Ward Skin Experiment

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ragias

10-18-2012

I don't really see how these are any different from boosts which are already basically rentals.Just enjoy them for a little as a cool thing you can do during the holiday.

Captain Alejo

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
I actually thought there would be interest in being able to spend small amounts of RP or IP to get something cool for the holiday. Do you think that is fundamentally wrong, or does that make sense, but the problem that there is not also the option to buy it permanently for a reasonable price?
It is interesting that you bring up that question about this being fundamentally wrong/right. From an objective third-party perspective, the idea of rentals seems great. They are actually used a lot in different f2p games (with varying degrees of success).

For example, when I actually still played Maplestory there were no permanent options for cash-shop gear. That has slowly changed over time as the needs of consumers have also changed.

I never found the idea of rentals in Maplestory as distasteful as I do here for LoL because they had established that rule from the cash-shops inception. For LoL we have always had permanent content. It has created a system where we can place more value on our purchases because we know we will get "unlimited" use out of something.

When the idea of "rentals" comes up here, in an ecosystem that has only every experienced permanent purchases, I immediately feel like I'm being cheated/scammed. I immediately feel like this is being implemented in order to sap more money from me on a regular basis, and to punish me for not playing as often as humanly possible. Since, unlike with permanent items, I have a limit to how much use I can get out of something.

Despite this being how some of the double IP/EXP items work, I feel it is a different discuss when you are talking about content purchases.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier replies to the issue - I am absolutely into the idea of permanent ward skins, and other small add-ons like this, and fully intend to purchase these items should a permanent solution be available.

On a side note, rentals that only function off IP are far less heinous than ones for RP imo. I'd still be far less inclined to invest if it was a rental, but seeing as how it would only cost currency that I earn for free drastically diminishes the negative connotations associated with the ideal of a for-cash rental system.

tl;dr: There's nothing wrong with a rental system at face value, but integrating a rental system into an existing ecosystem where all purchases are "permanent" makes those rental items feel like a bad investment to me as a consumer.

Navvan

10-18-2012

I will say this, the idea of "temporary content" that is available for RP is insulting and a bad path to head down. I view it as far worse than not having the skins at all.

The logical part of me says that its perfectly reasonable to charge a small fee for a temporary cosmetic change for the season for those who feel festive, and that this would be a good way to testing a new product without any consequences to game play or to much investment. My emotive response however says that I'm paying money for something that you are taking away for no other reason than that you can. That is my opinion/feelings on the matter, but it seems to be one many others share.

That said I have no objection to a small IP charge for it.

darkwithless

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

btw there has been a poll up for over an hour about this:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2694926

CoolHandJack

10-18-2012

It seems like you should have released the ward skins for permanent purchase, if there was no interest then that is the last of the ward skins ever released, why would you have to remove them at all, even if interest was low?

Ralik098

10-18-2012

@ Hippalus

I'm sure that this has likely been brought up in the thread before but I just wanted to chime in. First, I know that this thread is for discussing wards but I would like to discuss the new icons with you. Specifically the fact that you MUST buy RP within this month in order to receive these icons, if you don't then you obviously won't be getting these icons.

I have to admit I'm a little upset with this method of distributing the new skins because I will likely not get a single one of them. Not because I don't plan to spend any RP this month, but because I don't plan to buy any RP. The reason for this is because I already have over 10k RP sitting in my account from previous purchases. When I already have such a large amount of RP I can't justify spending the necessary $50-100 just to acquire these icons. However, I am certain that I will be spending at least 2-3k in RP this month just to get the Harrowing skins. Anyways, my question is, why not make the icon either purchasable for a set amount of RP/IP or give them away based on how much RP is spent during the month? I am sure there are plenty of other people in my position that purchased tons of RP during the double RP bonus that you ran last month. Setting it up so that only people who buy RP can get them just looks greedy.

Jaesaces

10-18-2012

I don't like the idea of temporary purchased items in LoL at all. It sets a rather dangerous precedent, putting the "buy once, have it forever" way of dealing in LoL at risk.

If I had to pick something to have be temporary, though, I'd rather the holiday SKINS be cheap and temporary, maybe even purchasable with IP. People complain that "they weren't here last year" for certain holiday skins. Making them temporary and cheap would make them a treat for more reason than "I was there two years ago!"

Personally, I think it was the wrong choice to test interest in ward skins with the introduction of a business model currently absent in LoL, especially one so reviled in many other games. Rather than that, I'd have made the first few new ward skins low-profile (not holiday themed, don't look too much different than regular wards) to gauge interest in the idea without making too big an impact.

Hippalus

eCommerce Director

10-18-2012
5 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenrel View Post
why do you have to remove them?

you are assuming there is this mandatory step in the process if the wards "fail" but there isn't.

they exist, they will already have a tab, be storable, and be usable ingame, they will be fully implemented in the game, and aside from removing the store tab if they are no longer available for purchase what possible reason would there be for removing the wards themselves if they are a financial failure?

there isn't one. there may be other reason's to make them not permanent, but "can't remove them if they fail" isn't one of them.
We all play LoL and want it to be around for many, many years, and we try to make decisions with that in mind. If ward skins prove to not be viable for some reason, it does not make sense to maintain a tab in the store or to have our in-game design team account for them indefinitely into the future. That tab in the store would someday need to be replaced by a tab for something that players want and that makes the game better.

Therefore, we had a couple choices. We could have done months of research to develop and justify a launch plan for making ward skins a permanent part of the game. Instead, we came up with a plan that could be implemented in weeks and that would give us much more relevant information (although admittedly not perfect). This experimentation process may be somewhat more painful in the short term, but a few years from now I have no doubt that our game will be better because of these types of tests, not in spite of them.

Craixis

10-18-2012

Hipp I think you have a verdict, there are hundreds of people wanting to pick up these skins, IF they would last all year round.
Because they're not permanent, people may NOT buy them, resulting in them seeming like a failure (when in fact people like me WANT them, I hate paying for a "rental" digital item though, this is why I don't play Combat Arms).
I mean, I really really really really want those tree wards (Maokai main, it'd fit soooo well when I'm jungling), plus it shows who on the team IS warding (if I have tree wards, and say Frank has regular wards and is complaining no one is warding, and everyone else has a ward on the map, you can point and laugh at Frank... stupid Frank =P).

I really hope you do make these permanent, I want to see what you do for Christmas and Easter!
Plus, we support mains really need some love...

Runix

10-18-2012

My feedback for what it's worth:

The ward skins are a great idea, and what players have been wanting for a long time. So good move on adding them to the content!

The rental only model is a terrible idea. When players spend RP (really, $$$) on something, they want it to be permanent. Even the IP boosts work that way: the boost is temporary, but the IP you gain is permanent. This is not. Again, when players spend RP, they want something permanent.

If Riot wanted to experiment with the skins, that's what the PBE is for; or, alternately, they could simply have transformed all the wards for a week or so, then reverted back while giving players the chance to buy a permanent transformation for their wards with RP. That would have been much better than this misbegotten experiment.

Finally, to the concern that players would not be interested and that this would have to be rolled back: not the case. Players love customization and have been asking for custom wards for forever, and there will be no need to roll this back. Make it permanent and players will love it.

Also, due credit for wading into the downvote firestorm. You wanted feedback, you're getting it!