@Morello, can we talk about Urgot?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ganelon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

I have no guarantee that he will be less busy in the future, and selfish though it is, this is easily the most important thing in the game to me. I'm not about to let it slide without at least a second response, nor am I going to wait for the S3 changes to roll around so that Riot can claim that Urgot's been fixed without actually reverting his most damaging nerfs in the process.

If he's too powerful in his previous state, they can find another way to bring him down or provide a convincing reason for why nerfing his signature skill was the only possible solution to the problem. They haven't proven to have attempted either, and I'm not satisfied.

TenDz

10-19-2012

bump, still need to talk about Urgot

Morello

Lead Designer

10-19-2012
2 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Hey there,

I want to share my thoughts about Urgot to a greater extent, but I need to get more information - this could be a place where we nerfed too fast, or it was valid. Need to consult with live bros and analyze.

I'll come back to this!
My thought here is that we overnerfed Urgot, but he also lacks counter-play for being such a unique kit otherwise. It makes it so if he's really good, he just poops on the game a bit, but he is pretty fun and distinct.

After Season 3, FeralPony is gonna look at some ways we can fix this under the hood - along with new itemization that makes sense for him. Not a full rework, but some smart changes that make him a bit more healthy as a character (and therefore lets us more sensibly balance him).

Eledrial

10-19-2012

You do mean 2, right?

Melroy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-19-2012

Quote:
My thought here is that we overnerfed Urgot, but he also lacks counter-play for being such a unique kit otherwise. It makes it so if he's really good, he just poops on the game a bit, but he is pretty fun and distinct.

After Season 3, FeralPony is gonna look at some ways we can fix this under the hood - along with new itemization that makes sense for him. Not a full rework, but some smart changes that make him a bit more healthy as a character (and therefore lets us more sensibly balance him).
Would it be too hard to ask for some of his tankyness back after the ult range nerf, the Q range nerf, and the E range nerf? Like, seriously, give him his old shield stats back or something.

Morello

Lead Designer

10-19-2012
3 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melroy View Post
Would it be too hard to ask for some of his tankyness back after the ult range nerf, the Q range nerf, and the E range nerf? Like, seriously, give him his old shield stats back or something.
It's a bigger project, specific suggestions really don't help a lot in this sense because we'll be changing things up a bit - making the current stuff invalid in some cases.

Melroy

10-19-2012

Quote:
It's a bigger project, specific suggestions really don't help a lot in this sense because we'll be changing things up a bit - making the current stuff invalid in some cases.
I just don't want him to be left in the dust like some other champs in the past. I would imagine this change is probably far in the making, and I hate seeing a champ remain underpowered for a long time (like old eve or karma). Any sorta ETA on this sort of update for him?

Also, thanks for the update. We Urgot players thank you.

Ganelon

10-19-2012

The only way I could imagine new items helping Urgot would be if his scaling was improved or they gave him direct improvements to it (the commonly suggested "physical damage abilities deal X% more damage" passive comes to mind). Since you're here, though, could you please explain what was so problematic about Acid Hunter's range that it had to be nerfed not only at level 1, but permanently throughout all stages of the game? I'm a huge fan of building Urgot as a glass cannon and using his range as a defense mechanism, and it kind of defeats the purpose when I can no longer safely shoot at someone who has fled behind their teammates without putting myself in danger. The relatively large downtime involved in attempting to re-target anyone using corrosive charge makes range like this necessary, because once your intended target gets away you're just shooting blindly into the crowd until your cooldowns allow you to pick a new one.

Thanks for finally responding, by the way.

IS1c4d0c584523e580653b4

10-19-2012

Quote:

Happy to hear he's being looked at! He's so unique and interesting both visually and kit-wise, but not very viable; makes me sad

Ganelon

10-19-2012

I'd say that if you want to draw the line between making Urgot a bruiser versus a mobile artillery platform without rendering one style invalid, put a scaling-per-rank lock on range buff on corrosive charge and bring the shield back into viability. You either get to level up the potency of your slow and your capacity to survive damage, or you get to hit people from a safe distance while allowing them plenty of freedom to run away in the process. It's all but guaranteed that one of those two skills will be ignored throughout the entire midgame.

Hopefully that suggestion isn't too specific to be considered.