Update on League of Legends service in NA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Snoring

06-27-2012

Was everyone compensated? All of the updates stopped. @Riot

Phantomstrike

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSturm View Post
Summoners,

Lance, aka CaptSturm here. For those of you who dont know me, Im charged with maintaining the health of the League of Legends live service around the world. As you know, its been a rough week here in North America.

We are painfully aware of the problems many of you have been experiencing:

- Extended outages: The North American service has been unavailable for significant stretches of time
- Long queue times: Weve had to throttle logins and concurrent players due to these issues
- Weve also confirmed that some players are missing content: runes, rune pages, champions, etc.

This is frustrating for you, and we feel that frustration deeply. This isnt the service youve come to expect and it isnt what we want to deliver. Its been code red for engineering and support Rioters, and weve been working literally around the clock to identify and resolve these problems.

Many of you have asked for more information on whats causing these problems, and we understand that desire Im going to try my best to give you some insight into what were working on, but please understand that our first priority is to put out the fire rather than exhaustively document it.

- This patch is like an iceberg what you see on the surface is small in comparison to the behind-the-scenes infrastructure changes it includes.
- The problems were experiencing are database-related specifically, its a data throughput issue. Our infrastructure handles a massive volume of data and requests every day, and the backend changes in this patch introduced a new bottleneck.
- We put every patch through the wringer including load testing and PBE player testing, and this patch passed those tests. The problems didnt crop up until we pushed it to live. This has exposed some load testing gaps that were going to address (simulating millions of concurrent players is truly challenging).
- Over the last 48 hours, weve made substantial hardware configuration changes that we believe will address the problems. Were actively monitoring the service, but were still not out of the woods.

I know the thing you want to hear most is when everythings going to be back to normal. Id love to give you a timeframe, but we want to be absolutely confident in our solution before signaling the all-clear. Our number one priority is restoration of a stable game experience.

Thanks for your patience. Im going to continue keeping you guys up-to-date as we work to fully restore League of Legends to the service youve come to expect.

Salute,
'Sturm
Given all the problems lately, if it were in my organization and the IT Infrastructure was as mismanaged as it seems to be at riot, someone would of been shown the door by now.

Apologies are fine but action still needs to be taken. This company is looking more and more like blizzard everyday, with it's 2 day maintenance window and it's complete lack of real respect to the playerbase

Tejesh

06-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomstrike View Post
Given all the problems lately, if it were in my organization and the IT Infrastructure was as mismanaged as it seems to be at riot, someone would of been shown the door by now.

Apologies are fine but action still needs to be taken. This company is looking more and more like blizzard everyday, with it's 2 day maintenance window and it's complete lack of real respect to the playerbase
Calm down Francis.

Crow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-07-2012

so do we get any compensation?

prvate

07-07-2012

I demand free points

Fushhy

07-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by prvate View Post
I demand free points
I too, think it is not fair. Other summoners have also experienced long que to get in, and there might be other problems too (individuals).
Why would they get 1000 RP? 1000! Wouldn't it be not fair to the other part of the community? Just give 1000RP to all the community members.

^ Probably Impossible. Well, I'm just typing my feelings somewhere XP

dotaLoLHoN4noobs

08-09-2012

fix the damb servers already

Navy Pheonix

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by prissyfalcon1211 View Post
What the
hell were you thinking?!?

You've doomed us all!

Edit: Okay guys, Don't look at me like that, I even quoted the guy who brought it back. He deleted his post to try and cover his tracks.

Akasama

10-29-2012

What the hell

WukongBR

03-28-2013

Fix the servers please LanceSpurm