Was Nerfing Ezreals 'W' too much?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lunaria

10-19-2012

he still has a super fast, long range, cheap poke
and the best reposition skill in the game

and essence flux still gives ezreal attack speed, does damage, and buffs allies

red already stated that ezreal was meant to be a slippery poking champ and currently he's just an overpowering beat down sort of deal that is also slippery

YAYpeptoBIZMOL

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zidanic View Post
Wrong it width was increased to 120 yet nerfed to 80 how is that fixing the hitbox when it was meant to be 120.
And as AP Ezreals main nuke having it reduced to 80 is painfull make's him even higher skill cap.

V1.0.0.81:
Essence Flux missile width increased to 120 from 100.
V1.0.0.146:

Essence Flux:
Damage reduced to 70/115/160/205/250 from 80/130/180/230/280.
Ability Power ratio increased to 0.8 from 0.6.
Width reduced to 80 from 120.
The reason it was reduced was to match the particle effects of the spell more closely. Did you ever have the W hit a champ when it was nowhere near them? I sure did.

Thats what i meant by my post. Plus, the patch you referenced "V1.0.0.81" was from 2010. 2 years to change the width of a spell is fine in my book. Maybe in 2 years they'll change it back for you.

YAYpeptoBIZMOL

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunaria View Post
he still has a super fast, long range, cheap poke
and the best reposition skill in the game

and essence flux still gives ezreal attack speed, does damage, and buffs allies

red already stated that ezreal was meant to be a slippery poking champ and currently he's just an overpowering beat down sort of deal that is also slippery

Best repositioning? howso? because Corki has a much longer reposition. Graves has a dash, which also gives him a HUGE AS steriod.

Essence flux does damage? maybe if you're going AP, which at that point is irrelivant to the "He's too much for the AD carry to handle" argument.

Also, he's not so much of a beat down champ as much as an oppourtunistic killer. he jumps in after he chips their health away, and at that point, it is their fault for not dodging Ez's skills or not basing.

Morello

Lead Designer

10-19-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYpeptoBIZMOL View Post
Yes, he has long range harrass, but if you were to try to trade with almost any other AD carry 1v1 at level 1, he would lose.
That's part of the point, since Ezreal is more effective at choosing engagement times and has the ability to wear down opponents very well. He can't have that and superior trades

YAYpeptoBIZMOL

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
That's part of the point, since Ezreal is more effective at choosing engagement times and has the ability to wear down opponents very well. He can't have that and superior trades
True enough. And I understand the position of taking away the AS debuff, but completely removing it? Did you guys discuss other alternatives other than just a complete wipe of his Debuff?

Also, on a sidenote, I saw you at Gameworks the second night at PAX. Was gonna ask you for a game of Marvel or Tekken but the people I was with wanted to leave =/

Lunaria

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYpeptoBIZMOL View Post
Best repositioning? howso? because Corki has a much longer reposition. Graves has a dash, which also gives him a HUGE AS steriod.

Essence flux does damage? maybe if you're going AP, which at that point is irrelivant to the "He's too much for the AD carry to handle" argument.

Also, he's not so much of a beat down champ as much as an oppourtunistic killer. he jumps in after he chips their health away, and at that point, it is their fault for not dodging Ez's skills or not basing.
you probably aren't doing it right then. the way he is currently he can just teleport right on top of someone and unload after getting a few points in essence flux. point blank shots are near impossible to avoid and then he already has +30% attack speed and a -30% on you(which is way more powerful than the +30%)
Unless your support is way better than his your going to lose the trade by a huge margin

at the same time he has a really good long range poke that can whittle people down and easy escapes. He's literally so perfect at what he does at the moment tourney players can first pick him without fear of counter picking.

and yes it does do damage. 100+ magic damage early game is nothing to scoff at.

ezreal's reposition skill has the unique bonuses of being a teleport mechanic. once he starts it nothing stops it. Other AD like tristana or corki can be yanked out of the air during theirs. It also does maintain his own attack speed buff

Blaster

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
you should have just nerfed the range of w by a **** ton. meaning he has to commit commit to really dominate the other ad. -_- i mean, WHO CARES ABOUT AP EZ~!?

Arachnid Decoy

10-19-2012

Is the idea that ezreal might potentially have a weakness so horrifying? He's still going to be a lane bully with his spammable, low cost poke and high mobility. He just won't also outduel most other AD carries.

As for buffing other AD carries vs nerfing ezreal... this is crazy conjecture, but I think an overall reduction in the power of AD carries isn't a bad thing. It might make the meta a little less constant and possibly add to the viability of melee carries.

YAYpeptoBIZMOL

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunaria View Post
you probably aren't doing it right then. the way he is currently he can just teleport right on top of someone and unload after getting a few points in essence flux. point blank shots are near impossible to avoid and then he already has +30% attack speed and a -30% on you(which is way more powerful than the +30%)
Unless your support is way better than his your going to lose the trade by a huge margin

ezreal's reposition skill has the unique bonuses of being a teleport mechanic. once he starts it nothing stops it. Other AD like tristana or corki can be yanked out of the air during theirs. It also does maintain his own attack speed buff
Unique bonus of a teleport? Kassadin has a teleport on a much lower cooldown. A guess for an AD carry it is unique.

It maintains his attack speed buff because thats part if his passive. If you are using his blink to go in for a kill early game and you dont get ahead or you trade equally you are almost guaranteed to be hurting for mana, unless you have a soraka of course.

lolskyler

10-19-2012

@morello
How will ezreal match up in lane when someone gets a vamp scepter, and/or has any support with a heal in lane. With this current nerf i feel like he will have a weaker 1v1 than any other champ, and the only thing he will have going for him is his mobility. Which is cool, but many other adc's have gap closing abilities.