We should start at 0 ELO rather than 1200.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KSOAR

10-26-2012

well id say id disagree and hope riot didnt do this, then i realized how the system was made and why it cant be changed and why this will never happen

inb4 downvotes but w/e useless rants are useless

BigTallUgly

10-26-2012

Haha why would anyone bother downvoting you. You're giving yourself too much credit champ.

I'm always amused by these people who go with the line that Riot wont do anything. Hilarious! Would you use the same logic if you were in Germany in the 1930's? 1940's? I bet you've even had a history class before! And you still stick with this barbaric and boorish line of reasoning.

Never ceases to amaze. Maybe you're just too young right now.

Lostdreamers

10-27-2012

i agree i do not like starting at 1200, i think somewhere lower would be better
BUT NOT 0

first games are worth 54+. starting at zero means you would not lose elo until you win which is weird.
10 losses at 0 elo would still be 0 elo. which is my problem with your idea
i feel you should start with elo that is actually reducible.
that way you actually know "where you are placed in the ranked system"
AND when you free yourselves of the lower side how good it feels to accomplish

Eggroll9000

12-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdreamers View Post
i agree i do not like starting at 1200, i think somewhere lower would be better
BUT NOT 0

first games are worth 54+. starting at zero means you would not lose elo until you win which is weird.
10 losses at 0 elo would still be 0 elo. which is my problem with your idea
i feel you should start with elo that is actually reducible.
that way you actually know "where you are placed in the ranked system"
AND when you free yourselves of the lower side how good it feels to accomplish

If you always lose at 0, you belong at 0. You definitely don't belong at 1200 and troll every game, 9 players at a time for 100 games before you get to 0. That's trolling 900 players!!

If you're at 0, you troll 9 players, assuming all those 9 players are pretty decent and better than 0, those player are pretty much done with you in the next few games when they climb out of 0. They don't have to climb 50 games just to run into a huge wall of noobs again.

Deveyes

12-24-2012

This is the best idea ever....
you should work for riot....
Upvotes pls!
this makes sooooooooo much more sense. why start at 1200? Its like.. a tarp lol
Dude ur a boss.

edit: to elaborate

The first post actually explains elo hell in essence. If u start to lose elo due to trolls u are now under that 1200 elo door. And as he also explains, its not even trolls that are really doing the damage, its new players. So if u have a bunch of new players and a few trolls on your team every game from 0, it doesnt matter lol. Eventually you will start to go up if you keep at it. Once u start to climb u will just be playing with those who are climbing, not some absurd cloud of new players and evil trolls waiting to booty bust u back down.

And i love the simplicity behind his explanation. To add some more simplicity to the 0 rating system: you will less likely drop in rating due to trolls or new players. Its simple. Can't imagine trolls all want to work in gaining rating just to bring people back down again. lol makes no sense. And newer players who are really trying will most often just experience a tango between 0-300 or so until they are good enough to pass that barrier.

I don't understand why this isn't the rating system.. i really don't. A soft rating reset would actually make sense if it was a 0 startoff rating system lol. The way they have it now is just so ridiculous. I sometimes think they're figuring ways of making their system worse lol

BigTallUgly

12-25-2012

This is a great idea. Definitely has my approval.

Edit

For some strange reason, can't upvote the first post. Second seems to be fine though.

BigTallUgly

12-26-2012

Bump.

BigTallUgly

12-29-2012

Still a definite need.

Nyutrig

12-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get into my van View Post
Bump.

Chess starts you at 1200 elo. In SC2 you can start anywhere from Bronze to Plat, you do not start at the bottom. I placed into Gold when I first started playing sc2.

this is a logical fallacy. starcraft 2 ranking isnt dependent on random others. "elo" in league isnt even an elo system. not sure why they try to use this term because it doesnt apply to their system and it really confuses people who are bad at math and research.

BigTallUgly

12-30-2012

I'd bet a nickle they dont even know what a true Elo system is or does.

Anyway. I sure hope they pay some attention to this thread.