Riven Build Suggestions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HayabusaZero

10-29-2012

I also has this problem, as i don't think Sanguine Blade works good with Riven. Also, i haven't found a good replacement for GA yet.

In my opinion, your build with Pillage, Maw, Ruined King, LW sounds good. I'm not so sure if Ruined King goes well with Riven (even through i think is a must-buy item for AD carries), but it is better than Sanguine Blade, so no question there.

Maybe Randuin is the best defensive item for her in this map. Aegis sounds like a nice support item as well, but i don't think it beneficts Riven as good as GA does. For pure MR, i think Banshee is the answer, since it gives her health and a nice passive.

Murdnunoc

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayabusaZero View Post
I also has this problem, as i don't think Sanguine Blade works good with Riven. Also, i haven't found a good replacement for GA yet.

In my opinion, your build with Pillage, Maw, Ruined King, LW sounds good. I'm not so sure if Ruined King goes well with Riven (even through i think is a must-buy item for AD carries), but it is better than Sanguine Blade, so no question there.

Maybe Randuin is the best defensive item for her in this map. Aegis sounds like a nice support item as well, but i don't think it beneficts Riven as good as GA does. For pure MR, i think Banshee is the answer, since it gives her health and a nice passive.
I'm not too sure on the Banshees Veil since I think Hexdrinker/Maw are much better and give you the needed MR. Of course if more is needed it might be an option...but thats a slot which would then be without any AD. Randuins is nice if they have a lot of physical damage dealers.

Definitely not sure about Ruined King on Riven since she doesn't attack as much as an AD carry.

Vesh

Game Designer

10-29-2012
1 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdnunoc View Post
I have been looking at Vesh and he has been building a Frozen Mallet usually. Lord Van Damm's Pillager is of course always a great item. He doesn't often build a Grez's but does usually build a Sanguine Blade. Of course a Last Whisper depending on how much armor they have and he seems to build Hexdrinker/Maw I'm guessing depending on the opponents AP champs.

I do think building Blade of the Ruined King is not that useful even though it has a nice active. Riven just doesn't depend on auto attacks as much.

Also not sure about more defense items..since we lost Guardian's Angel...maybe a Randuins depending on their team comp.

I also do wonder about the Ichor of Rage...any good times to get it? The stats on it give so much value for the cost.

Riven is probably one of the most situation-dependent champions as far as builds. This is especially true in 3v3. Generally I always start boots doran and usually build a second doran. I DO get Grez's lantern if I'm jungling or if there is a teemo/shaco on the enemy team. I build Pillager as my first major item if we're pretty far ahead and I go back with enough gold to buy the brutalizer flat out.

Lack of BT definitely hurts, but SB has its uses too. If you are playing with a Nunu, Ez, WW, or anyone else that gives an attack speed buff, then SB will help you take Vilemaw early and also have good sustain in late game fights. Last Whisper is almost always a late game buy. I take phage into Frozen mallet if we have a week front line or if the carries on the enemy team rely on movespeed for escape instead of blinks (Udyr, Rumble, Lulu, Malph, etc).

The more important thing to understand are item synergies on Riven. These are combinations like:

Merc Treads and Grez
Ninja Tabi and Hexdrinker
Pillager and Last Whisper

Basically try to complete your build with combinations of items that compliment eachother.

Haeval

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesh View Post
Riven is probably one of the most situation-dependent champions as far as builds. This is especially true in 3v3. Generally I always start boots doran and usually build a second doran. I DO get Grez's lantern if I'm jungling or if there is a teemo/shaco on the enemy team. I build Pillager as my first major item if we're pretty far ahead and I go back with enough gold to buy the brutalizer flat out.

Lack of BT definitely hurts, but SB has its uses too. If you are playing with a Nunu, Ez, WW, or anyone else that gives an attack speed buff, then SB will help you take Vilemaw early and also have good sustain in late game fights. Last Whisper is almost always a late game buy. I take phage into Frozen mallet if we have a week front line or if the carries on the enemy team rely on movespeed for escape instead of blinks (Udyr, Rumble, Lulu, Malph, etc).

The more important thing to understand are item synergies on Riven. These are combinations like:

Merc Treads and Grez
Ninja Tabi and Hexdrinker
Pillager and Last Whisper

Basically try to complete your build with combinations of items that compliment eachother.

You reply to this, but you won't reply to a thread that directly asks YOU for a response?

.>.< Sadface...

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...2#post30779522

HayabusaZero

10-29-2012

Quote:
I'm not too sure on the Banshees Veil since I think Hexdrinker/Maw are much better and give you the needed MR. Of course if more is needed it might be an option...but thats a slot which would then be without any AD. Randuins is nice if they have a lot of physical damage dealers.

Definitely not sure about Ruined King on Riven since she doesn't attack as much as an AD carry.
I listed Banshee just in cases were you need additional MR that maybe Hexdrinker/Maw can't provide, but its just an hypothetical case.

About the Ruined King, it is true that Sanguine Blade gives you 20 AD more and stacks of 5 AD if you autoattack, but the first one has additional damage passive and a great active (additional burst). It is a hard choice, considering that Riven won't be autoattacking to much against other champs, but i think Vesh has a point in that Sanguine Blade is more beneficial if you are farming creeps or jungling.

So, maybe the recommended build would be Mercury or Tabi, Pillage, Sanguine, Maw, LW and Randuin (changing items for others if it is require).

Mnemonic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-29-2012

Riven has a neat inner stacking that turns her AD into MORE AD with her Ult. And then turns all that AD into health with a shield.

I prefer to build mostly AD items that provide her some form of defensive trait as well. Such as Hex/Maw, Bloodthirster (sadly no good equivalent on TT , IIRC), Frozen Mallet, and Atmas. If you are taking too much damage or need more mobility, Randuins synergizes very well with her kit (mobility in the form of an AoE slow here) and playstyle. If you build heavy into damage, rush the squishiest opponent. If you build tankier items (Frozen/Atmas, a randuins and some MR for example) your main role is to disrupt the opponents and provide your knockups and stuns for the team.

CDR is also incredibly good on her, as her cooldowns become VERY short when her CD is maxed. I think coming down alternating a stun or knockup every 4 seconds or so. CDR will also give her more effective health in prolonged fights, as she'll be able to use her E more often.

Murdnunoc

10-29-2012

Quote:
I listed Banshee just in cases were you need additional MR that maybe Hexdrinker/Maw can't provide, but its just an hypothetical case.

About the Ruined King, it is true that Sanguine Blade gives you 20 AD more and stacks of 5 AD if you autoattack, but the first one has additional damage passive and a great active (additional burst). It is a hard choice, considering that Riven won't be autoattacking to much against other champs, but i think Vesh has a point in that Sanguine Blade is more beneficial if you are farming creeps or jungling.

So, maybe the recommended build would be Mercury or Tabi, Pillage, Sanguine, Maw, LW and Randuin (changing items for others if it is require).
I do think for added MR Banshees wouldn't be a bad choice but maybe something like an Aegis (lose a little MR for a nice aura for team fights and even some AD) might serve a bit better(and being cheaper). Maybe even a Force of Nature for some extra move speed or Spirit Visage for some CDR depending on what you need/want. The passive on Banshees is nice, but having it block something that is meaningless is also a letdown.

Also maybe instead of building a Blade of the Ruined King, just keep it at a Bilgewater Cutlass. You lose out on 5 AD but gain 5% lifesteal and the active is pretty good on it as well(of course no scaling so not as good and it is magic damage with no stealing of the damage done as health). It also slows by 50% for 3 seconds instead of stealing 30% move speed for 2 seconds. For 1000g, I'm not sure if the passive is worth it.

HayabusaZero

10-29-2012

Quote:
I do think for added MR Banshees wouldn't be a bad choice but maybe something like an Aegis (lose a little MR for some health and a nice aura for team fights and even some AD) might serve a bit better(and being cheaper). Maybe even a Force of Nature for some extra move speed or Spirit Visage for some CDR depending on what you need/want. The passive on Banshees is nice, but having it block something that is meaningless is also a letdown.

Also maybe instead of building a Blade of the Ruined King, just keep it at a Bilgewater Cutlass. You lose out on 5 AD but gain 5% lifesteal and the active is pretty good on it as well(of course no scaling so not as good and it is magic damage with no stealing of the damage done as health). It also slows by 50% for 3 seconds instead of stealing 30% move speed for 2 seconds. For 1000g, I'm not sure if the passive is worth it.
Nice suggestions, Murdnunoc. I didn't think of Spirit Visage, and that's a great choice for Riven (gives you health, MR, CDR and 15% more efficient health regen). Also, Aegis is a great item for team fights, so it is always a good choice; and FoN gives MS and great regen.

About the Bilgewater Cutlass, it is a good choice. I believe that it really depends on what you need in the particular match, and if you are willing to pay the extra 1000 gold for the upgrade (which can be use for another item).

Vesh

Game Designer

10-29-2012
2 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Nice suggestions, Murdnunoc. I didn't think of Spirit Visage, and that's a great choice for Riven (gives you health, MR, CDR and 15% more efficient health regen). Also, Aegis is a great item for team fights, so it is always a good choice; and FoN gives MS and great regen.

About the Bilgewater Cutlass, it is a good choice. I believe that it really depends on what you need in the particular match, and if you are willing to pay the extra 1000 gold for the upgrade (which can be use for another item).

I definitely think BC into BOTRK has potential, but I'm not convinced enough yet to build it. I don't think the active is really worth the extra 1k and it doesn't synergize well with hexdrinker -> maw.

Even still, I've only played about 30-40 games on the new TT with Riven and haven't thoroughly tested this item with the rest of my build. I'll try to build it in all my ranked games this week and let you guys know how I feel about it on her xD

HayabusaZero

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesh View Post
I definitely think BC into BOTRK has potential, but I'm not convinced enough yet to build it. I don't think the active is really worth the extra 1k and it doesn't synergize well with hexdrinker -> maw.

Even still, I've only played about 30-40 games on the new TT with Riven and haven't thoroughly tested this item with the rest of my build. I'll try to build it in all my ranked games this week and let you guys know how I feel about it on her xD
That would be nice, Vesh. The idea is to find the most efficient item to replace Bloodthrister in this particular map, and i think all three options have potential (Sanguine Blade, BC and Ruined King), but each has different utilities that could make Riven great or be a waste of gold.