row?) just because I was Blitzcrank.

Skipping forward a little bit to where I am now (just hit level 29), I got tired of Blitzcrank. Compared to other champions I play (Olaf, Gangplank, Ziggs, Wukong) he is no where near as fun, but infinitely better regardless. Eventually, I went back down to losing and winning randomly, depending on various things. So I decided to try draft pick one day, just because I was bored and wanted something new. That is when I began to actually realize how broken this game is (champion wise, and map wise). In every draft pick game (with randoms, not joining with anyone else) there are 6 champions, and one of them will always be banned. Those champions are Blitzcrank, Tryndamere, Darius, Katarina, Garen, and Amumu. Some other champions who are VERY commonly banned are Shen, Malphite, and Rengar. This was the first sign that those were the champions that not only I thought were broken, but apparently a large part of the population thinks they are too.

This comes down to where I am now, tonight, typing this post instead of doing homework. I love this game. I have a great time playing it, by myself, with friends, no matter what I almost always have a good time. However, it often comes down to me saying "Well, do I want to play a champion I enjoy this match, and probably lose, or pick one of the broken champions, and have a huge chance of winning?" I hate that question, but it comes up all the time. Recently, I have decided to only play champions that I absolutely love playing just because they are fun, they aren't necessarily the best, but I love playing them. That has lost me lots of matches, I am at 10 in a row right now, just because I refuse to play a champion that is good that I don't enjoy. I enjoy some champions so much, that it hurts when I lose just because I am that champion, it makes me not want to even play the game anymore, because in order to have the fun of winning, you have to exploit the weaknesses of the game itself. I don't want to type out all of the problems I have with various champions, I just want to make it aware to the people who are actually making the game, that the people that play it have to make the choice of "Well, do I want to play a champion I enjoy this match, and probably lose, or pick one of the broken champions, and have a huge chance of winning?" and I don't think that is right. There are paragraphs more I could write on this, and my opinion of the game, champions, mechanics, etc, but I pretty much covered how I got to where I am now.

Basically, a list of my problems within the game are:

• How overpowered certain champions are
  • How the camera angles in Summoners right can ruin a game
  • The lack of punishment for people refusing to play on correct servers
  • Being matched with players who are extremely more experienced
  • Poor Scaling of turret and minion damage throughout the game
  • Games becoming one sided within the first 5 minutes

I am just looking for some other people's opinions/feedback on what I have to say, I would happily go more in depth into what I described if anyone wants me to. Thank you for reading this REALLY REALLY long post, and I would appreciate actual feedback.

Riot Romulus

Manager, Social Media Team

Follow Romulus on Twitter

10-30-2012
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Hey Apollo,

Saw this post via twitter and I thought I'd give you a bit of a bump. You obviously put a pretty big chunk of time into this and I appreciate that you're remaining constructive despite your frustrations with some of the perceived issues here. I hope you don't mind, I'm going to move the post to GD since its not entirely focused on feedback surrounding champions and you'll get more responses to the type of holistic (or general lololol) discussion you've included in your post.

I'm not a designer and I definitely don't work on the live balance team but I will say that we have tons of Rioters working on ensuring that the game remains as balanced as possible with every new patch. I'll leave this here in case one of them, or some other players, would like to weigh in on some of the points you've brought up.

Again though, thanks for the post, looking forward to what other players have to say. (even if it was a little bit of a tldr) <3

-Rom

HÉROINÉ ADDICT

10-30-2012

League is harder to grasp for "newer players" because In LoL you need to know the 1v1 matchups, the 2v2 matchups all the way to 5v5 matchups... a lot of knowledge required to be semi-competent in League. Though Having a large variety of champions whose skills can be combined in different ways makes the evaluation aspect difficult.

Majority of the bans that go out are not because they are "broken", but instead for the sole fact that the majority are game changers. Every champion has a weakness, you have to learn or read up on ways to exploit those weaknesses.

As for the camera angles, I PERSONALLY like them in League, I'm sure that opinions on that will vary.

Idk I'll let someone else finish.

Icebender

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-30-2012

+1 When I first started playing, there was basically no meta... I remember the AD carry goes mid though sometimes during my mid-LoL time (MF dominated mid to whoever can use her double up correctly and caitlyn too).. and everything was sort random... I went anivia top sometimes and well.. those were the truly fun games. I remember I could just play teemo all I want! But now, where does teemo even fit in this meta? He's nowhere within the range of any champs to dominate any lane! I can honestly say that there were more diversity of champions back then than there is now even though there's probably 5x more amount of champions. Why? Because of this new meta. How a range of champs dominate their lanes and you're just pretty much stuck to choose within that range or else you'll basically lose. It sucks, and it's dry and boring because it gets pretty old pretty fast. Hence why I had an ARAM period in my LoL life cause I was just bored of the meta. Just my thoughts on this.

Flarey

10-30-2012

Good guy Riot ~!

The main point I agree with is that a lot of the champions I personally fine fun aren't too "viable" up against a lot of the current strong champions. I would like to play something I love and be rewarded for playing good with it on even terms. For example I love jungling master yi, but he's not too good unless he's really big, so I'll just pick a champion like skarner to jungle instead if I want to win a match.

cheddar fetter

10-30-2012

Bump.

mambawarrior

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-30-2012

Read entire post.
I personally agree with parts, but I do best with champions who aren't OP (at least, to my knowledge), but are fun (I don't lose as Lux mid, Skarner/Jax jungle (OK, Jax is pretty good), or Olaf top. Ever.) Also, could you elaborate on why you feel Tryndamere is OP? I think he needs buffs, actually.

Styphathal

10-30-2012

Stick with it man ...I remember when Xin, Morganna, and Kassidan were the bans. The game changes every 2 to 3 months. That is the nature of this game. Riot never wants to "balance" it. They always want the perfect imbalance.

watch this for explanation...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e31OSVZF77w

Zerglinator

10-30-2012

It would be nice if I could find champions both powerful and that I like...

The Fizznity

10-30-2012

+1

League of legends is based heavily around the following:
* Team Game (might makes right, numbers > skill)
* Mechanical reflex in CSing
* Poorly designed matchmaking (treats champions as a commodity when they are very important to how a game plays out)
* Splitting your attention several ways to keep an eye on the enemy laner, creeps, and whether you're getting ganked
* Champions which are technically viable but just underpowered enough that average skilled players can't make them work well
* A lot of binary champions like Fiora and singed, who either getr fed and wreck or are useless

Most of which is either fun or not fun for one and skills that are very difficult and boring to practice/improve. League just isn't designed for and doesn't work well when talking about a solo or duo player, period.

I half expect downvotes for this, but here's hoping I don't get them. =/

12345 ... 10