Ward Skins - Long Term Plan

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EviIGreenRanger

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-19-2012

Thanks for the information. Giving temporary ward skins for cheap IP is nice and a good idea imo, but the RP really isn't worth it if temporary. If it was permanent then it would be worth the RP imo.

NordicBeserkr

10-19-2012

You're still being thick-headed. No matter what we say you refuse to make the Harrowing wards permanent. I'm glad you decided not to make the ward skins only rentals in the future, but WE WANT THE HARROWING SKINS PERMANENTLY ALSO. Come on, do you have selective hearing or something? Holy crapoli.

Runix

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
For ward skins longer term, if they stay in the game, there will be a selection of permanent ward skins that are always available. There may also be permanent wards skins that can only be purchased for a limited time, as well as seasonal options available for rent.
One more point from me: I have no problem with "out of season" wards, just as I have no problem with "out of season" skins. I absolutely would be willing to purchase one or more of the current seasonal ward skins for use on a permanent basis, and hope I will have that option.

Quartaroy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-19-2012

Quote:
Hi all, here are our takeaways from yesterday's ward skin feedback.

1) Most players like the idea of ward skins.
2) Most players dislike the idea of rental content, especially for RP, and when that content cannot be purchased permanently.
3) The Shadow Isles ward skin test has some flaws, which have been covered in detail in other threads.
4) The ward skin communication made those flaws worse.

The Shadow Isles event will still take place as planned, but this feedback has been heard and will impact our approach going forward for ward skins and other new types of content. This remains a test of player interest in seasonal ward skins for rent, and of ward skins impact on gameplay, not the beginning of a master plan to move League of Legends to a rental business model. New types of content going forward will rarely if ever be available for rent. For ward skins longer term, if they stay in the game, there will be a selection of permanent ward skins that are always available. There may also be permanent wards skins that can only be purchased for a limited time, as well as seasonal options available for rent. I will keep the community updated as those decisions are made and the reasons behind them.

Thank you for your passion for League of Legends and for helping us make it a better game.
I believe an idea came up the other day regarding renting for IP and purchasing for RP. Seemed pretty good to me.

MG z3rg3m3ow

10-19-2012

Puny Ancus

Recruiter

10-19-2012

I still love you Hippalus, can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve!

imweasel09

10-19-2012

Quote:
Hi all, here are our takeaways from yesterday's ward skin feedback.

1) Most players like the idea of ward skins.
2) Most players dislike the idea of rental content, especially for RP, and when that content cannot be purchased permanently.
3) The Shadow Isles ward skin test has some flaws, which have been covered in detail in other threads.
4) The ward skin communication made those flaws worse.

The Shadow Isles event will still take place as planned, but this feedback has been heard and will impact our approach going forward for ward skins and other new types of content. This remains a test of player interest in seasonal ward skins for rent, and of ward skins impact on gameplay, not the beginning of a master plan to move League of Legends to a rental business model. New types of content going forward will rarely if ever be available for rent. For ward skins longer term, if they stay in the game, there will be a selection of permanent ward skins that are always available. There may also be permanent wards skins that can only be purchased for a limited time, as well as seasonal options available for rent. I will keep the community updated as those decisions are made and the reasons behind them.

Thank you for your passion for League of Legends and for helping us make it a better game.
Why can't you just let us buy the harrowing ward skins permanently? Players clearly want them. I know for a fact I'd shell out some dough if it meant I could place year round tomb angels or bat o lanterns instead of this 8k rp for a year business.

Tsumae

10-19-2012

If you really want to test the ward skin idea, why not make them cheaper, or even free, since they are temporary? Maybe take away the fact they last a week, and only just allow them available during this season. That will be a great way for people to test it, as well as NOT waste IP or RP that they won't get back, for something temporary.

VoltNinjA

10-19-2012

so permanent yes : )

Hippalus

eCommerce Director

10-19-2012
2 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carunei View Post
5) Majority of players don't buy wards and thus do not care, while some will see this as a reason to buy some
I'll have to see if we track the number of wards placed per game somewhere in the mountains of data around here. It would be interesting to see how this impacts that stat.