Shivering Jungle!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheManStache

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2012

UPDATE: I have published my first guide for Lee Sin

Ok, so lets take a step back from all the QQ threads regarding how much the new treeline sucks, and just assume that its here to stay. I mean, riot poored a lot of money into the development of this remake, they're not just going to say "eh, forget it, people dont like it. Delete it." I mean, if they would, why does dominion still exist? (ARAB). So lets figure out how to actually play the map. I'll be starting my mini series with jungling, since I am a jungle main on SR.

Who can Jungle?
Well the short answer is all of the traditional junglers. Pretty much anyone who has EVER been considered a viable jungler on SR will be capable of jungling here.

The big difference though, is that this jungle has much more gold and exp than the S2 SR jungle, but no buffs.

So this makes the "scary carry" junglers from S1 viable here. Couple that with the fact that the best way gank a lane is from over a wall and you can expect we'll be seeing shaco's, nocturnes, and fiddlesticks going on rampages, especially at lower elos.

Duelists will also be strong here, due to the fact that junglers will also be tasked with babysitting the altars. As long as the enemy jungler doesnt bring his whole team, a good lee sin will be able to protect the altar indefinitly. This means junglers like warwick, lee sin, trundle, and udyr will be very strong as well.

What about the junglers that are currently dominating the SR meta?
Champs like Amumu, Mundo, and Nautilus can still work. They just shouldn't build as tanky as they do on SR. You dont have four teammates here, everyone needs to be contributing damage wise.

Tier 1
Lee Sin, Shaco, Nocturne, Fiddlesticks, Kha Zix

Tier 2
Warwick, Shyvanna, Amumu, Udyr

Tier 3
Trundle, Dr. Mundo, Nautilus.

So how do I build?
Well the short answer is Damage. If you started playing in season 1, or even during the preseason before the last jungle remake, you'll remember how terrifying hearing "darknessss" or "CAW CAW CAW" was. And you'll know how to build. But for those who dont know, I've got your back.

The first thing many people noticed, is that wards are gone. Completely. Vision is now at a premium. Which means as a jungler your first item should be the wriggles replacement. 10 seconds of sight is perfect for checking bushes when you think the enemy might be lying in wait.

After that you should prioritize damage, and CDR. The new HoG + Brutaliser item feels almost tailored for nocturne and warwick, while nearly all junglers will benefit greatly from this item.

Another great option is Frozen Mallet. It provides a nice HP boost, decent AD, and an on hit slow, great for chasing down those pesky carries.

If the enemy team is packing a lot of magic damage, a wits end + merc treads should be all you need. Hell, one Warwick ult will give you max stacks on wits end.

What is the junglers role here?
On SR junglers have become highly mobile gank bots with tons of CC and durability. Their job is to get his teammates fed, and to tank during teamfights.

Here in the new treeline the junglers job is to babysit the alter while farming the jungle, while PROTECTING the lanes. In the early game the jungler should never force a gank, and instead react to the enemy overextending or ganking. The way the map is set up there are very few routes you can take to gank, which makes farming and counterganking more productive.

In teamfights, you should be initiating on the target that is the biggest threat. Anyone who can dive onto your carry, is the target. Sure, they have a vayne, who is doing decent damage, but she cant dive past nocturn and singed to kill ezreal. Kha zix can, and can probably get out alive too. Kill him first. Vayne will run away or die once he's dead.

What are your thoughts on jungling in the new treeline?

JonFon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2012

I found this post very helpful thank you for all the information.

How do you feel about Skarner jungle?

TheManStache

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFon View Post
I found this post very helpful thank you for all the information.

How do you feel about Skarner jungle?
To start, let me say i've never played skarner. Out of the 19 champs I DONT own, he is one of them. Everything that follows is speculation.

Skarner seems to fit in better with the tanky/cc bot/ get the carry fed junglers. However his kit is great for protecting the alter from a single invader, and will even be able to stall a team long enough for his teamates to respond. He is also pretty good at initiating, which is a huge plus for TT. His damage SEEMS low too me, which will hinder him IMO.

Just my 2 cents.

Wyvernfist

10-25-2012

Great post. Going to head into my first new-TT jungle with this in mind.

The Noble Dikdik

10-25-2012

I have to say that you are way off on Mundo - he's still top notch. Also Shyvana. Fiddles I feel is too high on your list.

Kouta

10-25-2012

Diana's jungle is absolutely insanely blisteringly fast and insane damage output while still tanking 3 ults.

WrathgarWarlord

10-25-2012

The meta for this version is build a strong level one lynch mob and then steamroll the other team into oblivion. That's it... so... you know... it's boring as hell. Jax is op on this map to the max.

Roman

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrathgarWarlord View Post
The meta for this version is build a strong level one lynch mob and then steamroll the other team into oblivion. That's it.
Basically this. The new map does not favor junglers at all and it probably never will.

TheManStache

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noble Dikdik View Post
I have to say that you are way off on Mundo - he's still top notch. Also Shyvana. Fiddles I feel is too high on your list.
Mundo is great for clearing and protecting the altar, but if he eants to gank/counter gank he has to walk all the way around the walls or burn flash. On second thought yes, I think he is too low, but he's still outshined by duelists that can instantly respond to ganks.

I feel shy is perfect where ahe is, while fiddles was placed based on his dominance in the S1 jungle. He may prove to be trash, only time will tell.

As for people saying TT is just a brawlfest, I disagree. A good competent team can easily negate early aggression teams and shut them down.

Axiom Prime

10-25-2012

I'd also say add Olaf at least into your Tier 2 list, his sustain, ult, and true damage with Ghost attached make him a deadly threat killer.