@Riot -- Go ask Lyte to explain what "arachnophobia" means

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Atyres

10-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeTrap View Post
The fact that a phobia has been documented does not mean it is common or intense. If these other phobias were as common/powerful as arachnophobia, I bet you WOULD see mods or calls for mods.

The snake one is a reasonable question, though; I thought that was pretty common. It might be that snakephobia is just less common than spiderphobia.

As for arachnophobia: it is about spiders, not arachnids. The Greek word "arachne" means "spider", not "arachnid". Arachnids are so-named because they were eventually discovered to be related to spiders. No reason why a psychological condition would be based on human taxonomic labels.

Scorpions do have some spider-y traits; I could imagine someone reacting to a scorpion like they do to a spider. I don't have that reaction, at least not to Skarner. I guess I wouldn't enjoy looking at close-up scorpion pics, but I don't think I'd get a full-on panic attack from even a detailed image or animation.
Actually I did research over arachnophobia before I opened my mouth, it includes scorpions. It includes any and all Arachnids, which includes scorpions seeing as how they have 8 legs (6 spindly, 2 claws). What I am saying is this is silly to ask for them to completely add in something new to the game because you are afraid of something. You brought up earlier the colorblind thing, that had nothing to do with fear and everything to do with a medical condition.

Ophidiophobia is quite common, they just don't complain as much (sorry if that comes off as rude) as is Cynophobia (some people are scared literally stiff when the thought of a vicious dog would attack them [ie Nasus or Warwick]). Coulrophobia (fear of clowns) is, if memory serves correctly, more common than Arachnophobia but not one thread against Shaco has been made.

Alex3omg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
i feel sry for you guys having this problem.. wish you luck with your spider-free skin

but you can't expect riot to do anything about it.. there are tons of phobias and if riot had to cancel something for each of them the game would be empty

but nobody wants riot to do anything but police the trolls posting images they know will upset people

posting spiders in a thread for arachnophobes is the same as posting gore anywhere else. how can these people have such little empathy? why is everyone so insulted that these people want to make this skin?

Atyres

10-22-2012

I don't think anyone is insulted, we just think this idea is silly. There are many other legitimate phobias that people have that have not halted their game play, so why should this one get any special attention?

Yes, you claim it can cause people to freeze up, but so can other phobias. Those with the other phobias have gotten over it and played. It is only this one that people seem so adamant about getting something special added or taken away about.

NannerNe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeTrap View Post
Sure.

Arachnophobia is dramatically more common than those others. Arachnophobes also apparently are much more likely than sufferers of these other conditions to react to an image or animation. You often see no-spiders mods for games, but rarely see no-dogs mods.

If there's a low-cost solution that doesn't affect anyone else, like a Riot-sponsored custom skin that only changes things for people who install it, why not go for it? Let's say it enables 5% of LoL's playerbase to keep playing. Heck, let's say it allows 1%. That's a lot of people who will spend money.
You keep on using this "majority rules" logic while completely failing to remember that there are far more people who AREN'T arachnophobic. And before anyone bothers arguing back with color blind mode, that is a physical medical condition that cannot be fixed. It's a different scenario entirely.

I really am sorry you have to go through that, but your phobia does not outweigh anyone else's just because "it's more common". It doesn't matter how many people have the exact same subject of fear; they're all being thrown into panic attacks all the same. The sooner you come to terms with this, the better off your case will be.

davin

Senior User Researcher

10-22-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Hello,

Other psychologist here! Just wanted to jump in here and provide some context. We actually were extremely sensitive about this--the champion team requested some work be done to investigate the potential impact this would have on arachnophobic individuals.

I was responsible for the literature review on incidence rates. We turned to the primary literature to see how many players might be impacted by this, and found that the overall incidence rate to expect was slightly lower than for ophidophobia (snake fear, which has partial precedent in impact via Cassiopeia--though likely lesser severity due to her being half-humanoid).

Nonetheless, the potential impact was treated very seriously--after all, phobias are a big deal (and not at all a sign of being "crazy"). For players who are affected so negatively by Elise, we recommend a model swap, which other players have some handy guides for.

TL;DR: We definitely understand the gravity of phobia, and don't want to marginalize those with phobias. We recommend players who are swap Elise's model, so they can play without any worry!

Who is Sexy

10-22-2012

thx davin

Rabidwhale

Alex3omg

10-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
Hello,

Other psychologist here! Just wanted to jump in here and provide some context. We actually were extremely sensitive about this--the champion team requested some work be done to investigate the potential impact this would have on arachnophobic individuals.

I was responsible for the literature review on incidence rates. We turned to the primary literature to see how many players might be impacted by this, and found that the overall incidence rate to expect was slightly lower than for ophidophobia (snake fear, which has partial precedent in impact via Cassiopeia--though likely lesser severity due to her being half-humanoid).

Nonetheless, the potential impact was treated very seriously--after all, phobias are a big deal (and not at all a sign of being "crazy"). For players who are affected so negatively by Elise, we recommend a model swap, which other players have some handy guides for.

TL;DR: We definitely understand the gravity of phobia, and don't want to marginalize those with phobias. We recommend players who are swap Elise's model, so they can play without any worry!

Do you think Riot will be able to implement a model swap option that's easier to do? Like a checkbox that changes the way certain champions look/sound? I vote make the spiders look like wolves. Elsee can turn into a giant wolf.

Dragull2

10-22-2012

Play draft mode and ban her.

exelsis xax

10-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
Hello,

Both elise and cass are pretty hot ladies. It's a benefit of becoming fearless.