Skin ideas and other art

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1868f96adc7cecbd8e248

10-19-2012

Hello everyone,

since I got a lot of positive feedback on my dA account, I thought I'd try sharing these here! These are the first two of my skin ideas for Lux. More will be incoming once I get the time to draw them (already have at least 2 more in mind)!

edit: added Snowdown 2011 Skin sketches
edit: added sketches for Battlemage Lux and Blackthorn Zyra
edit: added design for Avatar Lux's baton
edit: added mockup of the animation for Avatar Lux's Finales Funkeln

With the help of the lolking model viewer and some tracing I was able to make a mockup animation of the ultimate for Avatar Lux! Since I'm not very experienced with 2d animation, I'll try to describe what it's supposed to show: When Lux ults, her wings "detach" from her, and start growing and flaring out. The two separate pieces of each wing drift slightly further apart, with the lower one nearing the ground. As Lux approaches completion of her cast, the wings start to glow brightly, reaching full brightness at the same time the beam fires. They then quickly animate back to the normal position and brightness over a few frames, while leaving behind a glowing afterimage of the position they were in at peak brightness that dissipates after a short time.

edit: added ability study for Avatar Lux's Light Binding

I like all of Lux's animations very much and wouldn't want a lot changed on them as they really fit her character well! The wings would move a little on spellcasts to reinforce the dynamic motion, moreso on Q than W and E probably, since she's casting those standing upright. The rainbow theme on particles should probably stay as well (different particles would fit other Lux skins better, I think), with a possible slight shift to blue as a more dominant colour to fit the wings. If possible, the glowing part of her baton could leave a light trail on some animations to make them look a bit more powerful.

edit: added mockup for in-game Avatar Lux

Since I'm a novice at 3d modeling, I painted these over screenshots. I don't know if the back of the skin needs more designs or if that would produce visual clutter clashing with the wings, an actual 3d model would be needed to tell, I guess!

edit: added mock Splash Art for Avatar Lux (completed now)

edit: added Splash Art for Battlecast Prime Lulu (not really a serious skin suggestion)

If you're interested, you can see more of my art including lots of LoL fanart at http://cubehero.deviantart.com/

Minzzway

10-19-2012

Well. No point in me making any more skins, Lux or not.
These just put mine to shame.

IS1868f96adc7cecbd8e248

10-19-2012

Quote:
Well. No point in me making any more skins, Lux or not.
These just put mine to shame.
No! Don't say that that's definitely not why I posted this here! Just keep at it and, as Lux says, stay positive!

Minzzway

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot Tower View Post
No! Don't say that that's definitely not why I posted this here! Just keep at it and, as Lux says, stay positive!
Yeah, I'm just really jealous of your skill.
It's really amazing, how long do they take? And how long have you been drawing?

IS1868f96adc7cecbd8e248

10-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFiore View Post
Yeah, I'm just really jealous of your skill.
It's really amazing, how long do they take? And how long have you been drawing?
I've been drawing for as long as I can remember pretty much. I paused in between for long intervals, feeling down because of my perceived lack of skill when I was younger, though. That was a really huge mistake, and something I regret now. If you go to my dA gallery, I keep my older pictures there to visualize my improvement to myself and to others in case they might feel daunted - you'll improve, too, if you keep at it, just don't give in to doubts and don't compare yourself to others too much. Those are the pointers I can try to give you from my personal experience.

Regarding time spent on the individual pictures, I always forget keeping track of that . I think the Avatar Lux painting took about 12 hours while the design took 4 or so (lots of time wasted trying to get the face right). Noble Lux is a bit older and I don't really remember, but I hope this helps!

Raynor1337

10-21-2012

Those skins for Lux need to happen!!!

VictoryNibbles

10-22-2012

That first Lux skin. Hell, both non-holiday ones....

Riot, PLZ. kthnx

IS1868f96adc7cecbd8e248

10-23-2012

RiotPenguin

Concept Artist

Follow RiotPenguin on Twitter

10-23-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

That Lux skin is very cool. - It'd be awesome to see some ability studies to see what happens with her wings win shes ults!

theparadox92

10-24-2012

I don't normally post on the Art forums, but I've been a Lux fan since I first tried her over a year ago and she's still my favorite character. That Lux skin with the wings.....I want.

To quote most of GD: "Riot plz"